Whispers that the Bears could trade up

Luke

Liked Posts:
yeah, I know but tis the season and Poles is already getting his Red Ryder range model air rifle at #1 so...
Perhaps Poles views Alt as a 10 year franchise LT and won't have another chance like this again.
Maybe after the presumed QB's go 1-4 the cost to move up isn't as insane.

To QB or not to QB …

There appears to be a growing sense around the NFL that QBs could very well go 1-2-3-4 at next month’s draft for the first time ever. There have also been multiple – and sometimes contradictory – rumors as to which team will actually pick which player at which spot.

There have been some whispers in the past few days – actually some rather loud whispers – that no one should be surprised if JJ McCarthy of Michigan ultimately is the second player selected overall by Washington. In particular, while McCarthy likely doesn’t have quite the ceiling of LSU’s Jayden Daniels or Drake Maye of North Carolina, he may in fact be the safest pick of the three.

Meanwhile, there have been rumblings that New England which picks third doesn’t like this guy or that guy and could conceivably trade the pick if the guy they really liked wasn’t still on the board. However, team owner Robert Kraft made it pretty clear in his annual meeting presser that he views the QB position as the team’s greatest need and while he’s leaving the decision to head coach Jerod Mayo and chief scout Eliot Wolf it would seem the only thing that might actually get the Patriots to move down would be a king’s ransom of picks that could very likely have to include multiple future first rounders.

In fact, both Mayo and Wolf, along with 7 other Patriots people were front and center at today’s LSU pro day watching QB Jayden Daniels and they’re all heading over to North Carolina tomorrow for Drake Maye’s workout.

At the same time, it is no secret that Minnesota is angling to get up into the top 4 picks in order to get one of those QBs; however, there are also hints that both Denver and Las Vegas, which pick right after the Vikings at #s 12 and 13, are also exploring avenues to move up and get their franchise QB of the future.

And while it doesn’t relate to the QBs, there are also whispers that Chicago, which presumably gets their QB with the first overall pick this year, might very well be interested in moving up from the 9th pick to get Notre Dame OT John Alt, which would probably mean leapfrogging Tennessee at #7.

Last edited:

DC

Minister of Archaic Titillations
Donator
Liked Posts:
This freaking guy again.

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:
Hes not going to trade up from 9.

Yogi

Liked Posts:
We're unfortunately probably the top target to be leapfrogged in front of due to our lack of ammo to do anything about it. If someone is targeting any of the top 5 non-qbs, they'll be calling TEN and ATL and there's not much we can do except take whoever's left of the 5. And we'll be fine either way.

IBleedBearsBlood

Liked Posts:
MHJ will be nice. Even Nabers. But having one of them won’t win us a Super Bowl alone. We need a full team with decent players. And even that isn’t enough. You’ll need a full team to make more plays that count in the game than the opposing team. Randy Moss & Megatron would agree.

Next year we should be in a better position to attack the very top plays. We can even trade down to snatch one.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
yeah, I know but tis the season and Poles is already getting his Red Ryder range model air rifle at #1 so...
Perhaps Poles views Alt as a 10 year franchise LT and won't have another chance like this again.

To QB or not to QB …

There appears to be a growing sense around the NFL that QBs could very well go 1-2-3-4 at next month’s draft for the first time ever. There have also been multiple – and sometimes contradictory – rumors as to which team will actually pick which player at which spot.

There have been some whispers in the past few days – actually some rather loud whispers – that no one should be surprised if JJ McCarthy of Michigan ultimately is the second player selected overall by Washington. In particular, while McCarthy likely doesn’t have quite the ceiling of LSU’s Jayden Daniels or Drake Maye of North Carolina, he may in fact be the safest pick of the three.

Meanwhile, there have been rumblings that New England which picks third doesn’t like this guy or that guy and could conceivably trade the pick if the guy they really liked wasn’t still on the board. However, team owner Robert Kraft made it pretty clear in his annual meeting presser that he views the QB position as the team’s greatest need and while he’s leaving the decision to head coach Jerod Mayo and chief scout Eliot Wolf it would seem the only thing that might actually get the Patriots to move down would be a king’s ransom of picks that could very likely have to include multiple future first rounders.

In fact, both Mayo and Wolf, along with 7 other Patriots people were front and center at today’s LSU pro day watching QB Jayden Daniels and they’re all heading over to North Carolina tomorrow for Drake Maye’s workout.

At the same time, it is no secret that Minnesota is angling to get up into the top 4 picks in order to get one of those QBs; however, there are also hints that both Denver and Las Vegas, which pick right after the Vikings at #s 12 and 13, are also exploring avenues to move up and get their franchise QB of the future.

