What should the Bears NOT do in this draft?

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The problem with relying on two players to complete a skill set is defenses know what's coming when they're on the field. Barkley is an elite prospect who can do everything. It would be a tremendous pick for an offense that likes to throw the ball. I love Howard but if they had a shot at Barkley I'd have to take it. Cohen would still get plenty of playing time as a versatile third down back/slot receiver.

This presumes Howard doesn't improve which I think is dubious. I think he gets a lot of catches in this offense because that is a part of the offense in a way it wasn't before.

Let me put it like that. Even if Barkely has Bell or LT potential, I think more than likely he ends up in the Matt Forte range as a dual threat RB. Still a great back but not someone I give up Howard and a top pass rusher for. I just don't see the physicality as a runner for me to say that Bell or LT potential will be realized as it doesn't show up on tape like it does in the weight room but to each his/her own.

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I really don't get the Nelson haters. Is it at #8 or in general? Everything I've seen says he's elite.

Reactions: Myk

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
In general, I would say. OG, S, and RB are probably the 3 least valuable positions when you talk about the top 10 IMO. That just happens to be the spots where there are a few supposedly sure fire elite talents.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Well, this thread was humming along until the two man (?) argument derailed it.

I do not agree that Barkley should be off the table at #8.

In general, trading up for Chubb would be OK with me, but this year, I don't care to outbid teams looking for a QB. The flip side is we sit back and allow one extra QB to go top 5 and see what falls.

As for trading down - absolutely it should be on the table, depending on the deal. Into the 20's? Yes, taht's a long way, but that is why the price would be higher. (A second first rounder vs. a 2nd, for example. It evens out.) I have seen a few mocks that have Davenport going at #25. I don't think he'll fall that far, but if we traded down to the 20's, added a first rounder (and more), and walked away with Davenport, that would be a grand slam.

So...what three things NOT to do:

1. Draft a QB.
2. Draft a WR.
3. Draft a TE.

EVERYTHING else is on the table.

bears5150

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
I really don't get the Nelson haters. Is it at #8 or in general? Everything I've seen says he's elite.

I don't know why people on this board want @8 a player with a high ceiling, or potential, when you have Nelson who would go in the top 3 if not for QB hungry teams. If the Bears are lucky Nelson will be there at @8 and they will take him. He is as polished as they come but people on here want to settle for projects and potential.

Reactions: Myk

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I don't know why people on this board want @8 a player with a high ceiling, or potential, when you have Nelson who would go in the top 3 if not for QB hungry teams. If the Bears are lucky Nelson will be there at @8 and they will take him. He is as polished as they come but people on here want to settle for projects and potential.

No, people just want impact play makers with a premium pick. There are plenty of good guards on day two. Guard simply doesn't have the positional impact of a pass rusher.

If the greatest long snapper in the history of long snapping was in the draft I wouldn't want them at 8 either. Not that guard isn't more important than long snapper, but it's not as important as a pass rusher or corner, for example.

If it was a LT everyone would be all about it, I'm sure. Mike McGlinchey may end up being a more valuable player than Nelson even if his grade isn't as high.

theOHIOSTATE!

Liked Posts:
What should they not do....

They should NOT reach for a pass rusher that isn't a bonafide stud who will get production at the NFL level. I am not commenting on any particular athlete with this comment, but I think with guys like Nelson and Ward and dude from FSU being pretty much plug and play at a good level, I wouldn't risk it.

Just my 2 cents.

Luke

Liked Posts:
GG was saying that Lovie would have down graded Ward due to his poor ball skills and small hands