Who do the Bears sign in 3 hours?

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
I'm confused at these numbers. Are you saying the Bears will give Floyd a new contract that makes it so the Bears are paying him 12M this year instead of 5? And Whitehair 6m instead of 1? Why wouldn't they proceed under their current cheaper framework and just have the new terms come into effect next year? Especially if you think you're gonna push for a Superbowl.
If you know you want to extend the player (Whitehair and/or Floyd) then it's typically cheaper to do so now than to wait. If they wait until next year they are genuine competing against other teams for their market price with an expensive Franchise Tag as a fall back.

Typically if the player wants to be there he's okay with taking a bit less for the security of that next deal.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
Its some sort of Compensatory Pick window that ends today. After the league day ends free agent signings will no longer cancel out comp picks acrued...

Though somebody would have to tell us if they begin to count for next year or this is a free window until next off-season?

There is an expectation that there will be an uptick in signings for the next few days.
I don't even know if Bears currently have any compensatory picks.

Even if it starts counting against next year, I could see team waiting for this date, as coaches should know better than count too much in having a next year.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I'm confused at these numbers. Are you saying the Bears will give Floyd a new contract that makes it so the Bears are paying him 12M this year instead of 5? And Whitehair 6m instead of 1? Why wouldn't they proceed under their current cheaper framework and just have the new terms come into effect next year? Especially if you think you're gonna push for a Superbowl.

Because we are in worse cap shape next season.

You raise their cap numbers and then lower them in future years where you need to extend Jackson, Cohen, Trubisky.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
For Example

Remaining 1 year 5 million
New Money 4/45
5 years 50 million

He would have a reduced cap hit in 20 and 21 when we need him to be cheaper because we eat some of it this season.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
The eagles can sign those bum tight ends and running backs.
We are pretty deep at both positions:

TE: Ertz, Goedert and DickRod (Richard Rodgers)
RB: Howard, Sanders, Clement, Adams, Smallwood

I see both TE and RB as physical positions were the Bears currently lack depth. Those names won't move the needle much, but if there's an injury they will be able to step in with minimal offensive disruption.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
Where are you getting the 12 for this year for Floyd?

12 to 15 is what Floyd would get 2020 with the 5th Yr Option, which is an avg of top salaries, of which isn't set. The ext would null that.

Windy laid out some possible contact year amounts, off the top of my head, I think it was closer to 5 or 6 for the first year, on to 10 for the last.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
If signed between 5:00 EST tonight and the end of the 2019 season it does not count towards the compensatory formula.

If anyone wants to know here's where teams stand.

So what does the above chart tell you is the Bears current compensatory payout?

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
Floyd's cap # is already $5mil. Not too likely it would go up much from that in the first year of a new deal.
That number is for this year

Let’s say he gets a 40 mil 4 year extension. You can structure 10 mil into this year and the next four years will really be 30 mil reducing his hit. It will help with getting Eddie Jackson, Cohen, and the maybes with aj and trubisky in the next few years

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Because we are in worse cap shape next season.

You raise their cap numbers and then lower them in future years where you need to extend Jackson, Cohen, Trubisky.
But then you can't roll over the $ you'd save this year. Pace has never given a contract or extension that was front loaded.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Where are you getting the 12 for this year for Floyd?

12 to 15 is what Floyd would get with the 5th Option, which is an avg of top salaries, of which isn't set. The ext would null that.

Windy laid out some possible contact year amounts, off the top of my head, I think it was closer to 5 or 6 for the first year, on to 10 for the last.

The Bears can make the years worth whatever they want once they extend him. They just need to have it add up to the total.

Floyd makes 5 now, you give him another 7, and then really he is on a 4 year extension worth 38 million for 2020-2023.

Extending guys early allows you to lower their cap hits in the years that you need them low.

You could pay Floyd

1 Trubisky year

If you really wanted to.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
But then you can't roll over the $ you'd save this year. Pace has never given a contract or extension that was front loaded.

He has never been up against the cap.

Also, most of his early extensions raise the players cap hit so it is lower going forward. Last year Goldman went from 1.5 to 4 something and that was when they had limited cap space.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:

You pay him the extra this year so that his cap hit in the following 4 years will be smaller. We are just structuring for him to get his money a year earlier it will help us in the long run.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

Let’s say he gets a 40 mil 4 year extension. You can structure 10 mil into this year and the next four years will really be 30 mil reducing his hit. It will help with getting Eddie Jackson, Cohen, and the maybes with aj and trubisky in the next few years

This is the benefit of extending guys with 1 year left. You essentially have 1 cheap year in which to dump money and make all the years lower.

dennehy

Liked Posts:

Why not make it $5m this year and roll the $5m you saved over into next season? That would be cheaper.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
He has never been up against the cap.

Also, most of his early extensions raise the players cap hit so it is lower going forward. Last year Goldman went from 1.5 to 4 something and that was when they had limited cap space.
I doubt it. My guess is they extend him next year, bring the 2020 number down that way, and do what they've always done, which is load the contract to go up year over year. That way they'd also get to roll over the $7mil they'd save in 2019.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
We are pretty deep at both positions:

TE: Ertz, Goedert and DickRod (Richard Rodgers)
RB: Howard, Sanders, Clement, Adams, Smallwood

I see both TE and RB as physical positions were the Bears currently lack depth. Those names won't move the needle much, but if there's an injury they will be able to step in with minimal offensive disruption.
Just for convo... I don't think the Bears are lacking depth at RB: Monty/Davis/Nall, Cohen/Whyte, Patterson.

They are lacking at TE in receiving, but not physicality. Burton, Sheehan, Braunecker, Raymond can all block.

jtreal3

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Hopfuly the Bucs cut Pierre-Paul and we can sign his broken neck ass to sit the bench!

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I doubt it. My guess is they extend him next year, bring the 2020 number down that way, and do what they've always done, which is load the contract to go up year over year. That way they'd also get to roll over the $7mil they'd save in 2019.

It really does not matter whether you extend him now and pay him more, or roll it forward and pay him another year.

What you lose though is all you leverage.

Right now Floyd might give you a discount because he is going to be making 5 million with no further guarantees and that is a lot of risk for him. He may want to cash a big bonus check this season.

If Floyd makes it to the end of the season he is going to cost more because there is no point in him signing a lower deal because he is either making 14 million on his option or hitting free agency.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
Right, that's what I usually see, the back end of the contract increases, in case the player sucks and they can cut him, or restructure. The first two or three year amounts depend on how much is guaranteed. I would expect Floyd more in the 6 range first years.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
Why not make it $5m this year and roll the $5m you saved over into next season? That would be cheaper.
I’m just giving an example I have no idea what strategy or how much they roll into this year for the sake of future cap hits. It all depends on pace long term plan and who he believes is in it. It’s all flexible just like windy says it just has to add up to the right numbers at the end