What is the fascination on this board with Mahomes?

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The target with QBs is moving always to suit an argument.

Personally I want a guy with Watson's leadership, poise, and ability to stay in control.

I just sat through 25% of my life watching a guy with a huge arm and great feet and absolutely no poise or control of a game get us no where.

Time to try something different.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The target with QBs is moving always to suit an argument.

Personally I want a guy with Watson's leadership, poise, and ability to stay in control.

I just sat through 25% of my life watching a guy with a huge arm and great feet and absolutely no poise or control of a game get us no where.

Time to try something different.
Great feet?

Eh....Cutler's footwork was usually pretty poor.

PaytonHighstep

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
If they don't draft a QB at 3 and believe they can get "their guy" in round 2. The only reason people project trading back into rd 1 to get that player, is the extra year on the rookie deal for a QB.

I'm not sold on QB at 3, but I would be ok if they took a QB at 3. I'm indifferent.

Mahomes specifically, I need to research him and find out more about him.

wazzupi

Liked Posts:
Can people stop calling Bama an NFL caliber defense? None of those guys have played a down in the pros, and everybody continues to hype them up for the sake of legitimizing Watson it seems.

It reminds me very much of the USC vs Texas national championship, a lot of talk about how the game was loaded with NFL talent. Take a look at both rosters and tell me how "NFL caliber" they really were. I'll save you the time, they weren't.

Manziel lit up Bama once upon a time. Chad Kelly lit up Bama too this past season. What Watson did on Monday night was great but it's not even close to what he's going to face in the NFL.

As for Mahomes, I'm not a fan but what people seem to love about him is his arm talent. He throws a great deep ball, has a rocket for an arm, can let it rip through the tightest of windows.

The problem is that he lacks major fundamentals while doing this, relies way too much on his arm strength. He's very much like Cutler in this sense. Mahomes won't get away with this in the pros. IMO, he's a big time project who needs at least 2 years to refine all his mechanics. He needs to go to a team like GB, KC, etc. where they can buy him time. If you throw him in there too early, he'll bust.

Why can Aaron Rodgers get away with it ?

ob1force

Liked Posts:
Not really. Both defenses were utter shit.

Kizer was just as productive as he was last year when the team went to the Fiesta Bowl and nearly made the playoffs.

Exactly.

Also, Kizer's accuracy issues from this year are a little overblown, IMO. If you take out that NC State game, the one played in ridiculous hurricane conditions, Kizer's season accuracy% is about 61%, about where you'd expect he'd be. Notre Dame also plays a more vertical style offense thus not as many high% throws. Losing Will Fuller also didn't help.

Of course, Kizer still needs tuning up but still possesses the traits you love in a potential NFL starting QB.

iffybiz

Liked Posts:
I guess the appeal of Mahomes is that if he's this good and accurate now with bad footwork, how good will be become with the right coaching?
He also has pro size (which Watson doesn't have) and a very strong and accurate arm.
I'd probably go with Trubisky at 3 if he's there or trade down (if possible) and take Kizor.
If I can't get either, Mahomes would be a very nice consolation prize in round two.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

westcoast bear fanatic

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Exactly.

Also, Kizer's accuracy issues from this year are a little overblown, IMO. If you take out that NC State game, the one played in ridiculous hurricane conditions, Kizer's season accuracy% is about 61%, about where you'd expect he'd be. Notre Dame also plays a more vertical style offense thus not as many high% throws. Losing Will Fuller also didn't help.

Of course, Kizer still needs tuning up but still possesses the traits you love in a potential NFL starting QB.

Exactly, ND runs very little screens and high pct, short passes. That must be weighted vs other guys who primarily throw these high comp pct throws.

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
Exactly.

I think Kizer is the only QB with elite NFL potential in this class. But he has a high bust potential. He never really put it all together in college, but all the ingredients for a true franchise QB are there.

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
I guess the appeal of Mahomes is that if he's this good and accurate now with bad footwork, how good will be become with the right coaching?
He also has pro size (which Watson doesn't have) and a very strong and accurate arm.
I'd probably go with Trubisky at 3 if he's there or trade down (if possible) and take Kizor.
If I can't get either, Mahomes would be a very nice consolation prize in round two.

Mahomes reminds me of Kyle Boller, but his arm isn't as strong.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Seriously.

Every thread I see is "draft a blue-chip defensive player in the 1st and Mahomes in the second - maybe even trade up for him."

Maybe I'm missing something, so explain it to me.

I see a player with gaudy stats - see: every Texas Tech QB for the last two decades - grossly inflated by a gimmicky super-spread offense with very little experience as a pocket passer and production that was largely accumulated against a league filled with suspect (at best) defenses.

