What we need on Offense

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Agree with both of these. YAC is a luxury. And with the bunch of other needs, few draft picks, and lack of cap space.....it's going to take a lot of creativity to add some speed (which isn't the end-all, be-all for YAC anyway). Right now all 6 WRs are back. Even if you cut Gabriel, Ridley basically sat all year so you're still playing with 5 which is enough.

Also, the 2nd post is dead on. Mitch (like Cutler) doesn't throw with great anticipation (or great anything). Then with his bouts of inaccuracy, that's not very conducive to YAC. Seems like something we're just going to have to deal with as long as Mitch is the QB.
Seriously man, it annoys the piss out of me and one of the reasons I bailed on Mitch early. He can't anticipate shit. All of the franchise guys throw balls into windows before a WR is even looking or makes their break. All of Trubisky's WRs have to be open BEFORE he throws the ball. I bet 6 of Robinson's 9 catches yesterday, he was just standing in the middle of the field waiting for the ball to be thrown with the DB butt humping him. Tough to gain YAC with that. The other 3 were screens lol.

Also, one of the reasons I place more blame on Trubisky than Nagy/OL struggles.

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
The bears need another receiver. Sure TE and OL are bigger needs but after Allen Robinson this offense has 0 weapons. Wims and Ridley are depth players, nothing more. Anyone waiting on a 4th and 6th round player to develop need to let that idea go. Anthony Miller is a great slot guy but too inconsistent. This offense needs another weapon and a true deep threat.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
I think you let Patterson and Cohen run the routes with the most anticipated YAC. Agreed that both of these players aren't ideal, but both of them are dangerous in space.

While the Bears don't have much WR talent, I think they have enough gimmicky players to get by. A more solid running game and TE play and I think many of these gimmicks start to open up considerably.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
The bears need another receiver. Sure TE and OL are bigger needs but after Allen Robinson this offense has 0 weapons. Wims and Ridley are depth players, nothing more. Anyone waiting on a 4th and 6th round player to develop need to let that idea go. Anthony Miller is a great slot guy but too inconsistent. This offense needs another weapon and a true deep threat.

The thing about Miller being inconsistent.......maybe it has a lot to do with having the most inconsistent QB in the league.
The thing about needing a deep threat............maybe not being able to hit deep passes has a lot to do with having the most inconsistent QB in the league (who is terrible throwing deep).

I think Bears fans spend too much time focused on trying to put together the ideal offense, when this team can't even put together basic competency. Yall want a speed WR and a revamped TE room, when all that is needed is a QB to hit guys that are open.

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
With the way the offense regressed as a unit, it’s definitely a scheme/coaching issue. You fit your offense to what you have not what your ego wants it to be. Much easier to relieve Nagy of his play calling duties first and hire an actual OC with an outside viewpoint than replacing 8 guys on one side of the ball in one offseason with no draft capital.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
With the way the offense regressed as a unit, it’s definitely a scheme/coaching issue. You fit your offense to what you have not what your ego wants it to be. Much easier to relieve Nagy of his play calling duties first and hire an actual OC with an outside viewpoint than replacing 8 guys on one side of the ball in one offseason with no draft capital.

It's the same scheme/coaching as 2018. The thing that changed is the QB played much worse. You can say fit your offense to what you have.....but what do you have? What does Mitch do well enough to build your offense around? Run? Can't build your offense around the QB running. He's not as great on rollouts as people think.

bearsfan1977

Liked Posts:
Yeah, seems like the Lions are going to let Glasgow walk for some odd reason. Becton is probably going in the first round. Like you said, TON of love in the scouting community. And he probably has the most fun tape to watch in this draft. Absolutely destroys people and amazing size.

Both would be great if we could land them.

The wild card to me is Alex Bars. Hopefully overtakes the weaker of Massie or Daniels.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
The Bears should seriously consider Breshad Perriman who is a free agent and starting to realize some of his potential. He’s big and extremely fast. He and Robinson outside with Miller in the slot would be formidable. Wims, Ridley and Patterson would be numbers 4-6. Gabriel should be cut.

Pace needs to bring in a real vet TD. He loves Hunter Henry but he’ll need to be creative to get that done. However, he does have injury concerns. There will be a number of TEs in the draft with second round talent. The TEs from Purdue, Missouri and FAU all look pretty good. The Washington and Vanderbilt guys look good too. The Bears need to grab one. The other pick should be for the best available o-linemen.

They will have 8 picks. They need to make them count.

gilder121

I don't care nearly as much anymore
Donator
Liked Posts:
- Ride with Trubisky unless you see someone you love in the draft. (2021 is the year they should replace him).
If this happens, I don't see Nagy surviving next year regardless of whether he hands off play calling duty or not. It sounds like you're probably ok with that. I would personally hate to see Nagy ultimately judged on an offense run by a first round bust that was drafted before he got here.

jtreal3

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
There is no particular order to this but

-QB to compete
-Starting RG
-OT to compete
-New Y TE
-Possibly new U TE
-Speed WR, the Bears get pathetic YAC yards and have no real deep threat
-Backup RB
No, we need a QB that is a real starter, not someone to compete with a back-up to be the starter!

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
If this happens, I don't see Nagy surviving next year regardless of whether he hands off play calling duty or not. It sounds like you're probably ok with that. I would personally hate to see Nagy ultimately judged on an offense run by a first round bust that was drafted before he got here.

What other option exists? Pay Bridgewater 25 mil per season?

