What was the point of hiring John Fox going into rebuild mode?

optimus prime

Liked Posts:
John fox is well into his 60's with heart problems and most likely will not be around when we have the talent to be serious contenders. We might as well have hired a young upstart coach and see what he had. We won't be contenders in 2017, 18 or 19, unless we somehow luck into a franchise qb.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Well, considering Fox's track record of turning around the Panthers and Broncos, that probably had something to do with it. He also has a lot of connections in the league as far as coaching personal - see Gase and Fangio. If we hired a nobody like Trestman, we end up with people like fucking Mel Tucker and Aaron Kromer for coordinator positions. Also, they wanted to pair a Vet coach with a young GM.

Boochee Man

Liked Posts:
John fox is well into his 60's with heart problems and most likely will not be around when we have the talent to be serious contenders. We might as well have hired a young upstart coach and see what he had. We won't be contenders in 2017, 18 or 19, unless we somehow luck into a franchise qb.

Several teams win without Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers. See last year's Broncos.

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

John Fox is 61, I wouldn't call that well into his 60s.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

Because he's a stable proven football coach with good connections who could assemble a good staff.

IMO he's just the type of reliable/proven commodity the Bears needed at coach coming off the Trestman/Emery debacle.

airtime143

This place is dead and buried.
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
belichick won at 62 the year before last.
Coughlin won at 61 and 65.

Vermiel rebuilt the 5-11 rams starting at age 61 and won the superbowl at 63.

A good coach is a good coach.

SweetHomeChicago

I have a Senior Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Fox has a track record of turning teams around.

Then you hire the coach that takes you all the way.

I think that's the plan at least.

So in closing he is the perfect coach for our situation.

Last edited:

Legaeveth

Liked Posts:
Give me a break anyone can keel over at anytime. His age isn't relevant his history of turning teams around though is. That is exactly what we need(ed). Our defense before he showed up was the worst ever in the history of the Bears organization and that says a lot since that is what we are known for. He surrounded himself with winners and either this year or next probably next we should reap the benefits of hiring him as a couch.

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:

Because hopefully just as they turn the corner into greatness and he dies (According to your logic) Fangio will be right there to step in and lead us on a 40 year run of Superbowels!

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:

He was the best coach available at the time. When you have a good coach on the market it attracts good assistants. This was a no brainer hire.

Urblock

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Do you guys want to have fun with threads like this or should I lock? My first full season as a mod. Leaning towards if in doubt lock it.

Alfalfa

Liked Posts:
Fox has a track record of turning teams around.

Then you hire the coach that takes you all the way.

I think that's the plan at least.

So in closing he is the perfect coach for our situation.

I say hire the coach that takes you all the way now. Hiring a coach you anticipate firing in a few years to get to the next level doesn't make much sense.

Tjodalv

Discoverer of Dragosaurs
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
There is no such thing as a rebuild mode in the NFL. It's a win now league, especially when the team has a 33 year old QB making 35 million a year.

Bwahahahah, sure buddy. What does one call it when a team starts jettisoning talented vets while their still producing in order to get young guys more opportunities? Oh right, a rebuild!

Then, of course, there's the fact that Cutler is one of the cheapest starting QBs over the next three years.

Your posting is incredibly overrated.

SweetHomeChicago

I have a Senior Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I say hire the coach that takes you all the way now. Hiring a coach you anticipate firing in a few years to get to the next level doesn't make much sense.

Not necessarily anticipate firing.

I think they believe they can and will win with him, but I also think at the time he was their best option to rebuild with.

PaytonHighstep

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Because hopefully just as they turn the corner into greatness and he dies (According to your logic) Fangio will be right there to step in and lead us on a 40 year run of Superbowels!

Can we keep it at heart issues, this talk of bowels makes me sick.

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
Do you guys want to have fun with threads like this or should I lock? My first full season as a mod. Leaning towards if in doubt lock it.

I'm still waiting for you to lock that stupid ass Cago thread from a few days ago about Braverman being a DB....

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
Can we keep it at heart issues, this talk of bowels makes me sick.

LoL, you know with the food intake the average Chicagoan takes in during the course of a Bears game they have to be pretty super..