Who Stays, Who Goes?

Granada

Liked Posts:
The easy answer of course is, "everyone gone," but that's also a boring an unrealistic answer. I'm not opposed to trading the grand majority of players at this point, but even if you want to move "everyone," you probably can't (for one reason or another), so realistically what is your list?

I tried to blend who I would want to see gone and who I think will be gone or kept. Disclaimer: with the exception of Debrincat and Hagel, I'm not against trading anyone in the "stays" list, if the package is right and makes sense, and that includes Kane.

Stays because they honestly deserve to:
Debrincat
Hagel
(yes, that's it, sadly)

Stays because they'll be hard/impossible to move and/or without taking horrible salary:
Jones

Stays because their skills are severely diminished and their salary is a non-starter for trade partners (unless they retire):
Toews

Stays because the new coach/GM will want at least a couple vets on the team:
Murphy (cheap, somewhat stands up for team mates)
Kane (maybe)

Stays because you want to give him at least one more year to prove himself, who still has somewhat of an upside, and who will be affordable:
Dach (unless Borgstrom continues to supersede him the remainder of the season, which may make Dach expendable)
Lankinen (but only as a backup)
Kurashev

Rockford players who'll stay because they still have some promise (and I'm being generous here):
Reichel
Beaudin
Entwistle
Borgstrom
Colton Dach
Hardman
Barrett
Kalynuk
Caleb Jones

That's it for the "stays" camp. 9 players on the big club,9 in Rockford that have some promise, if any. I almost didn't include Lankinen and Kurashev.

Gone because they suck:
Stillman
Nylander
De Haan
Gus
McCabe
(in that order)

Gone because they don't make sense on a rebuilding team:
Tyler Johnson
MAF

Gone because they're a dime a dozen:
Carpenter
Khaira

Gone because they had one good year and teams may want to take a chance on him:
Kubalik (yeah I said it)
Strome (zero heart)

That's it for the "gone" camp (at least 11 players)

Last edited:

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I agree with almost all of it, except Stillman is still young and I think deserves more time.
Gus should have been gone for good 3 years ago.

Granada

Liked Posts:
I agree with almost all of it, except Stillman is still young and I think deserves more time.
I really wanted to like Stillman, but I remember saying he was acquired because he's a poor-man's Zadorov. I still feel like that's accurate, at least from what I've seen. I wouldn't be completely surprised if he's back, but I wouldn't mind if he's jettisoned either.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The easy answer of course is, "everyone gone," but that's also a boring an unrealistic answer. I'm not opposed to trading the grand majority of players at this point, but even if you want to move "everyone," you probably can't (for one reason or another), so realistically what is your list?

I tried to blend who I would want to see gone and who I think will be gone or kept. Disclaimer: with the exception of Debrincat and Hagel, I'm not against trading anyone in the "stays" list, if the package is right and makes sense, and that includes Kane.

Debrincat
Hagel
(yes, that's it, sadly)

Stays because they'll be hard/impossible to move and/or without taking horrible salary:
Jones

Stays because their skills are severely diminished and their salary is a non-starter for trade partners (unless they retire):
Toews

Kane (maybe)

Stays because you want to give him at least one more year to prove himself, who still has somewhat of an upside, and who will be affordable:
Dach (unless Borgstrom continues to supersede him the remainder of the season, which may make Dach expendable)
Kurashev

Rockford players who'll stay because they still have some promise (and I'm being generous here):
Reichel
Beaudin
Entwistle
Borgstrom
Colton Dach
Hardman
Barrett
Kalynuk
Caleb Jones

That's it for the "stays" camp. 9 players on the big club,9 in Rockford that have some promise, if any. I almost didn't include Lankinen and Kurashev.

Gone because they suck:
Stillman
Nylander
De Haan
Gus
McCabe
(in that order)

Tyler Johnson
MAF

Carpenter
Khaira

Kubalik (yeah I said it)
Strome (zero heart)

Well thought out assessment that I agree with for the most part but I think you have to break it down into who has any value when trying to move most of Bowman's clusterfuck.

I'll add Jones to the keep list as while I wasn't in love with the move at first, he is better than I expected him to be plus with his contract in the mix he's not just good enough to draw equal value. I'll also add Kubalik as this team is so damn short of guys who can close out a play.....at least with him we know that he is capable of closing as he' s done it before.
Toews you have to keep because all he is now is Carpenter with a $10 mill price tag....no one touching that.

They gotta move Kaner now or asap.....he just looks disinterested. His hockey speak aside, he knows a winner when he sees one and he ain't seeing one in Chicago. His value is nose diving, they gotta get something while they can. MAF could be moved to a Cup contender as soon as the annual pre playoff injuries hit. Not sure what else they have that would draw much attention.