What is even more bizarre, a lot of his supporters seem to be Watson detractors. Except... they're sort of the same player.

"Doesn't play in an NFL offense." Neither does Mahomes.

"Makes a lot of questionable, risky throws." So does Mahomes.

"Runs too much; needs to develop more as a pocket passer." So does Mahomes.

The only difference is that Watson has absolutely shredded the best defense in football - stacked with NFL-level talent, mind you - two years running.

So what is it about Mahomes besides the TD numbers that you folks actually like?

People like that he won't cost the #3 pick. Seriously. Thats the only reason.

RisWell01

Liked Posts:
If your just looking at stats sure but if you actually watched him play hell no.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
You want to know the honest reason people like him?

You don't have to draft him at 3.

Everyone is terrified of drafting a QB at 3. If Mahomes climbs the QB rankings and becomes a top 10 pick everyone will hate him again.

The funny thing is, as of right now, you don't have to take Watson #3 either. Maybe that changes by the time the draft comes around, but if things hold as they are, the Bears can have Watson with their 2nd pick, though they'll likely have to trade up to get him.

Smokey Robinson

Liked Posts:
The funny thing is, as of right now, you don't have to take Watson #3 either. Maybe that changes by the time the draft comes around, but if things hold as they are, the Bears can have Watson with their 2nd pick, though they'll likely have to trade up to get him.

According to Walterfootball or Mel Kiper? We have no idea what NFL teams think right now or where Watson will go.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
Exactly. I've been wondering the same thing. This is his "highlight" video. I guess I can see the arm talent, but other than that, his footwork and mechanics are terrible. [video=youtube;CdlpfRRLGHY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdlpfRRLGHY[/video]
Not sure if it's bad mechanics or just his unconventional way. To me, he looks like a much more mobile Matt Stafford and that isn't such a bad thing.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Seriously.

Every thread I see is "draft a blue-chip defensive player in the 1st and Mahomes in the second - maybe even trade up for him."

Maybe I'm missing something, so explain it to me.

I see a player with gaudy stats - see: every Texas Tech QB for the last two decades - grossly inflated by a gimmicky super-spread offense with very little experience as a pocket passer and production that was largely accumulated against a league filled with suspect (at best) defenses.

What is even more bizarre, a lot of his supporters seem to be Watson detractors. Except... they're sort of the same player.

"Doesn't play in an NFL offense." Neither does Mahomes.

"Makes a lot of questionable, risky throws." So does Mahomes.

"Runs too much; needs to develop more as a pocket passer." So does Mahomes.

The only difference is that Watson has absolutely shredded the best defense in football - stacked with NFL-level talent, mind you - two years running.

So what is it about Mahomes besides the TD numbers that you folks actually like?

Take a look at this article. Take a look at where Patrick Mahomes fits in what he has to work with

Ideal QB In 2017 Draft Class
https://t.co/xGlTTGMnjk

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
In 1862, McClellan led the army down Chesapeake Bay to the James Peninsula, southeast of the Confederate capital at Richmond, Virginia. During this campaign, he exhibited the timidity and sluggishness that later doomed him. During the Seven Days Battles, McClellan was poised near Richmond but retreated when faced with a series of attacks by Lee. McClellan always believed that he was vastly outnumbered, though he actually had the numerical advantage. He spent the rest of the summer camped on the peninsula while Lincoln began moving much of his command to General John Pope’s Army of Virginia.

So, Cutler is Mcclellan, Hoyer is old "MuttonChops" and Barkley is Hooker!!! Isn't it ironic how The American Civil War 1860's history resembles the Bears QB history of 2016.

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think basing your NFL draft strategy on Civil War history has been proven to be successful.[/QUOTE]

Finally we get a top 3 pick, And no QB named Grant is available!! History hates the Bears!!

Monsieur Tirets

Liked Posts:
watson is an inaccurate 1 read college qb. hes the one qb prospect i know i for sure that i dont want the bears to have anything to do with. he isnt asked to look at more than one half of the field and its either throw here or run. its bad enough that most the other guys run some kind of college spread o, but at least the others are actually asked to be a qb on a regular basis.

hell if youre willing to go watson early, whether thats somewhere in the first or in the second, id rather just take the chance with kizer at 3. but i still like mahomes and itll be interesting to see where hes projected to go as the draft gets closer.

iffybiz

Liked Posts:
Mahomes reminds me of Kyle Boller, but his arm isn't as strong.

I remember Boller, strong arm but not as strong as Mahomes. There's a video of him throwing a football 65 yards.........from his knees.