Who is our new 'Talent Guy'?

Ton

Liked Posts:
[quote name="5Minutes4Fighting"]

Ton, i have to disagree with some of your comments. First off, the general comment on McD. When he took over he cleaned out the front office that did administrative work, all Dollar Bill loyalists who were clowns that most people wouldn't hire to wash their dishes. He did not clean out the scouting department. Say what you want about McD, and yes he is a cut throat bastard who demands results, but the truth is, nobody is better at marketing. And while it is true that he knows zero about hockey, nonetheless it didn't take him too long to figure out that Tallon/Dudley didnt know too much either. So he went out and got the very best hockey mind alive to run the show. Any complaints about that?

As for Dudley, all you need to about him was the trade made yesterday. Gm's were laughing at Stan when he was demanding a first round pick for Buff and said it would not happen. Dudley gave us a 1st, 2d, and a good prospect. LMFAO. And in return Dudley got a player who only shows up in the playoffs, but Thrashers are not going to the playoffs. Thrash also got some other players who are a dime a dozen.

As for Tallon, what more is there to say. He "built" this team? Yeah right. Big keys Keith and Seabs were 100% Mike Smith draft picks, Toews and Kane were draft picks Tallon got because his plan for to win the Cup (giving overrated UFAs big $$) turned a bad team into the worse team in the NHL. Buff was huge in the playoffs, but he was also a Smith pick. And don't forget it was Tallon who wanted to sign Havlat over Hossa (are you kidding me?). And it was Tallon who drafted (no) Skille when Kopitar was the obvious pick. And Dale hired coaches with no experience like Yawney and Savard. Compare them to Q.

And it was Tallon who gave away players like (to name few off the top of my head) Bourque, Vrbata and Craig Anderson -- which makes trading for players like Sharp and Steeger a wash. And it was Tallon who gave Campbell that asinine contract when anybody who knew how to evaluate hockey talent knew that the nucleus of Keith, Seabs, Kane and Toews would be a dynasty with the right support players and cap management. But Dale could not see that.

Dale is a great guy and his heart is shaped like the Indianhead, but if your longing for the days when Dale and Dudley oversaw the draft and amateur scouting, IMHO, we are MUCH MUCH better off now.

-5Minutes

P.S. yes Ron, I know you disagree. You have a whole thread devoted to Dale which i chose not to post in, as i thought i would leave it as a love for Dale thread for his devoted fans. Your opinion is well known, and telling me who wrong i am in an offensive way is not really necessary. Gracias :)[/quote]

Well. I don't know where to start... but I'll give it a shot.

Keith and Seabs = Smith picks? Really? Keith himself stated in an interview that Tallon was the one doing all the interviewing before the draft and he believes that Tallon was the one who pushed for him. Seabs is a similar story.

As for Scotty, what does he have to do with this Stanley Cup winning team? I can care less about him right now.

Tallon brought us Toews, Kane, Bolland, Brouwer, Bickell, Byfuglien, Hjalmarsson, Ladd, Sharp, Versteeg, Campbell, Niemi... and Keith and Seabrook (both have stated that they were highly coveted by TALLON not SMITH)... thats only off the top of my head but there is more probably... most of those guys were taken in the draft, which you basically backhand Dale for his biggest accomplishments -- Kane and Toews, it was highly debated that Tallon should take Kessel, Backstrom, Turris over those guys... neither were Ovechkin or Malkin in their draft year so Dale COULD have screwed up. Imagine if he had taken Kessel and Turris -- NO chance we would be where we are today.

If you believe Bowman was the one who brought in Hossa and co, then you should believe that McDonough was the one who wanted Huet (and Campbell, for the "big splash" although I think Campbell is a good signing).

Dale was practically on an internship after Smith was fired (if not a little bit before Smith was fired, when he was Director of Hockey Ops)... the entire time Pulford was GM Tallon was the one that was being prepared for the job and was directly responsible for things such as the draft.

If you haven't read this then read it, it basically states my entire opinion of Tallon so I'm not going to repeat myself.

About Bourque, Vrbata, and Anderson... I can only laugh at that. Vrbata is a perimeter player that does not fit with the Hawks, Bourque had too many injury problems as well as inconsistency problems (playing with Iginla doesn't hurt) and Anderson -- well I always liked the guy so I can't really bash him but he bounced around plenty through the NHL so Tallon was not the only one to fuck up there.

No GM is perfect, but Tallon gave us a CUP WINNER in Chicago, how you can completely ignore the accomplishments that man has done for the city of Chicago is pretty unbelievable.

McDonough is a guy I never really had a problem with, I think his marketing skills are elite, no doubt... in fact I think he should market for the NHL... but the President of a club? Not sure he belongs in that role. Lets be honest, he has no business firing people in hockey operations when he doesn't have a clue about the game himself.

Dale is a top notch talent evaluator in the NHL, don't discredit his accomplishments just because he isn't here anymore.

