Votes: 10 43.5%
  • 7-8

Votes: 8 34.8%
  • Miss the playoffs

Votes: 3 13.0%

• Total voters

southern_cross_116

Liked Posts:
Prior to last season I had 45 years of an occasional "surprise deep playoff run".

You know what last year actually showed?

Deep playoff runs are a bit like cheesecake posters --- pretty meaningless.

AddisonStation

YamaHama it's fright nite
Donator
Liked Posts:
Prior to last season I had 45 years of an occasional "surprise deep playoff run".

You know what last year actually showed?

Deep playoff runs are a bit like cheesecake posters --- pretty meaningless.

Not really. The longer the run the longer hope lives and as a fan I want that hope to stay alive as long as possible.

southern_cross_116

Liked Posts:
Not really. The longer the run the longer hope lives and as a fan I want that hope to stay alive as long as possible.

God, the owners in town will love you then ;) .... that sort of idealism died during the Bartman inning for me. RIP 2003 :D ).

AddisonStation

Donator
Liked Posts:
God, the owners in town will love you then ;) .... that sort of idealism died during the Bartman inning for me. RIP 2003 :D ).

I don't get it... Whats not to like about your team going far into the playoffs? Ya, I want all of my teams to win the championship every year and am always disappointed when they do not but i don't get sour on them when they come up short.

You're playing with long odds if you call a non-championship season meaningless.

southern_cross_116

Liked Posts:
Under the previous ownership group (and back when only 5 teams missed the playoffs in any given year), it was club policy (or it seemed as if it was club policy) to redeem a crappy season with long playoff run. The team was built in order to compete within the division only, and hope they get lucky once they got out of the division.

Of course, back in those days, you stayed within your division until you reached the semi-finals in the playoffs. So really the team was geared, firstly to compete only within the Norris Division and until 1992 (iirc), they -whenever they reached the conference finals were usually chased out of the playoffs.

They were completely unable to compete within the context of the league as a whole.

Ok, so I mean there are obvious differences, and those being that the current playoff structure wouldn't allow a team to be built for competing only within their division ... however, the mindset that is ok with allowing a team to be built just to reach the playoffs and then hope they get lucky ...

usually you don't, and if you create a team "tradition" around that, and call something less than success, a success - then yeah, I like ice hockey - I am a hockey fan first before I am a hawk fan -and I am only talking about the big difference between building a team that is good enough to reach the playoffs and a team with a shot at winning it.

If you go by the idea that "you have to make the playoffs in order to win in them"- technically that is correct. And it worked for the Kansas City Royals in 1985 I think .... but normally it is like buying a lotto ticket. You end up with a ticket stub, and can use it for a book mark.

Or in other words --- how many World Series have the Florida Marlins won in the past 100 years? How many have the Cubs? How many times have the Cubs made the playoffs? (More than the Marlins I think)...

Which team would you rather have?

And would you want the Blackhawks' to be a version of the Cubs? Why? Personally I'd rather be in it to win it... but I understand where you are coming from; I just don't agree with it anymore. . . too many "get in the playoffs, and see if we get lucky... oh shucks -we just didn't get it done -- wait til next year."

No thanks...

Last edited:

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Or in other words --- how many World Series have the Florida Marlins won in the past 100 years? How many have the Cubs? How many times have the Cubs made the playoffs? (More than the Marlins I think)...

Last 100:
Marlins WS: 2
Cubs WS: 0
Marlins Playoffs: 2 (both Wild Cards)
Cubs Playoffs: 12 (would have been 13 before but 1910 isn't within 100 years now).

But the Marlins were founded in 1993...

AddisonStation

Donator
Liked Posts:
Under the previous ownership group (and back when only 5 teams missed the playoffs in any given year), it was club policy (or it seemed as if it was club policy) to redeem a crappy season with long playoff run. The team was built in order to compete within the division only, and hope they get lucky once they got out of the division.

Of course, back in those days, you stayed within your division until you reached the semi-finals in the playoffs. So really the team was geared, firstly to compete only within the Norris Division and until 1992 (iirc), they -whenever they reached the conference finals were usually chased out of the playoffs.

They were completely unable to compete within the context of the league as a whole.

Ok, so I mean there are obvious differences, and those being that the current playoff structure wouldn't allow a team to be built for competing only within their division ... however, the mindset that is ok with allowing a team to be built just to reach the playoffs and then hope they get lucky ...

usually you don't, and if you create a team "tradition" around that, and call something less than success, a success - then yeah, I like ice hockey - I am a hockey fan first before I am a hawk fan -and I am only talking about the big difference between building a team that is good enough to reach the playoffs and a team with a shot at winning it.

If you go by the idea that "you have to make the playoffs in order to win in them"- technically that is correct. And it worked for the Kansas City Royals in 1985 I think .... but normally it is like buying a lotto ticket. You end up with a ticket stub, and can use it for a book mark.

Which team would you rather have?

And would you want the Blackhawks' to be a version of the Cubs? Why? Personally I'd rather be in it to win it... but I understand where you are coming from; I just don't agree with it anymore. . . too many "get in the playoffs, and see if we get lucky... oh shucks -we just didn't get it done -- wait til next year."

No thanks...

Nah, you still aren't getting where I am coming from... I'll try again. For one, this is the first mention on how well a certain team is built for success... That changes everything...

Last season was phenomenal and I did expect the Hawks to win it all. They were so good that anything less than a cup would have been sickening.

Going into this season I expected them to compete for a top-3 seed and at least easily make the playoffs. Now its becoming urgent. If they get in they are good enough to beat any team any given night... Maybe they could defend the title, probably not. Either way it'll be fun to watch them play in the playoffs.

I do not at all agree with a management philosophy which does not aim for the ultimate prize. However, when a good team gets beat by a better one, tip your cap and move on.

southern_cross_116

Liked Posts:
As one of 3 that voted them missing out... greetz Keith :)

Personally I always want to be wrong - so no skin off my back.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
As one of 3 that voted them missing out... greetz Keith :)

Personally I always want to be wrong - so no skin off my back.

Could be 2nd or 3rd actually... we have 3 games left against Detroit. We are 6 points back.

AE23

from 68th
Donator
Liked Posts:
i see them at 4, they need help to move on up over the sharks, detroit, teams are too good this year