What is the fascination on this board with Mahomes?

fx1718

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'd pile on here but even though I had Mahomes above Watson, I thought Mitch the safest pick. :obama:
Who knew he needed a brane transplant?

Also a note. That's not the same bearlythere as on the defunct Bears board.
This is the issue tho. All of us fans love to bash Pace and his pick but in reality most of the “experts” had Mitch going as the first QB. I agree not interviewing Watson was a mistake but frankly I don't think it was going to change Paces mind. Have to just chalk it up as one miss.

The Mack trade giving up 2 firsts is maybe worse but still hindsight. We could have sure used those picks for LT and another QB try once everyone knew Mitch wasn't the guy.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
This is the issue tho. All of us fans love to bash Pace and his pick but in reality most of the “experts” had Mitch going as the first QB. I agree not interviewing Watson was a mistake but frankly I don't think it was going to change Paces mind. Have to just chalk it up as one miss.

The Mack trade giving up 2 firsts is maybe worse but still hindsight. We could have sure used those picks for LT and another QB try once everyone knew Mitch wasn't the guy.
Doesn't look great now because Mack has not been as effective as hoped but it was actually a 1st and a swap of 1st for a 2nd.

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
What is the fascination on this board with the best football player in the world?

SD Bears Fan

Liked Posts:
I'd pile on here but even though I had Mahomes above Watson, I thought Mitch the safest pick. :obama:
Who knew he needed a brane transplant?

Also a note. That's not the same bearlythere as on the defunct Bears board.

If you paid attention to his short college career, after not being able to beat out Marquise Williams, you would know that he never should have been picked ahead of Watson and Mahomes. That comment isn't directed at you. Just my feelings in general.

SD Bears Fan

Liked Posts:

Maybe I just don't care enough to remember, but I don't remembering any of my sources for sports information saying Trubisky should go ahead of Watson. Mahomes maybe, but not Watson.

fx1718

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Maybe I just don't care enough to remember, but I don't remembering any of my sources for sports information saying Trubisky should go ahead of Watson. Mahomes maybe, but not Watson.

Literally just the first 3 articles from a Google search on 2017 QB draft rankings. Mitch #1 in two of them. Ahead of Watson and Mahomes in all of them.

If anyone had any clue how good Mahomes was going to be the Browns would have taken him #1 and the 9ers wouldn't have traded but taken him #2.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
It's true that most mock drafts had Trubisky as the first QB off of the board (I compiled a post a while back with CBS Sports, ESPN, etc., but I can't find it right now), but that doesn't really matter. Your job as the general manager is to get it right, no matter what the Todd McShays and Mel Kipers of the world say. Pace picked the one guy who's not on a Hall of Fame trajectory---He'll rightfully be known forever for that.

fx1718

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
It's true that most mock drafts had Trubisky as the first QB off of the board (I compiled a post a while back with CBS Sports, ESPN, etc., but I can't find it right now), but that doesn't really matter. Your job as the general manager is to get it right, no matter what the Todd McShays and Mel Kipers of the world say. Pace picked the one guy who's not on a Hall of Fame trajectory---He'll rightfully be known forever for that.
Will Shanahan be known for it forever after passing on them for Solomon Thomas and going with Jimmy G? For some reasons hes still regarded as a genius.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
Will Shanahan be known for it forever after passing on them for Solomon Thomas and going with Jimmy G? For some reasons hes still regarded as a genius.

No. Whether fair or not, anyone who didn't pick a QB is immune to long-term criticism on the issue. Part of that is the trade-up. Pace had so much conviction that Trubisky was the guy, he traded up to #2 to draft him while giving up several assets. And who's the guy he traded up for? The one guy who's not going to the Hall.

fx1718

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
No. Whether fair or not, anyone who didn't pick a QB is immune to long-term criticism on the issue. Part of that is the trade-up. Pace had so much conviction that Trubisky was the guy, he traded up to #2 to draft him while giving up several assets. And who's the guy he traded up for? The one guy who's not going to the Hall.
None of the picks Shanahan got are good. Seems like a double standard especially considering he also traded for Jimmy G.

Would you trust Shanahan to try another QB acquisition after trading for Jimmy G, paying him a huge contract, and skipping Mahomes and Watson in the draft?

Toast88

Liked Posts:
None of the picks Shanahan got are good. Seems like a double standard especially considering he also traded for Jimmy G.

Would you trust Shanahan to try another QB acquisition after trading for Jimmy G, paying him a huge contract, and skipping Mahomes and Watson in the draft?

