Where do you rank David Montgomery at RB?

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I'm not going to play the "is he top 10" or whatever game...

He's good enough to help you win.

He's good enough that I don't worry about him at all.

He's not good enough that I want Pace to sign him to an extention. But that's also partly (largely) due to the position he plays.

Hopefuly he is here for two more years and plays great. Then let him go. Would be a huge mistake IMO to sign him to a large second contract.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
He is:
Cheap
generally available, especially given his workload
solid ball security
can competently run, run routes and catch, and block, and I'd say he's a bit above average at each

I don't think any team benefits from signing RBs to big long term deals, so these are the traits I look for. Don't invest much, draft an RB in rounds 3-6 every other year, sign cheap guys to fill in the gaps. It's rare that RBs are anywhere near elite value on their second deal, and even if they are it's a position that is usually very dependent on other players.
This is so true and always makes me feel so bad for these kids that make playing RB a NFL career. They definitely put their bodies through the most beating of any other position, but unless you're in the elite skill rankings of the position then it's hard to find a team to pay up with a nice sized 2nd contract and once you get in your late 20's it's hard to even get anything more than a 1 year deal and unless you're Frank Gore it's hard to get even a 1 year deal once you hit 30.

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I'm not going to play the "is he top 10" or whatever game...

He's good enough to help you win.

He's good enough that I don't worry about him at all.

He's not good enough that I want Pace to sign him to an extention. But that's also partly (largely) due to the position he plays.

Hopefuly he is here for two more years and plays great. Then let him go. Would be a huge mistake IMO to sign him to a large second contract.
Don't think it's the best idea to just keep cycling through RBs

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:
He's good enough to be the starting RB on a winning team. In the NFL today RB is just not as important as it was 20-30 years ago. Good enough works, especially if they catch passes well. Look at the top 10 RB list - how many of those are on dogshit teams? Now look at the list of top 10 QBs - how many of them are on dog shit teams? Maybe not a fair comparison, but some positions just have more impact than others on the win column, and a great RB just doesn't move the needle as much in todays NFL.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
I love Montgomery. He's anywhere from back of the top 10 to early teens. Was top 5 in production last year, when you factor in health, then I think he's still top 1/2 of the league. But he's exactly what you want out of a RB. He's cheap on a rookie deal. He's not bad enough that you need to replace him like they did Howard. But he's also not dynamic enough that you have to worry bout giving him 30-40Mil when he's a FA in a couple years. I think he worked on his long speed last offseason as he clearly (to me) had another gear from 2019 to 2020. I'd imagine we'd see more of the same this offseason.

bears51/40

Liked Posts:
I like Montgomery, but just to play devil's advocate, most of his production came against some truly terrible defenses.
Throwing out some really terrible defenses he also did this to the Packers 143 total yards, Packers again 132 total yards, Saints 105 total yards, Giants who I believe had a top 10 defense 127 total yards.

Marley's Liberality

Liked Posts:
I love Montgomery. He's anywhere from back of the top 10 to early teens. Was top 5 in production last year, when you factor in health, then I think he's still top 1/2 of the league. But he's exactly what you want out of a RB. He's cheap on a rookie deal. He's not bad enough that you need to replace him like they did Howard. But he's also not dynamic enough that you have to worry bout giving him 30-40Mil when he's a FA in a couple years. I think he worked on his long speed last offseason as he clearly (to me) had another gear from 2019 to 2020. I'd imagine we'd see more of the same this offseason.

Agreed. I wouldn't be reluctant to give him a second contract like some others here because I don't think he will be able to break the bank.

Three down backs aren't as plentiful as some think, even among the top half of the league.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
Monty is not the problem with our Running Game...I would say just the opposite is true, he is the reason we have any running game.....

If the O-line is improved, I think he is totally capable of eating up clock and having a few big plays per year. Not sure if he is the kind of guy that is going to get 200 yards in a game on a regular (came close a couple of times last year), but he is very capable of breaking 150 yards on a regular basis....

