What is the fascination on this board with Mahomes?

Midwaymonster75

Liked Posts:
Seriously.

Every thread I see is "draft a blue-chip defensive player in the 1st and Mahomes in the second - maybe even trade up for him."

Maybe I'm missing something, so explain it to me.

I see a player with gaudy stats - see: every Texas Tech QB for the last two decades - grossly inflated by a gimmicky super-spread offense with very little experience as a pocket passer and production that was largely accumulated against a league filled with suspect (at best) defenses.

What is even more bizarre, a lot of his supporters seem to be Watson detractors. Except... they're sort of the same player.

"Doesn't play in an NFL offense." Neither does Mahomes.

"Makes a lot of questionable, risky throws." So does Mahomes.

"Runs too much; needs to develop more as a pocket passer." So does Mahomes.

The only difference is that Watson has absolutely shredded the best defense in football - stacked with NFL-level talent, mind you - two years running.

So what is it about Mahomes besides the TD numbers that you folks actually like?

Great points. Speaking for only myself what i like about Mahomes more than Watson is he has a better arm,more accurate,better deep ball,much more accurate out of the pocket,better read progression and is a little bigger than Watson 6`3 230 to 6`2 217. I watched the game against Bama and i ask how many throws down field did his recievers have to make spectacular catches on? How many passes did he dump off that got turned into big plays by his recievers? How many times did he over throw wide open guys? I like Watson and think hes a solid player and if hes there in the 2nd id take him over Mahomes because he has a better release,better footwork and has played against better competition. I have no problem with the Bears taking him if hes there in the 2nd but there is no way hes the #3 pick in the draft. Heck i see a lot of people going crazy over getting Trubisky but no one seems to mention that the guy took a long time to get the starting job and hes 23 years old already!

iffybiz

Liked Posts:
Mahomes is basically Plan B if they don't take a QB at 3. Watson, Kizer and Trubisky are further developed and would get into the starting lineup earlier.
It seems like people are assuming that Watson will be there at 3. If he's not, then what, take Kizor? Mahomes is a viable alternative in round two.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Meh. According to a fantasy football draft value spreadsheet I found on the internet Watson grades out as an end of the draft flyer for next season.... or if you play auction a throwaway $1 purchase... which roughly translates to a 3rd round grade in real life NFL draft value.

Let's all remember, the only thing that really matters here is that the media talking heads tell us the Bears "won the draft" on April 28th.

And the only way to do that is to focus on getting value over actual talent. I mean who really gives a shit about building a Superbowl contender anyways. Nobody remembers who won SB's but a draft bust haunts us foooooorrreeeeeeveeeer.

It might actually be better to trade down and acquire as many 4,5, and 6th rounders as possible to really maximize our return in the big value rounds.

What? Exciting, dynamic playmakers at QB that are a nightmare to defend? This is the Bears' board. We'll take a defender please and grab a value QB later, or trade for New England's latest backup.

Bigfoot

CCS Enforcer
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
What? Exciting, dynamic playmakers at QB that are a nightmare to defend? This is the Bears' board. We'll take a defender please and grab a value QB later, or trade for New England's latest backup.

Come on mick everybody knows you win with defense and a game manager at QB. Why would Bear fans want an exciting dynamic QB.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
In 1862, McClellan led the army down Chesapeake Bay to the James Peninsula, southeast of the Confederate capital at Richmond, Virginia. During this campaign, he exhibited the timidity and sluggishness that later doomed him. During the Seven Days Battles, McClellan was poised near Richmond but retreated when faced with a series of attacks by Lee. McClellan always believed that he was vastly outnumbered, though he actually had the numerical advantage. He spent the rest of the summer camped on the peninsula while Lincoln began moving much of his command to General John Pope’s Army of Virginia.

just another reason we shouldn't have drafted Shea.

Matt Suhey

Liked Posts:
Quote Originally Posted by run and shoot View Post
read this
Ideal QB In 2017 Draft Class
https://t.co/xGlTTGMnjk

Here:

What is the fascination on this board with Mahomes?

