What is the minimum you would accept for Howard?

What is the minimum pick you would accept for Howard?

• 2nd

Votes: 8 8.2%
  • 3rd

Votes: 32 33.0%
  • 4th

Votes: 34 35.1%
  • 5th

Votes: 19 19.6%
  • 6th

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • 7th

Votes: 3 3.1%

• Total voters

circusboy666

Liked Posts:
And if he averages 3.7YPC next season again while hurting the pass game he really shouldn't be on the team.

That's what a lot of people in here don't really understand(Not saying you are one). Howard is a good back, but he is a bad fit. Ideally we should have found a replacement to groom in the draft last year since we all heard the rumors of a howard trade even a year back, and knew he wouldn't be a fit. Unfortunately, Nagy had to try to make him fit into the offense. Selling low is better than never being able to sell, and I'm pretty confident we could get a 5th if not a 4th for Howard.

If we keep just pushing howard out there hoping for the best we are more often than not going to get the worst. I don't know the solution to our RB issues, but Howard isn't the answer.

Yes so he’s lost most trade value this season anyway bc he doesn’t fit. He’s still cheap and he does serve the purpose of wearing down the defense, goal line/short distance touches and keeping the clock going. I was all for trading him before last season bc this is the way I thought it was going to go. Throw him in a different offense giving him 20-25 carries and he’s solid. But at this point you keep him bc Cohen can’t handle full load.

Monster

Liked Posts:
Not a question of bad RBs. Some guys are better hitting the hole as designed. Others are better cutting back. That was how Shanny was able to churn out 1,000 yard runners as he would find the one cut guys.

His run scheme made a lot of backs look good.

oober

Staff member
Liked Posts:
I said 3rd rounder, but I think lets see what the off season brings. Maybe Howard decides to drop some weight, get a little faster, keep working on his receiving. It would be a contract yr for him right? It's amazing what a lot of players look like when the contract yr comes up. Howard will have to adapt or go the way of so many who haven't.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I said 3rd rounder, but I think lets see what the off season brings. Maybe Howard decides to drop some weight, get a little faster, keep working on his receiving. It would be a contract yr for him right? It's amazing what a lot of players look like when the contract yr comes up. Howard will have to adapt or go the way of so many who haven't.

You have speed or you don't. He won't be able to drop weight that will make him faster. He's LaGarette Blount minus about 8yrs. That's all he'll ever be.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
You have speed or you don't. He won't be able to drop weight that will make him faster. He's LaGarette Blount minus about 8yrs. That's all he'll ever be.

You are probably correct.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Eagles basically just did that....

And Howard is a proven commodity, and in the right scheme is a top 10 back.

Drafting someone guarantees you none of that. There will be a team that offers much more than a 6th or 7th rounder. Look at Amari Cooper, dude just got a 1st rounder at the end of his rookie deal. Golden Tate got a 3rd in a trade on the last year of his deal. Obviously RB isn't as valued as WR, but my guess is he can get a late 4th.

Homework assignment:

List every team’s starting RB, and in some cases, top two.

List those ahead of Howard and those behind.

See how many are ahead of this Top 10 back.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
4th round pick should be doable. If Nagy can't find a way to use him more effectively, you need to churn the asset into a draft pick.

Nagy is not the issue. Slow RBs with no quickness and bad hands don’t fit.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Homework assignment:

List every team’s starting RB, and in some cases, top two.

List those ahead of Howard and those behind.

See how many are ahead of this Top 10 back.

Lol, I'd take these backs over Howard in a heartbeat:

Gurley
Elliot
Bell
Barkley
Jones
Cook
K Johnson
Carson or Penny in Seattle
Johnson
Brieda
Kamara
McCaffrey
Michel
Mack
Henry
Conner
Chubb & Johnson
Mixon
Gus Edwards
Gordon
Lindsay

I'm sure I missed a few as well

Bear Pride

Bears Gonna Shock the World!
Liked Posts:
For me it is a 5th.