MontanaXXIII

Liked Posts:
Seriously man, it annoys the piss out of me and one of the reasons I bailed on Mitch early. He can't anticipate shit. All of the franchise guys throw balls into windows before a WR is even looking or makes their break. All of Trubisky's WRs have to be open BEFORE he throws the ball. I bet 6 of Robinson's 9 catches yesterday, he was just standing in the middle of the field waiting for the ball to be thrown with the DB butt humping him. Tough to gain YAC with that. The other 3 were screens lol.

Also, one of the reasons I place more blame on Trubisky than Nagy/OL struggles.

No. No they don't. Most QBs are hitting the ocean from a rowboat. They're hitting wide open receivers. Even Collinsworth mentioned that if you watch the film, Trubisky's highlights look very similar to Mahomes's. It's the lack of the easy stuff that is the difference. Mitch has missed several easy throws, but most of it is Nagy's incompetence.

Most RAC yards come from screens. The Bears' screens are horribly designed and horribly executed. It has nothing to do with Trubisky.

kg1187

Liked Posts:
The Bears only real hope for vast improvement is adding a QB and hoping that has a trickle down effect on the rest of the team. The Bears have too many needs and not enough resources to fill all the holes on the roster.

Whether its through trade, free agency or the draft a competent QB would make the o-line and weaponry look better.

The more the offense scores and keep the defense rested the better they will perform.

Due to the excessive excuse making for the poor play of Cutler and now Mitch Bears fans are always make it seem like the players around the QB are dragging him down when the opposite is also true. Poor QB play can also drag down the performance of the rest of the offense.

Pace and Nagy should assume that Mitch is in fact holding back the offense and not the other way around.

Address QB and hopefully everyone's performance improves by cutting away the dragging anchor that Mitch is to the offense.

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:
There is no particular order to this but

-QB to compete
-Starting RG
-OT to compete
-New Y TE
-Possibly new U TE
-Speed WR, the Bears get pathetic YAC yards and have no real deep threat
-Backup RB

Windy. We have a terrible lt. We protect him with playcalling and when we dont he either gives up a pressure or worse, a penalty or sack.

We need a good starting LT.

A deep threat doesnt exist either. 80% of those deep balls are completed to a 6'1 200lbs 4,4 guy. We have A rob but hes a rout running hands and athleticism guy. His speed is isnt elite.

Those guys are rare. But not that rare. Gabriel isn't able to compensate for his lack of size with Trubiskys accuracy.

Make no mistake though. 50% of gabriels deep balls are caught if hes 15 poinds heavier and 3 inches taller.

No TEs. This is a TE driven league. 49ers, Chiefs get carried at times by kittle and kelce.

Look at NE without Gronk.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The Bears only real hope for vast improvement is adding a QB and hoping that has a trickle down effect on the rest of the team. The Bears have too many needs and not enough resources to fill all the holes on the roster.

Whether its through trade, free agency or the draft a competent QB would make the o-line and weaponry look better.

The more the offense scores and keep the defense rested the better they will perform.

Due to the excessive excuse making for the poor play of Cutler and now Mitch Bears fans are always make it seem like the players around the QB are dragging him down when the opposite is also true. Poor QB play can also drag down the performance of the rest of the offense.

Pace and Nagy should assume that Mitch is in fact holding back the offense and not the other way around.

Address QB and hopefully everyone's performance improves by cutting away the dragging anchor that Mitch is to the offense.

They have an offensive line that was just beat down by Minny's second team and their tight ends are practice squad players....and yet you believe a different QB will fix that?

:obama:

gilder121

I don't care nearly as much anymore
Donator
Liked Posts:
What other option exists? Pay Bridgewater 25 mil per season?

Floyd, Amukamara, Gabriel, Patterson, Long are all reasonable cut candidates without being impact players on offense or defense.

Bears can also do restructures to get money.

I would consider pretty much any other QB that shakes loose. That may be Bridgewater, Brady, Rivers, Fitzpatrick, Foles, Smith, whatever. Just about anyone but Cam for me. Most of these guys are bridge guys, but they at least give Nagy a chance with a QB that has experience reading a defense. If Nagy still plays the same contracted offense and can't get the defense to back up, then we will be on the same page that he probably stinks as a play caller and needs to go.

One of the big things I struggle to get over is how much Nagy's "Be you" play sheet decreased through the season. I have to believe the majority of that is because Mitch wasn't trusted.

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
The Bears should seriously consider Breshad Perriman who is a free agent and starting to realize some of his potential. He’s big and extremely fast. He and Robinson outside with Miller in the slot would be formidable. Wims, Ridley and Patterson would be numbers 4-6. Gabriel should be cut.

Pace needs to bring in a real vet TD. He loves Hunter Henry but he’ll need to be creative to get that done. However, he does have injury concerns. There will be a number of TEs in the draft with second round talent. The TEs from Purdue, Missouri and FAU all look pretty good. The Washington and Vanderbilt guys look good too. The Bears need to grab one. The other pick should be for the best available o-linemen.

They will have 8 picks. They need to make them count.
This is not a good idea. Former 1st round bust. That guy is worse than Gabriel. He turned it on the last 3 games of this season and was gone for the rest. One of those games he had 3 TDS. I'd only welcome him if he came very cheap.

kg1187

Liked Posts:
They have an offensive line that was just beat down by Minny's second team and their tight ends are practice squad players....and yet you believe a different QB will fix that?

:obama:

Reinvest the Long savings at RG and hope that Leno and Massie rebound to their 2018 forms. Maybe they add a mid-round OT for competition. As I've already covered in another thread the Bears are stuck with Leno and Massie next season contractually. Like it or not they're not going anywhere in 2020.

Nagy committing to the run more it would help out the o-line a lot too.

Re-sign Jordan Howard, add a competent QB with a commitment to the run game and watch the o-line improve.