This is a very good article by Erik Lambert and it backs up the main reason I like Mahomes. Which is the IT factor. The IT factor the intangibles of QB'S are what more often than not gets teams Super Bowl wins. This kid has charisma big play chops and that Texas sized larger than life aura about him. From what I can tell Mahomes has the IT factor more than any other QB in this draft. Lambert's analysis confirms that with stats. This is why Wentz and Prescott mainly impressed teams and why they have done so well as rookies. However I also think its why Mahomes might sneak up into the latter part of the first round instead of high second round. So the Bears probably should just go ahead and draft Trubisky or Kizer and maybe even Watson with their first pick. I am most concerned about Watson but would be willing to roll the dice more on the other two guys. Trubisky fits my preferred profile of accurate with intangibles and Kizer accuracy problems seem more fixable than Watson's at least from my limited vfiewpoint. However I tend to believe Pace will make a good choice on QB maybe even get Jimmy G.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
This is a very good article by Erik Lambert and it backs up the main reason I like Mahomes. Which is the IT factor. The IT factor the intangibles of QB'S are what more often than not gets teams Super Bowl wins. This kid has charisma big play chops and that Texas sized larger than life aura about him. From what I can tell Mahomes has the IT factor more than any other QB in this draft. Lambert's analysis confirms that with stats. This is why Wentz and Prescott mainly impressed teams and why they have done so well as rookies. However I also think its why Mahomes might sneak up into the latter part of the first round instead of high second round. So the Bears probably should just go ahead and draft Trubisky or Kizer and maybe even Watson with their first pick. I am most concerned about Watson but would be willing to roll the dice more on the other two guys. Trubisky fits my preferred profile of accurate with intangibles and Kizer accuracy problems seem more fixable than Watson's at least from my limited vfiewpoint. However I tend to believe Pace will make a good choice on QB maybe even get Jimmy G.

5fff21923606ec4cb128184ecb16b94c.png

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
This is a very good article by Erik Lambert and it backs up the main reason I like Mahomes. Which is the IT factor. The IT factor the intangibles of QB'S are what more often than not gets teams Super Bowl wins. This kid has charisma big play chops and that Texas sized larger than life aura about him. From what I can tell Mahomes has the IT factor more than any other QB in this draft. Lambert's analysis confirms that with stats. This is why Wentz and Prescott mainly impressed teams and why they have done so well as rookies.

However I also think its why Mahomes might sneak up into the latter part of the first round instead of high second round.

So the Bears probably should just go ahead and draft Trubisky or Kizer and maybe even Watson with their first pick. I am most concerned about Watson but would be willing to roll the dice more on the other two guys. Trubisky fits my preferred profile of accurate with intangibles and Kizer accuracy problems seem more fixable than Watson's at least from my limited vfiewpoint.

However I tend to believe Pace will make a good choice on QB maybe even get Jimmy G.

Good points. Problem with Jimmy G. ( 1 1/2 games-injury) & Trubisky ( 13 games) is that they just don't have the experience. IMO....There are better options out there.

Monsieur Tirets

Liked Posts:
heres a decent vid on mahomes. i dont know who the guy doing the break down is or what his credentials are but people seem to value his opinion and hes pretty funny at times. hes done a vid on all the prospects.

[video=youtube_share;STF6piOtIP0]https://youtu.be/STF6piOtIP0[/video]

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
They read too many tabloids and other's drat evaluations...Mahomes has a 4th/5th round draft grade imo...

fx1718

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Seriously.

Every thread I see is "draft a blue-chip defensive player in the 1st and Mahomes in the second - maybe even trade up for him."

Maybe I'm missing something, so explain it to me.

I see a player with gaudy stats - see: every Texas Tech QB for the last two decades - grossly inflated by a gimmicky super-spread offense with very little experience as a pocket passer and production that was largely accumulated against a league filled with suspect (at best) defenses.

What is even more bizarre, a lot of his supporters seem to be Watson detractors. Except... they're sort of the same player.

"Doesn't play in an NFL offense." Neither does Mahomes.

"Makes a lot of questionable, risky throws." So does Mahomes.

"Runs too much; needs to develop more as a pocket passer." So does Mahomes.

The only difference is that Watson has absolutely shredded the best defense in football - stacked with NFL-level talent, mind you - two years running.

So what is it about Mahomes besides the TD numbers that you folks actually like?
Good call!

This necro thing is fun...

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Let's be honest...what's more likely?

A) A 1st Rd QB busting or NOT being a star?
B) A 1st Rd QB actually becoming a star?

CCS suffers from hindsight syndrome and is justifiably butthurt from not hitting on a QB for decades.

