What would you give to trade up for MHJ

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
Keeping #75 in this deal is nice but giving up the 2025 pick will hurt when we're actually sitting at this time next year. I think i might do this deal for MHJ, or at least wouldn't be mad about doing it. Kinda like how i don't think drafting Bowers at #9 is the best option but i wouldn't be mad at having a talent like him on this team.
Maybe. But CHI has two 2nd round picks next year, so not that painful.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
You don’t understand what unlocking the underlying value of the founding franchise can mean to ownership?

The Bears are worth a fortune now. What would they be worth if they were relevant on the field and from a national perspective.

Perception adds value. The Bears have been bumping into themselves for decades. Imagine if they had vision and were able to execute.

What would Caleb and MHJ mean from a marketing perspective? How much value would they add from a corporate sponsorship standpoint? How about the new stadium naming rights?

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
You don’t understand what unlocking the underlying value of the founding franchise can mean to ownership?

The Bears are worth a fortune now. What would they be worth if they were relevant on the field and from a national perspective.

Perception adds value. The Bears have been bumping into themselves for decades. Imagine if they had vision and were able to execute.

What would Caleb and MHJ mean from a marketing perspective? How much value would they add from a corporate sponsorship standpoint? How about the new stadium naming rights?

How about just winning? 🤔

You’re reading way too much into this.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Maybe. But CHI has two 2nd round picks next year, so not that painful.
We have two 2nd round picks but it'll always be painful when that draft hits the 2nd round and you see all the players the Bears need and would love to have when the pick you traded away is about to be on the clock.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Here's how I'd process a MHJ trade:

Question 1- Is there much separation between MHJ and Rome Odunze?

If the answer is yes, then you should have no qualms about giving up a future 1st + whatever else to acquire Harrison. If the answer is no, then proceed to asking yourself a 2nd question:

Question 2- How likely is it that Rome falls to #9?

If the answer is likely, then you probably stay put and wait to take Rome at #9. If it's less clear or you don't think he'll be there, then you only move up for Harrison if you can afford to do it without giving up a future 1st. This likely means Harrison would have to fall out of the top 4 for this to happen. Otherwise, you play the gamble and hope Rome falls. If he doesn't, then you proceed to the final question:

Question 3- Brock Bowers vs the 2nd best OL vs trade down?

Personally, I'm on team trade up within reason (no future 1st) if Harrison somehow falls to #5 and the Bears can get something done without giving up a ton of draft capital, but if not, then I'd be content waiting it out until 9 and taking Rome (if available) or Bowers (If Rome isn't available.)

I don't personally like the idea of trading down now that the team is in win now mode and draft picks are becoming less valuable than they were 2 years ago during the beginning stages of a rebuild. This is probably the last time they'll be picking in the top 10 for hopefully many years. I want another blue chip prospect.
If they trade down at #9 because of who was drafted in first 8, and they grab an OT or DE not worth the #9, that doesn't mean they're not trying to win just as quickly.

TL1961

Liked Posts:

I want my GM building a Super Bowl winning team. I couldn't care less about marketing.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
We have two 2nd round picks but it'll always be painful when that draft hits the 2nd round and you see all the players the Bears need and would love to have when the pick you traded away is about to be on the clock.
And how is that different from trading any pick any time?

next year we actually have more picks that’s usual, which is why it would be less painful.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
I want my GM building a Super Bowl winning team. I couldn't care less about marketing.
They don’t care about what you think.

Also, Caleb Williams and MHJ will impede the ability to win?

It’s a business first.

I own a PSL. They are polite to me. My rep invites me to a bunch of cool stuff. They’ll ask for opinions on surveys but ultimately it’s about maximizing their bottom line and building the value of their franchise.

Williams and Harrison Jr. raise their profile and increase the value of their franchise.

They probably won’t do it but I understand why they would consider it.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

It’s a business first.

I own a PSL. They are polite to me. My rep invites me to a bunch of cool stuff. They’ll ask for opinions on surveys but ultimately it’s about maximizing their bottom line and building the value of their franchise.

Williams and Harrison Jr. raise their profile and increase the value of their franchise.

You know what really increases value? Winning.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Ok, so a combo of Williams and MHJ aren’t instrumental in helping them win?

Never said they wouldn’t be. But your comments about players increasing the value is hilarious. I can guarantee you Poles is drafting to win. And not for marketing or increasing the franchise value. Have no clue why you went down this path.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
Never said they wouldn’t be. But your comments about players increasing the value is hilarious. I can guarantee you Poles is drafting to win. And not for marketing or increasing the franchise value. Have no clue why you went down this path.
Wow, you’re making this too easy.

What did Jordan do for the value of the Bulls?

His presence gentrified the west side of the city too.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Wow, you’re making this too easy.

What did Jordan do for the value of the Bulls?

His presence gentrified the west side of the city too.

So the Bears should trade two firsts and two third’s because MHJ is Jordan now?

IBleedBearsBlood

Liked Posts:
Right? Even Jordan needed a team. But I’m glad he helped with his talent and Jordan “is” a fucking BEAST.

Let’s be honest, if it was all Jordan, then why have 4 others on the court with him? Why were games so close too in the finals at times? We should have been beating teams by at least 20 points. Jordan did his part and is the fucking GOAT. But Jordan alone, hell, Jordan and Pippen alone wouldn’t win shit.

Caleb and MHJ alone won’t take us to a Super Bowl. Hell, Brady and Moss couldn’t even win one. Stafford and Megatron couldn’t get to one.

Defense is not top 5 with Jones gone. It can be up there if Dexter goes to the next level. But look at the last game, the packers game. He was non existent. Very bad game there. That doesn’t mean he will play like that forever. He can get better and be consistent instead of being inconsistent. But let’s not act like we all know for sure he will play like Jones. And I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt that he can improve. I want him to improve.

If we stick with the drafts picks we have right now for the next 4 years without making any trades, we will get NINE top 64 selections. I’d be very comfortable in 3 or 4 years with players we select for this team, with a QB that should already be 90% - 100% NFL polished. And that’s just counting 1st and 2nd rounders. We still have 3rd rounders and up that can pan out or be great back ups.

Last edited:

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
I didn’t say they should do it but unlike you I understand why they would consider it. Tell me when two “once in a generation” players were selected by the same NFL team in the same year?

MHJ and Williams have considerably higher profiles as prospects compared to Jordan coming out.

Jordan was the third pick in a league where only 5 players start. Nobody pegged him as a superstar coming out of UNC.

Jordan averaged 20 points in his best statistical season in college

Jordan became a legend in the NBA.

The Bears have been a joke other than a few pockets of unsustained success since the 80s.
It’s a chance to take a swing at greatness and relevance. If the Bears pulled it off what would everyone be talking about? If they live up to the hype, nobody would give s shit about a few extra draft picks used to make it happen and they would instrumental in helping the Bears win on a consistent basis. Also, do you think Williams and MHJ would make Chicago a destination for free agents going forward? I do.

All that said, I still love Odunze at 9.

TL1961

Liked Posts:

It’s a business first.

They would certainly help the team win. That has nothing to do with my comment.

Poles' job is not to increase the value of the team. It's to win on the field. Warren can worry about the value. I don't need Poles spending time negotiating concession deals or parking contracts.

And I don't care if they care or you care what I think about that. I want the GM focused on winning Super Bowls. Not sure why that would be a foreign concept or controversial.