I like Monty and I think this year might just be the best one yet, and that is saying a lot, considering Nagy is calling plays and he was already 5th in yards last year...

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Montgomery's ability to break tackles and his elusiveness are elite. He has above average vision. He lacks burst and speed. Those are huge factors unfortunately. He stutter steps in the backfield a bit too much with how bad our oline has been. With an improved oline and better QB play, he could have a big year. If Nagy calls running plays...

I think he's a top 12 RB in the league, with the potential to be much more.

94c4lt1

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Top 15 RB IMO especially given our porous and inept offensive line (for most of last season).

Montgomery was 3rd in broken tackles at 29 behind only Dalvin Cook (33) and Derrick Henry (34) (Monte was also 3rd in the NFL in attempts per broken tackle so reps don't matter). Montgomery was 5th in YAC (Yards After Contact) in the NFL. That shows his potential. He lacks elite speed, certainly, but if he had that he'd probably be a top 5 RB and we wouldn't have been able to draft him. He's also got surprisingly adept hands at pass catching from what I've seen.

Off topic, but Derrick Henry had 1073 yards AFTER CONTACT LOL
That's phenomenal!

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
Montgomery's ability to break tackles and his elusiveness are elite. He has above average vision. He lacks burst and speed. Those are huge factors unfortunately. He stutter steps in the backfield a bit too much with how bad our oline has been. With an improved oline and better QB play, he could have a big year. If Nagy calls running plays...

I think he's a top 12 RB in the league, with the potential to be much more.
His feet in space yes, but he's not quick off the line. I can't wait to see what he can do with an accurate quarterback with screens, etc.

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
Throwing out some really terrible defenses he also did this to the Packers 143 total yards, Packers again 132 total yards, Saints 105 total yards, Giants who I believe had a top 10 defense 127 total yards.

Packers had a bad rushjng defense. 21th in ypc. Offense was so good it basically was their rushing defense.

I'm just saying his being 5th in rushing yards doesn't equate to him being the 5th best back. I think he's a good running back.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
He hit 1,070 yards last season behind a pitiful offensive line but is he a top ten RB? Aaron Jones and Dalvin Cook seem more talented.

i think Monty is good. But if he were Top 10, I don't think it would be more obvious.

Having said that, top 10 is a comparison, and I didn't really watch a ton of other RBs last year. I'm just saying, watching Monty, I don't think he's yet anything notably exceptional. But I could see him progressing into that.

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
He has the potential to be a top 5 back but needs to be continued to be used as the feature guy. What makes him most dangerous is his dual ability as a runner and pass catcher. I also think he gets better the more he is involved in the game and can gain a rhythm.

Throw in an improved OLine and a QB like Just Fields that can do real damage with his legs it bodes well for Monty.

Unfortunately I predict an inconsistent season for him. We have a tough schedule. Dalton will likely start the season at QB. It will take time for the OL to mesh. And Nagy will probably try to rotate running backs more than he should. But then pick it up in the 2nd half of the season.

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:
He has the potential to be a top 5 back but needs to be continued to be used as the feature guy. What makes him most dangerous is his dual ability as a runner and pass catcher. I also think he gets better the more he is involved in the game and can gain a rhythm.

Throw in an improved OLine and a QB like Just Fields that can do real damage with his legs it bodes well for Monty.

Unfortunately I predict an inconsistent season for him. We have a tough schedule. Dalton will likely start the season at QB. It will take time for the OL to mesh. And Nagy will probably try to rotate running backs more than he should. But then pick it up in the 2nd half of the season.
I think Monty is a solid back, but top 5? I think he falls within the 10-12 range. I think these guys are overall better RBs, and then after that is when you can start shifting a lot of rbs around.

Henry
Cook
McCaffrey
Barkley
Kamara
Elliot
Chubb

Spankypants

Liked Posts:
I like Montgomery, but just to play devil's advocate, most of his production came against some truly terrible defenses.
Hate to break it to you, but all the RB's you rate above him play those same "terrible defenses".