What was the point of hiring John Fox going into rebuild mode?

BearFanJohn

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Beilichick is 64 so I suspect that the Patriots are getting ready to cut him lose, you know, because of his age. The lack of understanding or lack of information by some about very basic practices in the NFL can just blow your mind. No one is asking these HCs to run marathons. His heart issues might be, could be, under some circumstances, be problematic. But I would bet the his heart has been checked out.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Playoffs certainly aren't out the realm of possibilities, but it's not the most likely scenario either. Having an easy schedule is great and all, but it could very well end up being the toughest... that's why i put little weight in to that. We just don't know.

People clamoring 4-12 (hawk) are on the extremely pessimistic side of the equation, people saying 10-6 (12-4 if you're desp) are on the extremely optimistic side of the equation... but like most things in life, reality will fall somewhere in between.

8-8 is a safe bet imo.
Agree the SOS is a wild card, as in, if things go as I would hope, the Bears would be a tough team that accounts for a lower SOS for other teams based on last years record. However, as a whole, the Bears added some really good vets at positions of dire need and lost a a few good vets in Forte and Bennett. But it wasn't historical Forte they are replacing, they are replacing Forte's worst year in both rushing yards and receptions and 2nd worst in receiving yards and Bennett that had less than 1/2 the receiving yards in 2015 as 2014. TE is a wreck but last year it wasn't all that peachy.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
I think it was a good hire to get a well respected coach around the league and a players coach in here to get us going and if in another 2/3/4 years he doesn't have us at or close to super bowl level you get a new guy in here that can. Players want to play for him and coaches want to coach under him.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
I think the NFL should just Logan's Run all coaches over 60.

logans-runa.jpg

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Ok.

That's fine. I wasn't disagreeing with the plan, I was simply stating what it is.

That's fine. If the Bears make the playoffs this year IMO they "sneak" in. If the plan goes as prescribed I think 2017 and 2018 are the years where the Bears make the playoffs because they "should" not because IMO, if they make it this year they kind of sneak in as a 9-7 2nd WC team.

Yeah i think this year will be a good year to find out just what we have at RB, TE, WR, OL and our DB's and we already know what we have at QB so next years offseason and draft could be the offseason and draft to finish this rebuild/retooling job that we're in the middle of and we should have the money to make a big difference. With us not spending all of our cap this offseason which i think we still have somewhere around $20+ million left and adding that to whatever we'll have next offseason we should have plenty of money to add some serious pieces to this team that could put us where we need to be to make that next step to the playoffs/super bowl so i agree that 2017/2018 are the difference making seasons for us.

gwharris2254

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
After wadimg thru zillions of f'up pages of fights between CCS members its nice to actually read discussions today.... and not just in one thread !
Thank the Lord we are almost to gametime

Tjodalv

Discoverer of Dragosaurs
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Vets that did not produce and contribute to losing season after losing season? Of course they gonna dump them. Jay Cutler on the other hand is basically untradeable due to his bloated contract taking up cap space.

So, Marshall, Forte, Bennett, and Slauson didn't produce?

And you do realize that Cutler would only be a cap hit of 16, 15, and 16 to another team over the next three seasons (including the one coming up), right? That would put him at the 22nd highest average over that period. Damn that bloated contract!

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
))))))))

Last edited:

Bones40

Liked Posts:
John fox is well into his 60's with heart problems and most likely will not be around when we have the talent to be serious contenders. We might as well have hired a young upstart coach and see what he had. We won't be contenders in 2017, 18 or 19, unless we somehow luck into a franchise qb.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

It's pretty simple. Fox was hired to rebuild because he has shown over a long career that he is a very capable at rebuilding. I'm not sure why you would hire someone who is either not good at it, or has never done it when there is a guy available that has done it well multiple times in his career.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Beilichick is 64 so I suspect that the Patriots are getting ready to cut him lose, you know, because of his age. The lack of understanding or lack of information by some about very basic practices in the NFL can just blow your mind. No one is asking these HCs to run marathons. His heart issues might be, could be, under some circumstances, be problematic. But I would bet the his heart has been checked out.

Belicheat has no heart. He is the anti-Christ personified.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Agree the SOS is a wild card, as in, if things go as I would hope, the Bears would be a tough team that accounts for a lower SOS for other teams based on last years record. However, as a whole, the Bears added some really good vets at positions of dire need and lost a a few good vets in Forte and Bennett. But it wasn't historical Forte they are replacing, they are replacing Forte's worst year in both rushing yards and receptions and 2nd worst in receiving yards and Bennett that had less than 1/2 the receiving yards in 2015 as 2014. TE is a wreck but last year it wasn't all that peachy.

Funny. Two guys get hurt and miss some games and then someone looks up their stats and say that they had bad years. That is called HOW TO LIE WITH STATISTICS:(

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Funny. Two guys get hurt and miss some games and then someone looks up their stats and say that they had bad years. That is called HOW TO LIE WITH STATISTICS:(
The point you are unable to grasp is that it is easy to see the names gone from last year and see difficulty filling what they provided last year. The reality is what they provided last year is not what you would expect as the were injured and and/or underperformed.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The point you are unable to grasp is that it is easy to see the names gone from last year and see difficulty filling what they provided last year. The reality is what they provided last year is not what you would expect as the were injured and and/or underperformed.

My goodness. For an educated person, logic seems to fall out of your purview. You completely miss the point. If a person doesn't play, he cannot catch passes or run for yardage. You talked about the two as if their capability was lacking and pointed toward their statistics as evidence. IF you PROJECTED their actual performance on the field toward what the stats would be for a complete 16 game season, both of them would be in the top tier of their respective positions. Easy Peezey lemon squeezey.

Your welcome in advance for educating you on statistical inference:)

optimus prime

Liked Posts:
I need to start getting respect around here. Everyone calls me crazy and dumb but I'm always vindicated by time.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

SlickWilly

Team Ignore Member #2
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Detroit Pistons
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
I need to start getting respect around here. Everyone calls me crazy and dumb but I'm always vindicated by time.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Why??? You started his thread with the assumption that John Fox would be dead from a heart attack by the time we contend, not that he was a bad coach.