Where do you rank David Montgomery at RB?

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
First of all calm down for me and remember all i said i was doing was listing the names of the RB's in the NFL and never had any order set or said they were all better than Monty, which i don't think they all are and would take Monty over Mixon and Carson. Some of these guys are just totally different type RB's than what Monty is but are still very good at being the starting RB for their teams.

Jacobs and Ekeler are absolutely legit starting RB's. I think Jacobs is a good one to use as a comparison for Monty but is probably a little faster, not much but a little.

Jacobs is awful in pass blocking and in the passing game. A waste of a 1st round pick. I'd rather have Monty over him every day of the week

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
He's somewhere between Curtis Martin and LaDanian Tomlinson

jive

Liked Posts:
I need to see more than one 1000 yard season to see how good David Montgomery is. There have been literally hundreds of NFL RBs that have had 1 or 2 decent seasons and then fade away. Raymont Harris, Anthony Thomas, Jordan Howard, Rashaan Salaam, and Jonathan Allen are examples for just the Bears. Others are Charles White, Steve Slaton, Olandis Gary, Mike Anderson, Ickey Woods, Peyton Hillis, Bobby Humphrey, Lamar Smith, Barry Foster, Natrone Means, and the list goes on and on. This is not uncommon for the RB position.

David Montgomery has great contact balance. He's shifty and can gain yards after contact. He has functional speed, but he does not have the speed to be an elite back. I have seen many of his big plays that would have been taken to the house if it were Matt Forte or Neal Anderson. Instead, David Montgomery is caught from behind. He hits the hole hard, but there's plenty of other backs that hit it faster. He has good hands as a receiver, but that lack of speed will prevent him from running the full WR route tree like Faulk or Anderson if he motions out wide.
It has been shown that he needs the line to play at a high level to succeed, which means he lacks the ability to create on his own like the greats such as Walter Payton or Barry Sanders. If Sweetness had the 85 offensive line for the entirety of his career instead of the crap he had in the 70s, he'd have over 20,000 career yards. He would have had an unbeatable record. If Barry Sanders played behind the Dallas O-Line of that time, he'd have 2500 yards in a season easy, and maybe even 3000.

David Montgomery is a good back, and I hope he develops into a great back. But, neither is going to happen unless the line plays solid.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange

bamainatlanta

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Jacobs is not awful in the passing game or pass blocking.

Lmao. He is rarely a 3rd down back, and reading that article even more makes me laugh. Kenyan Drake is a waste of a contract as he has one or 2 good games a year and then disappears. You can find RB's that are just as good as Jacobs anywhere in the draft. Hence why he was a waste of a 1st round pick. He simply ain't special or anywhere close to elite

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Lmao. He is rarely a 3rd down back, and reading that article even more makes me laugh. Kenyan Drake is a waste of a contract as he has one or 2 good games a year and then disappears. You can find RB's that are just as good as Jacobs anywhere in the draft. Hence why he was a waste of a 1st round pick. He simply ain't special or anywhere close to elite
Never said he was elite but definitely a good all around 3 down RB in this league who i have right there with Monty. If i had to choose out of the two i'd probably choose Jacobs cause he can do everything Monty does and has more speed, not much but definitely more, but i'm happy with Monty.

Agree to disagree.

bamainatlanta

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Never said he was elite but definitely a good all around 3 down RB in this league who i have right there with Monty. If i had to choose out of the two i'd probably choose Jacobs cause he can do everything Monty does and has more speed, not much but definitely more, but i'm happy with Monty.

Agree to disagree.

And you want to spend a 1st round pick on a back like that? Lmao.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
I rank him as meh. He did most of his damage last year against the worst run defenses in the league.

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
Good solid NFL back... Catches, shifty, runs well. No hall of famer but isn't a dud either. Very serviceable with some cool qualities like yards after hit or getting folks to miss and always seems to fall forward.

BearFanJohn

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
He's good as in fine. He may be better than many of us think but RB is not a position of weakness with him.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Guys who are for sure better

Kamara
McCaffery
Elliott
A Jones
Cook
Henry
Mixon
Chubb

The conversation starts around 8.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
And you want to spend a 1st round pick on a back like that? Lmao.
Wait a minute, when did i say i wanted to spend a 1st round pick on him or any RB? All i simply said was that he's a good RB. GEESH

bamainatlanta

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Wait a minute, when did i say i wanted to spend a 1st round pick on him or any RB? All i simply said was that he's a good RB. GEESH

I said he was a waste of a 1st rounder. Decent player but offers little that other RB's can't offer

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Guys who are for sure better

Kamara
McCaffery
Elliott
A Jones
Cook
Henry
Mixon
Chubb

The conversation starts around 8.
S.Barkley is obviously better and then last years rookies has to be the strongest class of rookie RB's ever. I say that without going back and looking at each class but if those guys are as good as they were last year and most, if not all, will probably be even better in year two then Monty slides down the list.

I also have A.Ekeler over Monty but that's just me.

C.Akers
J.Robinson--gonna be hard for him to be better cause for some off reason Jax wasted their 1st round pick by drafting Etienne when they should of drafted another position IMO.
J.Taylor
JK Dobbins--he's more of a runner but he can catch passes.
M.Sanders
CEH
D.Swift

Monty is a good starting RB but the league is just loaded up with good/great RB's right now.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
I said he was a waste of a 1st rounder. Decent player but offers little that other RB's can't offer
Yes you did but when did i say i'd spend a 1st round pick on him is what i was wondering? It'd have to be someone real special and the Bears would have to be RB needy for me to spend a 1st round pick on a RB and even then it would have to be a late 1st.