I have full confidence in Bowman, but with Dale here, we would have the best front office in the NHL by a long shot. Dudley works himself in there too, but I wouldn't say hes as special as Dale -- it didn't hurt me as much to see him leave. Dale, on the other hand, was such an integral part of this team its not even debatable.

Tell me one thing, you feel more confident in Al MacIssac and Kevin Cheveldayoff (I actually like that addition but thats besides the point) than Dale Tallon and Rick Dudley? I sure don't. Although it might be a good front office, it is not as great as it use to be.

As much as I like Stan, our front office was stacked and now the only cup that says "AWESOME" on it is Stans when in the past there another two that filled the cupboard.

roshinaya

fnord
Donator
Liked Posts:
I know Dudley and Tallon had the last say in who was drafted, but weren't they working from the information supplied by the numerous Hawks scout around the worlds league? I imagine they are still left and will be feeding the new braintrust the information.

We wont know how well this draft turns out to be until a couple of years in the future.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
[quote name="R K"]

Don't forget MacIssac brought you Ebbet too. Woo hooo

I have no real grudge against Stan other than I think he stabbed Dale in the back to some extent. If he can do the job then that benefits us all no matter how he arrived there. His first trade looks to be very good for the Hawks.

I also liked the move for Boynton near the end of the TDL and he proved to be useful in the finals with Hendry being banged up.

Stans jury will be out for awhile, as will Tallons future drafts. IE Lalonde, Beach, Carlsson, Ohlson.....[/quote]

His first trade? You mean of the offseason? Or the one that dumped Fallon, and Barker for a concussion? Or the one that brought back perennial fan favorite Danny Richmond? If you do mean this last trade, I was under the impression from reading the other thread that it had dudley written all over it not stan. Especially because of the Akim Aliu inclusion.

jakobeast

Liked Posts:
[quote name="R K"]

It's a little foggy but I remember him completely getting his ass whomped on at the UC during game #4. But again I'm old maybe he was pulled and put back in again.

Jako Versteeg came from Bochenski.

Sharp came from Ellison.[/quote]

Holy fuck, I am a moron. I had a stupid pill overdose. My bad.

for some reason I get Meloche and Ellison mixed up.

thanks for the fix.

[quote name="MassHavoc"]

His first trade? You mean of the offseason? Or the one that dumped Fallon, and Barker for a concussion? Or the one that brought back perennial fan favorite Danny Richmond? If you do mean this last trade, I was under the impression from reading the other thread that it had dudley written all over it not stan. Especially because of the Akim Aliu inclusion.[/quote]

Well First trade of value. Barker was a clear salary dump. Had to happen. They had no idea Johnsson would get a career ending concussion. As for the two other trades, those were minor league deals.

I believe Dudley and Tallon did a LOT of their own scouting. I know Niemi and Hjarlmarsson Tallon actually did scout.

Either way to dismiss Tallon, like has been done here, by someone who actually has season tickets and "supposedly" knows what he's talking about is beyond fucking foolish. Mistakes or not.

Nice post Tony. I don't agree with quite all of it but most points you are dead on. Although it won't help you can't teach the ignorant.

[quote name="roshinaya"]I know Dudley and Tallon had the last say in who was drafted, but weren't they working from the information supplied by the numerous Hawks scout around the worlds league? I imagine they are still left and will be feeding the new braintrust the information.

We wont know how well this draft turns out to be until a couple of years in the future.[/quote]

I'm pretty sure at least two scouts bolted. Fanof19 would be able to confirm that. They also hired Lapointe and Steve Smith.

Rdrhwke

Liked Posts:
[quote name="Stu Grimson"]Personally, I think we should trade Sharp + 2nd for LeBron James.[/quote]

Always the voice of reason.

fanof19

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
[quote name="R K"]

I'm pretty sure at least two scouts bolted. Fanof19 would be able to confirm that. They also hired Lapointe and Steve Smith.[/quote]

yep to bolded statement, and Steve Smith was a Tallon hire before he was re-assigned.

Larmer83

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
[quote name="Ton"]

McDonough is a guy I never really had a problem with, I think his marketing skills are elite, no doubt... in fact I think he should market for the NHL... but the President of a club? Not sure he belongs in that role. Lets be honest, he has no business firing people in hockey operations when he doesn't have a clue about the game himself.

Dale is a top notch talent evaluator in the NHL, don't discredit his accomplishments just because he isn't here anymore.

[/quote]

Keeping simple, when it comes to evaluating hockey talent evaluators...

Bill Torrey > John McDonough

McDonough fires Tallon, Torrey hires Tallon.

[quote name="Larmer83"]

Keeping simple, when it comes to evaluating hockey talent evaluators...

Bill Torrey > John McDonough

McDonough fires Tallon, Torrey hires Tallon.[/quote]

It's ironic how Tallon is bashed over and over again from "novice" and sometimes ignorant fans, yet amongst his peers he's highly regarded.

