Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Have I not being arguing that pitching is the biggest need of this team?
:yep:

Haven't I been arguing for you to post your picture :troll: :smug:

CODE_BLUE56

Ded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
2012 is going to be a long season even if the Cubs sign Fielder alone....

Cubs need pitching from somewhere, because Wells and Cashner can't be counted on as more than 5th starters.

frankly, i dont think the cubs pitching is really that bad(considering we do have a good top 3 in the starting rotation with demp,garza,and zam)

but i think you did highlight a legitimate concern..which is the inconsistency of the back end of the rotation(wells has control and confidence issues...and then lopez?:dunno:) and our bullpen isnt too great either(gotta keep those leads)...hopefully wood can help be a solid glue guy and leader in the bullpen( yes,yes i know..playing the leadership card, but i think in this case...wood can be a good mentor figure with his experience)

if we dont get fielder(or decide not to go all in, or something happens on fielder's end, which im apprehensively thinking will happen) then i think the cubs should atleast think about looking for a pitcher to help the starting rotation, like a CJ wilson...

although i do support getting an ace...i think getting wilson would be big(4 solid pitchers upfront that can do 6-8 innings,3 ER or less...one less question mark spot in the back of the rotation)..imo thats a good consolation prize to getting an ace

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't mind Randy Wells as the fifth starter because I really, really don't want Andrew Cashner to be the fifth starter out of the gate next year. I just see Kerry Wood/Mark Prior redux if Cashner is counted on to taking a turn every fifth day next season.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I don't mind Randy Wells as the fifth starter because I really, really don't want Andrew Cashner to be the fifth starter out of the gate next year. I just see Kerry Wood/Mark Prior redux if Cashner is counted on to taking a turn every fifth day next season.
Agree for different reasons, but :) Call me ignorant on my knowledge of the Cubs farm, but are guys like Jay Jackson or Mcnutt MLB ready?

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
cashner has never been a starter.

randy wells blows.

big IFS with zambrano and demp next year.

So if you say the SP is good, your in for a long year.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

randy wells blows.

I'd say the Cubs have a solid 2-3-4-5 in Garza, Z, Dempster, and Wells. Unfortunately, those guys will be 1-2-3-4 more than likely. That would concern me.

CODE_BLUE56

Ded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:

randy wells blows.

i never said it was good..but i dont think its awful if everyone is healthy

but i do agree there are some serious question marks in the pitching staff that need to be addressed...

thing is..i,nor do many of us, know the exact approach the Cubs personnel are taking regarding free agency this summer

that we shall see

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:

randy wells blows.

The bolded is just wrong. He was a starter in college prior to his final year when he was converted to closer. He was only a starter in 2009 in the minors with 24 starts, and he started 9 games in the minors in 2010. Now I've been very clear about arguing to monitor his workload because he hasn't ever gone through a full 160+ innings as a starter, but to say he has never been a starter is wrong.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The bolded is just wrong. He was a starter in college prior to his final year when he was converted to closer. He was only a starter in 2009 in the minors with 24 starts, and he started 9 games in the minors in 2010. Now I've been very clear about arguing to monitor his workload because he hasn't ever gone through a full 160+ innings as a starter, but to say he has never been a starter is wrong.

fine, not never. but not enough to warrant him being an everyday starter when that isnt really what he is.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
fine, not never. but not enough to warrant him being an everyday starter when that isnt really what he is.

If your point is that the Cubs can't count on Cashner to be healthy for a full season next year or that isn't in the Cubs best interests long term to have Cashner pitch a major league starter's workload then we completely agree. I've just seen in multiple places the idea that Cashner can't be a starter based on the fact that he has never done it before floated, and that as I said is just wrong.

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
I have said to just have Cashner as a RP for the time being. I don't want him to have too many innings under him and he'll injure his arm again. Maybe in a couple years as his arm gets stronger.

A bullpen of Marmol, Wood, Marshall, Cashner, Carpetner and Russell looks solid. With another pitcher added. Maybe Ty'Relle Harris (I like him).

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
I have said to just have Cashner as a RP for the time being. I don't want him to have too many innings under him and he'll injure his arm again. Maybe in a couple years as his arm gets stronger.

A bullpen of Marmol, Wood, Marshall, Cashner, Carpetner and Russell looks solid. With another pitcher added. Maybe Ty'Relle Harris (I like him).

I still try to have Cashner be a starting pitcher. If he can become top of rotation SP thats more important then RP

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I want the Cubs to continue to try Cashner as a starter, but he needs to be handled very carefully next season. I just fear that if he is put in the rotation right away that it will lead to bad things long term for Cashner.

Status
Not open for further replies.