What pick at #9 makes you vomit?

napo55

Liked Posts:
I just don't think BPA is a luxury that bad teams with lots of holes can employ. What if BPA is a safety/rb/qb/etc.? Draft them when we need to fix the trenches desperately?

BPA is great if used with caveats. And full BPA is great when you waltz into a draft with a team ready to compete for a Super Bowl.
Agreed. Of couse BPA is just a guideline and not a mandate. What if one position has BPA for several years in a row or is a position that has been addressed in the last couple of drafts?

PackerNation

Winning Is A Habit
Liked Posts:
PackerNation is actually right.
Newsflash! I'm often "right"

Peter Skoronski? He is a Packers fan, you can't have those types corrupting the roster in Chicago.

Did I ever tell you about my Bob Skoronski autographed jersey??

Great LT and Packers legend! Won 5 Championships in Green Bay.
gettyimages_139022125-1727fac7f6254e1137d27f7d700ad5b55292ab01-s1100-c50-1.jpg
Absolute Beast!

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
Newsflash! I'm often "right"

Peter Skoronski? He is a Packers fan, you can't have those types corrupting the roster in Chicago.

Did I ever tell you about my Bob Skoronski autographed jersey??

Great LT and Packers legend! Won 5 Championships in Green Bay.
View attachment 28409
Absolute Beast!
Skoronski already said he would be thrilled to play for the Bears. Who you grow up rooting for means nothing. Aaron Rodgers was a 49ers fan.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
I'm already at the point with Ryan Poles where none of it is actually going to be vomit-inducing. In order for the Bears to really hurt me I need to have some sort of expectations, and after basically twelve straight months of F-grade roster moves expectations are pretty fucking low.

I will laugh if they take a runningback at ninth. Especially in a class where great runningback prospects are going to be available much later in the draft.

PackerNation

Winning Is A Habit
Liked Posts:
He's still a 9ers fan
He may end up playing in San Fran if the Jets piss off Gute enough and he decides to cut them out of the trade.

I'm surprised Bears fans are all in on a OT at #9. Usually Bears fans are whining about OTs not being a sexy enough pick in the first round.

I guess some Bears fans are finally learning that winning all starts on both lines.

I'm sure there a few that still want the Bears to draft a WR at 9. Very doubtful to happen. That comes from a unbiased observer. I make fun of Poles a bit, but he is not an idiot.

Bears4Ever_34

Liked Posts:
Skoronski or Van Ness would make me sick, particularly Van Ness. Skoronski at least has top 10 tape, but I hate the measurables. Van Ness is not one of the 9 best players in this draft, not even close.

My personal big board would be:

1- Tyree Wilson
2- Jalen Carter
3- Paris Johnson
4- JSN
5- Bijon Robinson

Zvbxrpl

Liked Posts:
Jalen Carter. Two things can be true at the same time. He's the best prospect in a weak class at DT, and he's also lazy and not very bright. Too high maintenance and not enough plays from 2022 where he popped off the screen but somehow he's a 'blue chip.' I'm aware 2021 was the antithesis and the basis for why most like him.

Bryan Breese/Anybody severely preinjured. (Obviously football players get injured but I'm talking knee reconstruction types).

Bijan Robinson. Drafting a RB in the 1st round in 2023 deserves severe ridicule, but would be pretty on par for a stupid team stuck in 1985.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I just don't think BPA is a luxury that bad teams with lots of holes can employ. What if BPA is a safety/rb/qb/etc.? Draft them when we need to fix the trenches desperately?

BPA is great if used with caveats. And full BPA is great when you waltz into a draft with a team ready to compete for a Super Bowl.
Teams with lots of holes are EXACTLY the teams that can employ BPA.

They're more likely to have a need at the position of the BPA.

The idea that you need the D Iine before the Def backfield or vice versa is silly.

If you're replacing weak links in the chain, and can't replace them all at once, get the strongest ones you can.

A year from now they can be ore concentrated on fewer positions. But right now, they could benefit from talent at OT, DT, DE, C, CB, WR.....that screams BPA.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Jalen Carter. Two things can be true at the same time. He's the best prospect in a weak class at DT, and he's also lazy and not very bright. Too high maintenance and not enough plays from 2022 where he popped off the screen but somehow he's a 'blue chip.' I'm aware 2021 was the antithesis and the basis for why most like him.

Bryan Breese/Anybody severely preinjured. (Obviously football players get injured but I'm talking knee reconstruction types).

Bijan Robinson. Drafting a RB in the 1st round in 2023 deserves severe ridicule, but would be pretty on par for a stupid team stuck in 1985.

Can we at least pretend to know the Bears haven't had the same GM every season for 40 years, and that they have a new one now who has done literally nothing to indicate he is "stuck" in the past or on anything in particular?

And I won't take issue with anyone who has concerns about Carter. Very fair. But no need to add "he's the best of a weak class" as though he is only considered a good prospect because of others being worse. Analysts who do this for a living have him rated as the #1 talent in the draft and/or the best DT prospect since Aaron Donald.

Zvbxrpl

Liked Posts:
Can we at least pretend to know the Bears haven't had the same GM every season for 40 years, and that they have a new one now who has done literally nothing to indicate he is "stuck" in the past or on anything in particular?
That's just the thing. They haven't won in 40 years. The game has changed. The bears haven't, because they don't accept and refuse to start building the offense up front in an era where offense rules. Instead, its run, run some more, defense. That's just who the bears are.

