Who are YOUR Top 10 Prospects?

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
We should probably let nature take its course and see how Vogelbach comes through the ranks. Bryant is the far superior athlete and can handle multiple positions.

If his defense starts to pick-up a little and his bat continues to stay hot, in a few years, CHUNK may just be pushing Rizzo for a spot and they may use Rizzo for trade bait in favor of a cost controlled player.

A lot can happen in that span. Lets just hope he continues to excel rapidly and give the Cubs flexibility to make a move with or without him.

I agree. There is no need to rush him and his value just keeps going up every year. I will say I truly believe his bat will make him a 10 plus year major leaguer. He is just so complete at a young age and his power is going to get bigger. His plate discipline is scary good for his age. That will take you far in today's age

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
To be "objective," here's mlb.com's scouting grades on Vogelbach

Scouting Grades (present/future): Hit: 4/6 | Power: 5/6 | Run: 2/2 | Arm: 4/4 | Field: 4/4 | Overall: 4/5
*Players are graded on a 2-8 scale for both present and future tools. 2-3 is well below average, 4 is below average, 5 is average, 6 is above average and 7-8 is plus.

As for my opinion, I don't see him playing on the cubs in the future. He probably needs to be a DH. I went back to see on Rizzo but that year they didn't give grades. Another site had him at hit: 65, power 65, speed 50, arm 45 and defense 50. They didn't have an overall grade but i think it's safe to say as a top 25 prospect at time he was likely a 6.

That said, there's no reason for the cubs to get rid of him yet. Let him rake in the minors and then use him as trade bait later. If he's fringe top 100(not that unrealistic) he probably will be top 100 next year and him plus other prospects can be used to acquire starting pitching later when they have more of their guys up. I think as a 1B he's an average at best player. However, in a DH role his bat can make him much more valuable.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
To be "objective," here's mlb.com's scouting grades on Vogelbach

Scouting Grades (present/future): Hit: 4/6 | Power: 5/6 | Run: 2/2 | Arm: 4/4 | Field: 4/4 | Overall: 4/5
*Players are graded on a 2-8 scale for both present and future tools. 2-3 is well below average, 4 is below average, 5 is average, 6 is above average and 7-8 is plus.

As for my opinion, I don't see him playing on the cubs in the future. He probably needs to be a DH. I went back to see on Rizzo but that year they didn't give grades. Another site had him at hit: 65, power 65, speed 50, arm 45 and defense 50. They didn't have an overall grade but i think it's safe to say as a top 25 prospect at time he was likely a 6.

That said, there's no reason for the cubs to get rid of him yet. Let him rake in the minors and then use him as trade bait later. If he's fringe top 100(not that unrealistic) he probably will be top 100 next year and him plus other prospects can be used to acquire starting pitching later when they have more of their guys up. I think as a 1B he's an average at best player. However, in a DH role his bat can make him much more valuable.

I've seen him on a higher scale on reports with stick. The defense and arm and speed were about the same. I've seen his power grade higher and his hit. I think he has a plus bat with an average at best defender. Gordon wittenmeyer had a good article on him. He is working hard this off season on getting his body in better shape. McLeod said he is the type of guy who will have to prove himself every year and I love players like that. He is going to have to fight his whole career bc of perception of body type. That is going to keep him hungry. No pun intended

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I've seen him on a higher scale on reports with stick. The defense and arm and speed were about the same. I've seen his power grade higher and his hit. I think he has a plus bat with an average at best defender. Gordon wittenmeyer had a good article on him. He is working hard this off season on getting his body in better shape. McLeod said he is the type of guy who will have to prove himself every year and I love players like that. He is going to have to fight his whole career bc of perception of body type. That is going to keep him hungry. No pun intended

I mean at this point it's kind of silly for anyone to make declarative statements about him. Like I said, let him rake in the minors and maybe the situation changes at the major league level. With that being said, even after Rizzo had a down year Vogelbach's going to need to be like a .300/30+ HR guy for me personally to see a change there. Rizzo's defense wasn't just just average it was plus this year. And Rizzo himself seems to easily be a 25 HR guy. I think a conservative estimate on Rizzo's average would be in the .250-270 range going forward which might be well a low estimate(that scouting report I pulled his numbers from expected him to be a .300 type).

As for Vogelbach being better than that, I think that's unlikely personally. Taveras and Buxton are the top two prospects and both have 6's for hit. Sano is #3 and only has a 7 for power and that's sort of his thing. Lindor at #5 is a 7 hit and Baez is a 6 hit/7 power at #9. In 566 plate appearances in a/a+ Vogelbach hit 19 homers and and around .280. Just as a comparison, in 337 PA's this year Baez hit 17 homers and .274. So, 6's for hit/power seem generous for him. That's not to say he's a bad player but to be a 7 hitter he's going to have .300+ regularly and to be a 7 power hitter you're talking 35+ HR potential. At the moment I'm not sure we've seen enough to suggest either of those are likely.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I mean at this point it's kind of silly for anyone to make declarative statements about him. Like I said, let him rake in the minors and maybe the situation changes at the major league level. With that being said, even after Rizzo had a down year Vogelbach's going to need to be like a .300/30+ HR guy for me personally to see a change there. Rizzo's defense wasn't just just average it was plus this year. And Rizzo himself seems to easily be a 25 HR guy. I think a conservative estimate on Rizzo's average would be in the .250-270 range going forward which might be well a low estimate(that scouting report I pulled his numbers from expected him to be a .300 type).

As for Vogelbach being better than that, I think that's unlikely personally. Taveras and Buxton are the top two prospects and both have 6's for hit. Sano is #3 and only has a 7 for power and that's sort of his thing. Lindor at #5 is a 7 hit and Baez is a 6 hit/7 power at #9. In 566 plate appearances in a/a+ Vogelbach hit 19 homers and and around .280. Just as a comparison, in 337 PA's this year Baez hit 17 homers and .274. So, 6's for hit/power seem generous for him. That's not to say he's a bad player but to be a 7 hitter he's going to have .300+ regularly and to be a 7 power hitter you're talking 35+ HR potential. At the moment I'm not sure we've seen enough to suggest either of those are likely.

He is a prospect. All you can do is speculate like every prospect.

dabears253313

Liked Posts:
Kris Bryant
Javier Baez
Albert Almora
Jorge Soler
CJ Edwards
Kyle Hendricks
Arismendy Alcantara
Pierce Johnson
Josh Vitters
Matt Szczur

CubbyBear2290

Graham Dougie=UNBEATABLE!
Liked Posts:
MIne would probably look something similar to everyone elses, but here it goes;

1. Javy Baez
2. Kris Bryant
3. C.J. Edwards
4. Jorge Soler
5. Albert Almora
6. Arismendy Alcantara
7. Dan Vogelbach
8. Arodys Vizcaino
9. Pierce Johnson
10. Matt Szczur

Other guys I considered were Neil Ramirez and Christian Villanueva, but I know my ranking looks funny. I really have a liking for Vogelbach and think he's valuable as I also think the NL adopts the DH here in the next few seasons, allowing him to thrive.