We all knew Mahommes was high risk high reward. I still think he wouldn't be half the QB if Bears picked him up & he had Fox/Nagy and this scheme/OL/shit run blocking. Mitch will be better elsewhere too. Sad but likely true. Meh

fx1718

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

CCS suffers from hindsight syndrome and is justifiably butthurt from not hitting on a QB for decades.

We all knew Mahommes was high risk high reward. I still think he wouldn't be half the QB if Bears picked him up & he had Fox/Nagy and this scheme/OL/shit run blocking. Mitch will be better elsewhere too. Sad but likely true. Meh
Is Nagys scheme pretty much Reid's scheme? That's kinda confusing .

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:
Is Nagys scheme pretty much Reid's scheme? That's kinda confusing .
He has similarities, but I see 2 different schemes. I think a lot of it has to do with play calling and personal.

msadows

Liked Posts:
You want to know the honest reason people like him?

You don't have to draft him at 3.

Everyone is terrified of drafting a QB at 3. If Mahomes climbs the QB rankings and becomes a top 10 pick everyone will hate him again.

This is my personal favorite quote in this thread.

Wow, just wow.

These are the same people, btw, who are clowning on the bears for passing on mahomes nowadays. Not WC specifically, but this thread just exemplifies chicago's thoughts on mahomes. The majority did NOT want him because they just watched cutler for nearly a decade.

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I didn't want Watson because of Cutler. Watson threw a lot of INTs in college. The last thing I wanted was another INT-machine for a QB. I mean, clearly I was wrong(to a degree). But at least I can admit it!

At the same time, it wasn't because I didn't like Watson. It's because I don't trust the Bears enough to develop a QB to the point where he'd throw less picks in the NFL. And really, who is to say that Mahomes doesn't come here and become Cutler? He needed time. He got time. He also got Andy Reid, and the best offense in the NFL. Most people don't look at every factor. They just look at the QB, just like they always follow the ball. I'm sure there are people that would tell you that if the Jets drafted Mahomes, they'd have been Super Bowl champs last year.

I think the Bears best chance at drafting a franchise QB, is taking the most NFL-ready QB in the draft. Probably can't get that at 20! It also seems like the most NFL-ready QBs will be off the board by the time the Falcons pick(or after the Falcons pick).

Last edited:

CHIBEAR

Liked Posts:

Again this notion that qbs have no individual talent and because Mitch looks like garbage somehow any other qb that comes will look like garbage is ridiculous .

Even with the lack of receiver talent there were guys open and we had a chance to win more than 5 games with better qb play.
That you think Mitch will be better somewhere else says it all.

msadows

Liked Posts:
I didn't want Watson because of Cutler. Watson threw a lot of INTs in college. The last thing I wanted was another INT-machine for a QB. I mean, clearly I was wrong(to a degree). But at least I can admit it!

At the same time, it wasn't because I didn't like Watson. It's because I don't trust the Bears enough to develop a QB to the point where he'd throw less picks in the NFL. And really, who is to say that Mahomes doesn't come here and become Cutler? He needed time. He got time. He also got Andy Reid, and the best offense in the NFL. Most people don't look at every factor. They just look at the QB, just like they always follow the ball. I'm sure there are people that would tell you that if the Jets drafted Mahomes, they'd have been Super Bowl champs last year.

I think the Bears best chance at drafting a franchise QB, is taking the most NFL-ready QB in the draft. Probably can't get that at 20! It also seems like the most NFL-ready QBs will be off the board by the time the Falcons pick.

Not sure who mentioned it, but one of the ESPN personalities, I think greeny, said a lot of player development in sports has to do the situation and organization you are drafted into.

It's the classic nature vs. nurture debate, but towards football.

I do also think the bears will ruin every qb they touch until they prove otherwise to me. I didn't want watson in the top 10, then again, I didn't want any QB in the top 10, and watson was my favorite.

As far as QB's go, no one truly knows shit. It's looking like the QB everyone thought was the least accurate in the 2018 draft is ending up becoming the most accurate, a trait a qb rarely fixes in the pros.

The best QB ever is a 6th rounder. 23 Teams passed on arguably the most talented quarterback in the draft because they didn't like his delivery.

It's the hardest position in sports to get right. The majority of teams fail at it eventually, the difference is they keep trying. The bears never keep trying. Drafting 3 Quarterbacks in the first 3 rounds in the last 30 years is NOT a recipe to win at the most important spot at football. One each decade is NOT a recipe to figure it out.