What If Nagy Is Playing the Long Con?

Black Rainbow

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
lol, ok

soon as Nagy sees what he wants from Fields, ain't nothin on earth gon stop him from putting the kid in

Nagy wants to ball out as much as anyone else
I'm half joking.

I think it's possible there's a general directive not to rush Fields out there if Dalton is playing well. Dalton will either have to get injured or really suck for Fields to get the nod.

It's going to be a fluid situation. Like what do you do if around week 11 you're 7-4 with Dalton? And Dalton has been playing well....do you start a rookie then? I mean your playoff bound. Why change something?

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm half joking.

I think it's possible there's a general directive not to rush Fields out there if Dalton is playing well. Dalton will either have to get injured or really suck for Fields to get the nod.

It's going to be a fluid situation. Like what do you do if around week 11 you're 7-4 with Dalton? And Dalton has been playing well....do you start a rookie then?
I mean, stay with Dalton? He's not the future, but if he has a great year and it's working well, I guess you keep Dalton in, right?

Black Rainbow

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I actually welcome halftime's cynicism. He ended up being right about Trubisky. I think he's wrong about Fields, but none of us know that yet. I'm cool with what he has to say, though I disagree. Our disagreeing is not at all affecting how my delicious lunch is tasting. Time will bear (see what I did there?) all this out.
You know what?

I appreciate you saying that - thanks.

dbldrew

Liked Posts:
Either he is the answer to our QB problems or he is not.. In 5 years nobody is going to be bitching that he should of started week 1 vs week 5,6,7 etc..

Finding out is Nagy is also Special person with Dalton is much more important then starting Fields week 1

greg23

Liked Posts:
By Long Con, figured you meant:

Start Dalton almost all year no matter what and hide Fields .

That way; no matter your record and inability to coach; the promising rookie is now "really ready" for 2022 and the BHVWGHC should be brought back not fired!

Black Rainbow

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If Dalton is putting up 250 yards and roughly 2 TDs a game...are you going to be vocal about starting Fields around week 7 or 8?

CHIBEAR

Liked Posts:
no excuse?

like being a rookie that never took a snap in the NFL?

jfc man, chill

Fields gon lead this team for decades if they don't fuck it up. And no part of not fucking it up requires Fields out there day 1.

So being a rookie means you cant start ?

As I said Dalton was not answer when we signed him and hes damn sure not the answer now . Justin Fields could be the answer so why waste damn time on someone we know aint the answer instead of using every possible resource to find out of Fields in the answer .

There is ZERO reason for Fields not to start day one for this franchise NONE all you are doing is making excuses

Liked Posts:
I dont think his own players will tolerate anymore ineptitude from this HC.

Especially the defense thats been hung out to dry by their "genius" HC for 2 of the last 3 seasons.

You can tell just by the looks on their faces when theyre playing the good soldiers to the public.

This clown threw his last QB under the bus publically. Yes Mitch stunk and his teammates were likely frustrated with hin too. But YOU DON'T throw your own players under the bus publically, or vice versa.

These players are not going to forget that. Especially now that Nagy got his way AND got his guy.

The LAST thing these players want to worry about is the job security of MR. "I cant run my offense with this kid", when he has his own handpicked QB on the sidelines in spite if him potentially practicing better than any QB on the roster.

Montgomery publically commented directly at Nagy that he should get more carries. Which he is spot on about.

Montgomery may not be the best HB or the best HB at any one or group of combine drills that fans put WAY too much stock into, but I do believe that Montgomery can be as statistically productive as any HB in the division. Or at least come close.

These players are not going to stay silent much longer over fourth year HC angling around his own genius monikers and job security while they're taking lumps every Sunday and their individual windows close more and more.

I think that Pace, in all of his flaws has still given Nagy a roster with plenty of talent to significantly clear the overall .500 mark. I also believe if Mitch starts every game in 2020 and Nagy isnt calling plays the Bears go 10-6 or at least 9-7.

Mitch may not have had or lost the support of the locker room, but I really think the new kid does.

Especially if he continues to outperform Dalton in every single facet.

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If Dalton is putting up 250 yards and roughly 2 TDs a game...are you going to be vocal about starting Fields around week 7 or 8?
If he puts up 250/2 and looks shaky, and we are losing, and Fields has looked great in practice, or late relief? I may put in Fields. If Dalton is putting up 250/2 and we are winning, I think you keep him in until the season is over.

I'm always torn about when to start rookies. I want Fields in ASAP. He's the future of our team. Dalton is just a stop-gap. BUT if Fields isn't ready, if we don't have a solid OL and offense for him, maybe wait while he develops?