His seat will get hot at some point. Three of his four years in San Fran have been losing seasons, but that Super Bowl season buys him some goodwill. That's just the way it is. That's what buys him additional time, not his stellar QB evaluation. If the Bears made the Super Bowl with Trubisky last year, Pace would probably have more goodwill with Chicago fans and media.

Also, I'm not sure people view Garoppolo as a bust the way they do for Trubisky, although I admit I don't speak for everyone on that issue.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
Is your overall point that Pace is better than we think, or that other GMs/coaches are worse than we think? I can definitely get behind the latter.

fx1718

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Is your overall point that Pace is better than we think, or that other GMs/coaches are worse than we think? I can definitely get behind the latter.
A little of both I guess. Mostly that its easy to be over critical because of our emotional tie to the Bears. I wonder how 49ers fans feel about the moves in question.

I think Pace has improved in drafting since 2017 and hopefully if he does pick another QB it will have a better result.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
A little of both I guess. Mostly that its easy to be over critical because of our emotional tie to the Bears. I wonder how 49ers fans feel about the moves in question.

I think Pace has improved in drafting since 2017 and hopefully if he does pick another QB it will have a better result.

I definitely think there's room for nuance in the discussion. No one can dispute that Pace took what was historically the worst defense in Bears history and turned it into one of the best units in the NFL. He deserves credit for that.

For whatever reason, though, he's never been able to nail the offense. He's drafted a QB (Trubisky), signed a QB (Glennon), and traded for a QB (Foles). Also, he reportedly really liked Mariota.

Pace has acquired a QB in every way that you can (draft, sign, trade), and it hasn't worked out. Is he just unlucky, or is he just not good at evaluating the position? I lean toward the latter.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
If you paid attention to his short college career, after not being able to beat out Marquise Williams, you would know that he never should have been picked ahead of Watson and Mahomes. That comment isn't directed at you. Just my feelings in general.
Wow, you should be a scout, LOL.

fx1718

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I definitely think there's room for nuance in the discussion. No one can dispute that Pace took what was historically the worst defense in Bears history and turned it into one of the best units in the NFL. He deserves credit for that.

For whatever reason, though, he's never been able to nail the offense. He's drafted a QB (Trubisky), signed a QB (Glennon), and traded for a QB (Foles). Also, he reportedly really liked Mariota.

Pace has acquired a QB in every way that you can (draft, sign, trade), and it hasn't worked out. Is he just unlucky, or is he just not good at evaluating the position? I lean toward the latter.
I may be in the minority here but I have a lot of hope for both Kmet and Mooney going forward. Also Monty seems solid. Maybe Nagys influence?

SD Bears Fan

Liked Posts:
Literally just the first 3 articles from a Google search on 2017 QB draft rankings. Mitch #1 in two of them. Ahead of Watson and Mahomes in all of them.

If anyone had any clue how good Mahomes was going to be the Browns would have taken him #1 and the 9ers wouldn't have traded but taken him #2.

So weird because I literally don't remember anybody saying he should be the #1 QB. Maybe I was so sure that Watson was the answer and the guy for the Bears that I just tuned out all the noise.

Either way, it's so weird that anybody thought Mitch should be #1 when he couldn't beat out Marquise Williams. Shows how some of these clowns overthink it and fall in love with workouts against air.

fx1718

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
So weird because I literally don't remember anybody saying he should be the #1 QB. Maybe I was so sure that Watson was the answer and the guy for the Bears that I just tuned out all the noise.

Either way, it's so weird that anybody thought Mitch should be #1 when he couldn't beat out Marquise Williams. Shows how some of these clowns overthink it and fall in love with workouts against air.
Yeah Im not sure. I dont watch Minor League Football but I picked Mahomes from highlights.

SD Bears Fan

Liked Posts:
Wow, you should be a scout, LOL.

I'm not saying that. Far from qualified to be a scout, but I do watch a lot of ACC football and the clown couldn't beat out Marquise Williams. Don't you think that the UNC coaches probably knew something? Outside of Clemson, it's not like they play anybody tough. Watson was a proven winner and I would have taken my chances with him over a clown that was 8-5 at UNC, couldn't beat out Williams, and had a nice workout against air.

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
Tell us more of your opinions.

It was an egregiously bad take that was formed without doing much of any homework on him. Mahomes was mostly viewed as a late 1st to mid 2nd rd pick for most of the lead up to the draft. We had the #3 overall pick and more of my focus was on Watson.

I will say though I thought Mahomes was erratic with the ball and a bit if a reckless gunslinger. But I admittingly didn't watch much tape on him. I was wrong and will eat crow for it.

In the end, we would have been alright if we just made the easy selection and drafted Watson.