And while it doesn’t relate to the QBs, there are also whispers that Chicago, which presumably gets their QB with the first overall pick this year, might very well be interested in moving up from the 9th pick to get Notre Dame OT John Alt, which would probably mean leapfrogging Tennessee at #7.

Where is this from?

Reactions: DC
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Reports like this are cute because they obviously have no idea that the Bears cannot trade up without any draft capital to move up.

Some people just make stuff up.

PhilEBuster

shoopster - Then. Now. Forever.
Donator
Liked Posts:
Pudge gonna trade up and take Caleb and Maye. He’s moving onto 5D chess now . . .

Now that’s a Haul! (TM) . . .

dentfan

No gods! No Masters!
Liked Posts:

To QB or not to QB …

1711591844709.jpeg

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Reports like this are cute because they obviously have no idea that the Bears cannot trade up without any draft capital to move up.

Some people just make stuff up.

The Bears can’t? Says who?

J2hotnspicyy

Liked Posts:
I cannot see a trade up without giving up a future 1st. And I can’t see the Bears doing that. Maybeee next year’s two 2nds.

That said I break down the #9 pick like this - you have to hit. You absolutely have to hit. What pick is least like likely to hit? DE. If they were sure things, those boys would be top 5. And yet even still, a hit doesn’t help your asset at #1 directly. So my attention moves to LT and WR.

Odunze is the top tier talent you want to see there at #9. His ceiling is way up there and solidifies your WR room for YEARS. Meanwhile, you look at LT… Joe Alt could be the best Tackle in recent years. He’s the one you likely need to be at 5 or 6 to grab, and the idea of a trade up seems unlikely. But also he makes that line a steel wall, great for the run game, great for Caleb. In some ways it unlocks Caleb’s potential ceiling to assure he’s not a scrambling mess

But also if you’re at 5 or 6 for Alt, Nabers is probably there too. A potential Jamaar Chase type of your own to unleash hell for years. As fun as that would be though, I look at the Chiefs moving away from Tyreek. I look at Tua with his receivers. Receivers are great assets but also a bit of a luxury. Where as pillars at the tackles gets down to the fundamentals.

And then I ask who might be the Bears second favorite LT if they stay sat at #9, and how high do they value him?

Order of interest: Alt (unlikely trade up), Nabers, Odunze, Bears second LT (if they value one high), trade back/DE. Some order like that I’m starting to value, for the team being built and where we are in development

If the Defense suffered a year without an equal to Sweat on opposite side, so be it. Signing Clowney or something is a sufficient patch. Or even last year we proved a 2nd rd mid-season trade can get you DE talent. If we rely on DJ/Keenan and our TE’s for a year that’s a pretty good option (think of Waldron’s slow integration of JSN last year). But a top 10 LT is an undeniable team upgrade. Don’t want to see that Packers defense pull a week 17 again. Which was Teven getting whooped as well, but yeah. Would love to see the Bears field a top 5-10 offensive line.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I cannot see a trade up without giving up a future 1st. And I can’t see the Bears doing that. Maybeee next year’s two 2nds.

That said I break down the #9 pick like this - you have to hit. You absolutely have to hit. What pick is least like likely to hit? DE. If they were sure things, those boys would be top 5. And yet even still, a hit doesn’t help your asset at #1 directly. So my attention moves to LT and WR.

Odunze is the top tier talent you want to see there at #9. His ceiling is way up there and solidifies your WR room for YEARS. Meanwhile, you look at LT… Joe Alt could be the best Tackle in recent years. He’s the one you likely need to be at 5 or 6 to grab, and the idea of a trade up seems unlikely. But also he makes that line a steel wall, great for the run game, great for Caleb. In some ways it unlocks Caleb’s potential ceiling to assure he’s not a scrambling mess

But also if you’re at 5 or 6 for Alt, Nabers is probably there too. A potential Jamaar Chase type of your own to unleash hell for years. As fun as that would be though, I look at the Chiefs moving away from Tyreek. I look at Tua with his receivers. Receivers are great assets but also a bit of a luxury. Where as pillars at the tackles gets down to the fundamentals.

And then I ask who might be the Bears second favorite LT if they stay sat at #9, and how high do they value him?

Order of interest: Alt (unlikely trade up), Nabers, Odunze, Bears second LT (if they value one high), trade back/DE. Some order like that I’m starting to value, for the team being built and where we are in development

If the Defense suffered a year without an equal to Sweat on opposite side, so be it. Signing Clowney or something is a sufficient patch. If we rely on DJ/Keenan and our TE’s for a year that’s a pretty good option (think of Waldron’s slow integration of JSN last year). But a top 10 LT is an undeniable team upgrade. Don’t want to see that Packers defense pull a week 17 again. Which was Teven getting whooped as well, but yeah

Clowney already signed with Panthers today