I've seen it work both ways. I'm eager to get Fields out there, for sure.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Even though Nagy says that there is no way that Justin Fields can win the starting job in training camp, I have doubts about how sincere that is. If he's the better QB, he should be the starter to give us the best chance to win. I wonder if Nagy is playing a long con game to make the opposition plan for Andy Dalton in the first few games, and then blow their plans away by starting Justin Fields. The game plan against Andy Dalton would be different against an athletic play maker like Justin Fields. I don't see a reason why a coach would give the opposition a hand by naming a starter so early in the season. Maybe he's just throwing some disinformation out there to trick the opposition.
You do realize the guy doesn't even know how to use timeouts, right?

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Nagy is saying all the right things. You don't leave it open to questions from reporters and speculation from fans. You say Dalton is the QB and Fields can't win, so you don't have people asking all the time about whos the QB. You also don't get into a situation like last year where there is a true competition and the better QB gets the job. As weird as it sounds, Fields being better than Dalton is NOT the goal. Fields doesn't need to be better than Dalton. He needs to be good enough to be a productive NFL starting QB. Last year Trubisky was better than Foles, but obviously, neither was good enough. You can deal with bad Dalton playing some games. If Fields is bad, you don't want him out there.

As I've said, Fields getting on the field is about Fields and only Fields. I don't care how well or poorly Dalton is playing. I don't care about the OL and WRs. I don't care about the run game. If those things are bad and you don't think Fields can improve them by his presence, then don't put him in there.

That being said, I fully expect Fields to be ready Week 1. IDK if Nagy would be willing to pull the trigger then, but everything Fields has said and shown proves to me that he will be ready.

mecha

Liked Posts:
ok so Dalton was promised to start. it's up to him to deliver. if he does not, then Fields will get his chance.

Nagy is trying to swerve other teams, but I think it's Dalton's job until he proves it shouldn't be. Fields will be in good hands with Dalton and Foles around him. if Foles has to see playing time at some point though, we need to just all move onto another team, because this one can't be saved.

BriGuy

Liked Posts:
I don’t think he ever actually meant that when it was said. Media just took it and ran with it…
Yes. In the interview. They asked Nagy if there was a chance Fields starts week one. Nagy hesitated then said no. Then said something like we told Andy he is #1 going into training camp. But that’s a long ways away. I took that as Dalton is 1 now and it’s his job to lose until Justin is ready. If Justin is ready week 1 he will start.
A lot of you guys think if Fields is playing better than Dalton he should be the starter right away. I disagree. Fields could be better than Dalton day one of training camp but maybe he’s not quite ready to be the starter. I want to see Fields the starter when They all feel he’s ready.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yes. In the interview. They asked Nagy if there was a chance Fields starts week one. Nagy hesitated then said no. Then said something like we told Andy he is #1 going into training camp. But that’s a long ways away. I took that as Dalton is 1 now and it’s his job to lose until Justin is ready. If Justin is ready week 1 he will start.
A lot of you guys think if Fields is playing better than Dalton he should be the starter right away. I disagree. Fields could be better than Dalton day one of training camp but maybe he’s not quite ready to be the starter. I want to see Fields the starter when They all feel he’s ready.

Nagy said it 100 time. Everybody gon know when Fields is ready. FO, coaches, players. They will all know.

When that time comes, ain't nothin keeping him off the field

EDPeezy

Liked Posts:
I get the feeling if Dalton plays competent throughout the preseason he‘s at least getting up to that week 2 Bengals start. You know he wants that game and if he’s bad you can turn to Fields with a large chunk of the season still left,

Brownie

Liked Posts:
Ppl want to see the shiny, new toy...but the ghost of the Trubisky situation still haunts Bears brass.

The directive from above Nagy is sit Fields most, if not all of 2021.

Wouldn't shock me. Those 2 (Nagy and Pace) are super shook from the Trubisky era, a large percentage of which was their fault and they know it.

In typical fashion I can see them (esp Nagy) overcompensating in the "other direction", trying to avoid past mistakes. Kind of like Nagy's ridiculous behavior the offseason after the double doink with that crazy kicker competition.

Too bad he won't overcompensate in another direction with the :poop: play calling..

EDPeezy

Liked Posts:
I don’t see how the people upstairs would force Nagy to not play a guy. Especially when his job is on the line. There’s no way they’re promising Nagy job security if he just plays Dalton no matter what. And there’s no chance Dalton is taking this team anywhere. And there’s no way Nagy isn’t gone if they don’t win. It’s just not happening.