No one is perfect and each make mistakes but his STAMP on our STANLEY CUP is un deniable.

I wonder in a meeting of GM's what reception Mcdonough would recieve vs Tallon. Wait, I already know.

Maiden

Liked Posts:
[quote name="R K"]

It's ironic how Tallon is bashed over and over again from "novice" and sometimes ignorant fans, yet amongst his peers he's highly regarded.

No one is perfect and each make mistakes but his STAMP on our STANLEY CUP is un deniable.

I wonder in a meeting of GM's what reception Mcdonough would recieve vs Tallon. Wait, I already know.[/quote]

Listen to national radio and you will hear all you need to know about how people in the know feel about who actually built this club and who jumped on the wagon once the wagon was moving. With that said I am pulling for Scooter to continue to keep this team at a high level for years to come. I'm also rooting for Dale and Dudley in their new postitions as well.

[quote name="Maiden"]

Listen to national radio and you will hear all you need to know about how people in the know feel about who actually built this club and who jumped on the wagon once the wagon was moving. With that said I am pulling for Scooter to continue to keep this team at a high level for years to come. I'm also rooting for Dale and Dudley in their new postitions as well.[/quote]

I'm right there with you. I hope Stan is extremely successful. I will also now have more interest in both the Thrashers and Panthers.

I guess some of our fellow STH's just don't pay attention to what they are watching on the ice or just decide to think their rationale is right and the people who actually make a living off of it are wrong.

Dumb, dumber, dumb ass.

whalerhawk

Liked Posts:
This thread is all very interesting, but nobody has actually answered my original question.

Who is really the driving force behind tonight's picks? I know Bowman has the final say, but often the GM serves as just the tiebreaker if the scouting staff is torn between two players. So who's making the call tonight? Dumas? MacIssac? Someone else?

[quote name="whalerhawk"]This thread is all very interesting, but nobody has actually answered my original question.

Who is really the driving force behind tonight's picks? I know Bowman has the final say, but often the GM serves as just the tiebreaker if the scouting staff is torn between two players. So who's making the call tonight? Dumas? MacIssac? Someone else?[/quote]

I would say the Primary guys are

Stan Bowman General Manager

Kevin Cheveldayoff Assistant General Manager

Al MacIsaac Senior Director, Hockey Administration Asst. to the President

Scotty Bowman

Then you have

Marc Bergevin

Norm Maciver Director, Player Development

Mark Kelley Director, Amateur Scouting

Ron Anderson Director, Player Recruitment

Michel Dumas

Then you have putting input on which players--

Ian Gentile Scouting Coordinator

Mike Doneghey

Bruce Franklin

Tim Keon

Darrell May

Peter Nevin

Jad Ramsay

Ryan Stewart Amateur Scouts

Niklas Blomgren Head European Amateur Scout

Karl Pavlik

Ruslan Shabanov European Amateur Scouts

Dennis Bonvie

Gord Donnelly

Martin Lapointe

Steve Smith Pro Scouts

Mats Hallin

Some of those are the same names that were here, some are newer.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
[quote name="R K"]

I would say the Primary guys are

Stan Bowman General Manager

Kevin Cheveldayoff Assistant General Manager

Al MacIsaac Senior Director, Hockey Administration Asst. to the President

Scotty Bowman

Then you have

Marc Bergevin

Norm Maciver Director, Player Development

Mark Kelley Director, Amateur Scouting

Ron Anderson Director, Player Recruitment

Michel Dumas

Then you have putting input on which players--

Ian Gentile Scouting Coordinator

Mike Doneghey

Bruce Franklin

Tim Keon

Darrell May

Peter Nevin

Jad Ramsay

Ryan Stewart Amateur Scouts

Niklas Blomgren Head European Amateur Scout

Karl Pavlik

Ruslan Shabanov European Amateur Scouts

Dennis Bonvie

Gord Donnelly

Martin Lapointe

Steve Smith Pro Scouts

Mats Hallin

Some of those are the same names that were here, some are newer.[/quote]

I respect this list, except for the fact that if Huet really was a splash, then none of those names mean anythign as they can be trumped at any time.

PatrickShart

Liked Posts:
I think Mark Kelley is a pretty good scout, isnt he? I think he had quite a bit to do with PITT

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
[quote name="R K"]Huet was UFA. Completely different scenario than drafting talent.[/quote]

I didn't realize that you didn't have to evaluate the talent of free agent you sign. My bad.

Razzberry

Liked Posts:
[quote name="MassHavoc"]

I didn't realize that you didn't have to evaluate the talent of free agent you sign. My bad.[/quote]

In context that made perfect sense. You can't really make a "marketing splash" with a draft pick (trading for the 1st overall pick is the closest you can get).

Ton

Liked Posts:
Not sure, getting both Hayes brothers sure seems like a splash to me -- intentional or not.