I know his value has decreased with a bad year and only 1 more cheap year on his deal, but the 5th round would be my minimum. The 5th rounf has been good for Pace and below that I would just keep him and run him for a year.

For me, it'll have to be higher then a 5th because his cap hit is only $786K. Why trade him for nothing? He's a great RB to have in the rotation at $786K. If we get a 3rd, that's a different story, but his talent at $786K won't be found in the 5th, unless of course, it's him.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
For me, it'll have to be higher then a 5th because his cap hit is only $786K. Why trade him for nothing? He's a great RB to have in the rotation at $786K. If we get a 3rd, that's a different story, but his talent at $786K won't be found in the 5th, unless of course, it's him.
I doubt Nagy gets his primary RB in the 5th round... won't have anything to do with what draft pick we can get for Howard.

If we get FA RB, then we might get another RB in the 5th.

And trading Howard for a 5th isn't nothing... you're conceivably getting an Amos or Nichols for four 5th-Rd-rookie-contract years.

Bear Pride

Bears Gonna Shock the World!
Liked Posts:
I doubt Nagy gets his primary RB in the 5th round... won't have anything to do with what draft pick we can get for Howard.

If we get FA RB, then we might get another RB in the 5th.

And trading Howard for a 5th isn't nothing... you're conceivably getting an Amos or Nichols for four 5th-Rd-rookie-contract years.

That was pretty much my point. Remember that Howard was a 5th round pick himself, which is why I said what I said. I agree, we just won't get a player with a 5th that will be better then Howard has been with his 5th, especially if you try to replace him with another RB.

I just think we'd be better off with keeping Howard and signing a FA RB. Having said that, Pace might want to get more picks any way he can for next years draft since he doesn't have a 1st or 2nd next year. And, there are some small school RB's I like coming out in the draft we could nab as well... I like Devin Singletary from Florida Atlantic, myself ... the kid's exciting.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Lol, I'd take these backs over Howard in a heartbeat:

Gurley
Elliot
Bell
Barkley
Jones
Cook
K Johnson
Carson or Penny in Seattle
Johnson
Brieda
Kamara
McCaffrey
Michel
Mack
Henry
Conner
Chubb & Johnson
Mixon
Gus Edwards
Gordon
Lindsay

I'm sure I missed a few as well

Yep. I believe that is more than 9. :)

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
Funny, because you just assume shit. Howard had 2 seasons that proved he was once a top 10 back in this league.

Hyde never had one. Hyde wasn't on his rookie deal, Howard is.

Howard was bad this year, Hyde's been bad pretty much his entire career.

Yes we are selling low but better not to sell at all.

Go fuck off.

So....no comment from you on the comparison of Hyde's 2017 season to Howard's 2018 season?

And, again, I realize that your postings have no actual research or thought put into them, but I assume that even the most bandwagon CCS Bears fan would have watched their playoff game...come on, man...

Nagy's solution was to try to make Howard the focal point of the offense, and newsflash, it didn't work in the playoffs.

All I can say is WTF, and then dread the pending profanity-laced response.

MrOuija

Liked Posts:
It's not a question of money or pick, he just doesn't fit. No use having him get 12 carries a game, be useless on screens, or run the same dive play that never works. Get a more explosive player, with better hands, and the QBs job gets easier, while the offense becomes less predictable.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
the same zone play may appear different nearly every time it is run, making a complementary set of plays difficult to execute as the defense doesn’t repeatedly face the same post-snap motion. This limits the capability to execute complementing runs as well as the play-action passing game, a drawback that should not be underestimated.

A lot of it has to do with what he is trying to do to compliment the run game. I assume he prefers gap blocking for his RPO's and bubble screens too.

First off...nice cut-and-paste job. At least you are trying to sound smart (perhaps too hard?). Second, I like your idea that the Bears can't utilize Howard's talents because he doesn't fit into their (alleged) bubble screen gap blocking scheme. Quite the "an avalanche starts with one snowflake" scenario. I am impressed.