White Sox Targeting Rasmus

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Ehh, maybe. Lets not forget that since the departure of Aaron firebelly Rowand, and Ozzie ruining Anderson, KW has seemingly been on the prowl for a "true" CF. Erstad, Swisher, Wise!, Alexei (played CF opening day 2008), and such.

I, for one, was glad when we claimed and received Rios.

It is true, the CF has been an issue. KW did get lucky that rios bunced back, if not i think he may be searching for work right now.

nickofypres

Super Nintendo Chalmers
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Toledo Rockets
It is true, the CF has been an issue. KW did get lucky that rios bunced back, if not i think he may be searching for work right now.

It was a safe bet Rios was going to rebound though. A young guy in his prime just doesn't start becoming shitty (unless HGH/steroid factor)

Lefty

Liked Posts:
yes, common sense sometimes lacks with KW. The rios move I believe was just a block on Detroit and he got stuck, and peavy....at the time seemed ok. but those are guys that have high price tags. this one seems to be one of those steal moves, and if stl is really looking to trade rasmus for a "intense" bad outfielder who likes the dl, you have to do it this instant. It almost seems to good to be true though. im curious to know what the structure of the deal would be or has been discussed.

Yeah it does really sound like it is too good to be true, and if nothing happens over the next few weeks here we will know either if it was just a falsehood or if I have supremely underrated the stupidity of our GM.

And one thing I would offer up (and this is made without any knowledge of what STL actually wants in a trade), is the idea of shipping of Buehrle to the Cards. He loves them, and with Jeff Suppan (bad) and Brad Penny (he had a career-year at age 32, time to cash out) out of their collective hair, the idea adding a solid (maybe they think he is, I don't know, plus he'll be going to the NL, so you could conceivably sell them on seeing an up-tick in production based on the league) left-handed starter in Buehrle for not all that much in return might be enticing. The added advantage of letting Penny go in favor of Buehrle is that he (Buehrle) only has one more year left on his deal--whereas Penny would more than likely command at least a two-year deal--which takes him off the books after the last season of Pujols' deal, conceivably ensuring that the Cards don't have to completely vaporize their budget to re-sign him.

For the Sox, that leaves Floyd, Danks and Jackson cemented in the rotation, with Garcia (I know, I know, but consider his name a filler for "any scrap heap pitcher") and another scrap heap arm in the rotation until Peavy returns. Not the best of rotations, obviously, but not necessarily terrible, either, and hey, who hasn't needed more than their fair share of luck to make it to and through the post-season? Then, the team would be free to pursue virtually any one or two FA's they wanted, hopefully Dunn and V-Mart.

All added up, we'd be looking at about an average rotation (with the potential to be above average with the return of Peavy or returned success Floyd and continued success of Danks and Jackson) with an above average offense, a solid mix that the numbers show puts teams in a better position to make a run at the playoffs. This is opposed to the "OMG!!!" and "please, no" respective approaches to pitching and offense of last year, a mix that doesn't tend to do too well in the hunt for the post-season. Sprinkle in a bit of good fortune here and there, and we could potentially see a quick turnaround in overall performance and finish.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah it does really sound like it is too good to be true, and if nothing happens over the next few weeks here we will know either if it was just a falsehood or if I have supremely underrated the stupidity of our GM.

And one thing I would offer up (and this is made without any knowledge of what STL actually wants in a trade), is the idea of shipping of Buehrle to the Cards. He loves them, and with Jeff Suppan (bad) and Brad Penny (he had a career-year at age 32, time to cash out) out of their collective hair, the idea adding a solid (maybe they think he is, I don't know, plus he'll be going to the NL, so you could conceivably sell them on seeing an up-tick in production based on the league) left-handed starter in Buehrle for not all that much in return might be enticing. The added advantage of letting Penny go in favor of Buehrle is that he (Buehrle) only has one more year left on his deal--whereas Penny would more than likely command at least a two-year deal--which takes him off the books after the last season of Pujols' deal, conceivably ensuring that the Cards don't have to completely vaporize their budget to re-sign him.

For the Sox, that leaves Floyd, Danks and Jackson cemented in the rotation, with Garcia (I know, I know, but consider his name a filler for "any scrap heap pitcher") and another scrap heap arm in the rotation until Peavy returns. Not the best of rotations, obviously, but not necessarily terrible, either, and hey, who hasn't needed more than their fair share of luck to make it to and through the post-season? Then, the team would be free to pursue virtually any one or two FA's they wanted, hopefully Dunn and V-Mart.

All added up, we'd be looking at about an average rotation (with the potential to be above average with the return of Peavy or returned success Floyd and continued success of Danks and Jackson) with an above average offense, a solid mix that the numbers show puts teams in a better position to make a run at the playoffs. This is opposed to the "OMG!!!" and "please, no" respective approaches to pitching and offense of last year, a mix that doesn't tend to do too well in the hunt for the post-season. Sprinkle in a bit of good fortune here and there, and we could potentially see a quick turnaround in overall performance and finish.

That is an Ideal situation, and yes I would flip MB and CQ and get rasmus and whatever else they can throw in. MB would probably fair very well in STL, and he wants to play there and I bet at some point he does finish his career there. Why not do it now, get rid of that salary and start moving on?

as far as the pitching staff, we face the same shit as we did last year....how the hell do we get passed the twins, it seems they can put 5 jon garlands in that rotation and they always dominate us. danks,floyd,jackson, and some fillers would be fine to start the season off, but gavin cannot poop his pants the first 2 months of the season.

vmart and dunn would be so ideal, with rasmus in RF, hell you can just ship MB and keep cq to DH.

BigP50

04-21-2012
Liked Posts:
so is this getting done or what? lol

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
chicago breaking sports news explains the complications on such a deal. the one thing i disagree with is moving rios to RF

icehogfan08

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
OK, here KW plan, he is raising the price on Rasmus, and whatever they get for him, the Cardinals will trade to the WS for Buehrle.

But seriously as my NL team is the Cardinals I like this move for the Sox. I think Rasmus is only going to get better and there have been a few posts in here about him getting benched. I didn't follow much baseball this year, but I am interested in seeing if he got more time after the Ludwick trade.