I want them to change. But if you think drafting Bijan Robinson is a step in the right direction from the worst OL in football last year paying a guy what they let James Daniels, a guy they didn't need--walk away for and shuffling Cody Whitehair to C, (when he's not especially great there, as they've often kicked him back out to guard)--I'm going to ridicule and laugh at you if you think Fields can be just like Hurts or Allen or Tua with the 'year 3' statistical jump without the elite protection those teams are smart enough to get their QBs.

But no need to add "he's the best of a weak class" as though he is only considered a good prospect because of others being worse. Analysts who do this for a living have him rated as the #1 talent in the draft and/or the best DT prospect since Aaron Donald.
He is the best of a weak class. I may just look at this differently, but teams have met guys like Van Ness and Adebawore, two collegiate defensive ends and have top 30 visit trackers, about moving inside to 3T during the pre-draft process. Interpret that as you will, but I see that as an obvious signal that this is a weak DT class. And reaching on Carter is just an unnecessary risk when he's shown up fat, out of shape, and his choices off field aren't especially bright, on top of popping off the screen in 21 game tape before disappearing in 2022. I don't get the fascination now. I did after 2021.

Yes, there can be some good talents nonetheless. And yes, Carter is the creme, as much as I criticize. Many things can be true at the same time, what a concept.

I'm not sure exactly how this refutes what I've said.

As for what Analysts compare him to, I don't care. They're paid to bloviate during slow season. Now its Aaron Donald, yesterday it was Warren Sapp. Their opinions change like Chicago weather in spring. And it means fuck all after the draft until he's on the field.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
That's just the thing. They haven't won in 40 years. The game has changed. The bears haven't, because they don't accept and refuse to start building the offense up front in an era where offense rules. Instead, its run, run some more, defense. That's just who the bears are.

I want them to change. But if you think drafting Bijan Robinson is a step in the right direction from the worst OL in football last year paying a guy what they let James Daniels, a guy they didn't need--walk away for and shuffling Cody Whitehair to C, (when he's not especially great there, as they've often kicked him back out to guard)--I'm going to ridicule and laugh at you if you think Fields can be just like Hurts or Allen or Tua with the 'year 3' statistical jump without the elite protection those teams are smart enough to get their QBs.

He is the best of a weak class. I may just look at this differently, but teams have met guys like Van Ness and Adebawore, two collegiate defensive ends and have top 30 visit trackers, about moving inside to 3T during the pre-draft process. Interpret that as you will, but I see that as an obvious signal that this is a weak DT class. And reaching on Carter is just an unnecessary risk when he's shown up fat, out of shape, and his choices off field aren't especially bright, on top of popping off the screen in 21 game tape before disappearing in 2022. I don't get the fascination now. I did after 2021.

Yes, there can be some good talents nonetheless. And yes, Carter is the creme, as much as I criticize. Many things can be true at the same time, what a concept.

I'm not sure exactly how this refutes what I've said.

As for what Analysts compare him to, I don't care. They're paid to bloviate during slow season. Now its Aaron Donald, yesterday it was Warren Sapp. Their opinions change like Chicago weather in spring. And it means fuck all after the draft until he's on the field.
I am not arguing that it is a strong DT class. I am saying to simply describe Jalen Carter as “the best in a weak class“ is unfair or implies that he’s the tallest midget.

As far as his on the field play, analysts’ opinions have not changed. That’s the point. You’re acting like they are changing their tune on him every day when they have been very very consistent.

How someone decides to deal with the off the field stuff is a different story, but nobody has been changing their opinion of his play.

When it comes to focusing more on offense in today’s game, believe me I am with you. There are people on this board who continually want to see this team as a run focused offensive which I don’t think is the best way to go. But I have seen nothing from Ryan poles to indicate that he is stuck in 1985.

It just seems like we have a number of people on this board who are constantly throwing out statements like “such a Bears thing to do“ or “typical bears“ as though every GM has done the same thing or as though Ryan poles will automatically do what Phil Emery or Ryan Pace did, when he has actually shown thus far his philosophy is very very different.

I mean I get it if people are feeling like all the failed GM’s are the same, I just think it’s wise to give the new GM a chance. I get a vibe from him that is far closer to Theo Epstein than to Ryan pace.

Bearey Palpatine

Liked Posts:
Haha. Good post. Agree, I don't think he'll be there at #9
If The Bears are, supposedly, willing to take a chance on him so are most of the teams picking ahead of them. So yeah Carter will most likely be gone well before it's Chicago's turn.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
If The Bears are, supposedly, willing to take a chance on him so are most of the teams picking ahead of them. So yeah Carter will most likely be gone well before it's Chicago's turn.
See about 3 or 4 teams that will go QB and another 3 or 4 that would likely jump at the chance to draft Carter.

vinson555

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I am talking legitimate possibility, like guys in the top 15. Picks that grade out but personally do nothing for you.

-Christian Gonzalez. I just don't want a corner. It would also solidify that Kyler Gordon is a bust.

-JSN. Will get a ton of hate here but you can't take a slow (but yet agreed he is quick) slot WR at 9.

Flame on my draft brothers.
Someone who can't start at least by 2024 and be productive as such. I don't care if he's listed as the 125th best player on kipper's board if he is a 10 time pro bowler during his time here. Just means Poles was on to something.