I would really like to know why with 4 or 5 substandard defensemen the best looking young dman in the preseason can't break into this lineup. I'm talking about Kalynuk. He should be up and he should the QB on this deadass PP.

Bowman left a mess that even Ryan Pace can't match.....it's gonna take awhile to clean it up.

Granada

Liked Posts:
Well thought out assessment that I agree with for the most part but I think you have to break it down into who has any value when trying to move most of Bowman's clusterfuck.

I'll add Jones to the keep list as while I wasn't in love with the move at first, he is better than I expected him to be plus with his contract in the mix he's not just good enough to draw equal value. I'll also add Kubalik as this team is so damn short of guys who can close out a play.....at least with him we know that he is capable of closing as he' s done it before.
Toews you have to keep because all he is now is Carpenter with a $10 mill price tag....no one touching that.

They gotta move Kaner now or asap.....he just looks disinterested. His hockey speak aside, he knows a winner when he sees one and he ain't seeing one in Chicago. His value is nose diving, they gotta get something while they can. MAF could be moved to a Cup contender as soon as the annual pre playoff injuries hit. Not sure what else they have that would draw much attention.

I would really like to know why with 4 or 5 substandard defensemen the best looking young dman in the preseason can't break into this lineup. I'm talking about Kalynuk. He should be up and he should the QB on this deadass PP.

Bowman left a mess that even Ryan Pace can't match.....it's gonna take awhile to clean it up.
Kane definitely has the most value right now. I would be fine with trading him, but I'd want at least a first round pick and the trader's best prospect at least -- anything that's offered below that, I am not trading him. I'm sorta worried that teams will try to lowball their offers for him, and if that's the case, I'm just keeping him if I'm GM. In addition to the two stipulations, I'd want an NHL ready player in the package too, but that's ideally.

MAF should be easy to move at the deadline. I'm not sure what haul you will get for him though, but anything is better than nothing, considering he will not be re-signed after this season and is UFA.

I'll admit, compared to his other off-seasons, I liked a decent amount of Bowman's moves this year, but in the end, it just turned out to be more of the same. McCabe, Stillman -- they're on par with acquisitions like De Haan and Murphy, i.e. not good. I'm still glad we got Jones and I do like MAF for a year. I was really expecting a lot from Johnson, but of course he got hurt and before he went down, he looked blah, so I'll give Stan an "incomplete" grade there.

But yeah, I agree, this is just another horrific Stan Bowman shit-show of a season filled with terrible acquisitions. Colliton was a problem, but Stan was an even worse problem.

hawkinmontreal

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Oakland Athletics
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Duke Blue Devils

Debrincat
Hagel
(yes, that's it, sadly)

Jones

Toews

Kane (maybe)

Kurashev

Reichel
Beaudin
Entwistle
Borgstrom
Colton Dach
Hardman
Barrett
Kalynuk
Caleb Jones

Gone because they suck:
Stillman
Nylander
De Haan
Gus
McCabe
(in that order)

Tyler Johnson
MAF

Carpenter
Khaira

Kubalik (yeah I said it)
Strome (zero heart)

Well buddy, besides Dcat, anyone and everyone is expendable. This poor excuse for a on again of again rebuild is finally here. This team is just awful, from top to bottom, start tearing down the bricks and start building properly, starting with a new GM and coach, followed by trading Kane for assets this team can build around. Colorado and the Rangers are possibly a Pat Kane away from winning the cup, dangle Kaner to Colorado for Bowen , the Avs have a ton of assets that losing a defencemen such as him won’t even dent there armour, and or try to pull away some of the Rangers younger studs with a Possible first rounder. Let this current team sink to the bottom of the league for another chance at a first rounder(Seth Jones first round pick will come into affect this year or next, might as well try to score the first or second this year).
Trade Toews for assests and eat half his salary for the remainder of his contract. I am good with seeing Kubalik gone, DeHaan gone, Gus gone, Strome gone, even Murphy gone. Remove the waste and build around Dcat, Jones and Hagel.

JimAKABlkhwks918

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

Debrincat
Hagel
(yes, that's it, sadly)

Jones

Toews

Kane (maybe)

Kurashev

Reichel
Beaudin
Entwistle
Borgstrom
Colton Dach
Hardman
Barrett
Kalynuk
Caleb Jones

Gone because they suck:
Stillman
Nylander
De Haan
Gus
McCabe
(in that order)

Tyler Johnson
MAF

Carpenter
Khaira

Kubalik (yeah I said it)
Strome (zero heart)

I agree fully with your list and the reasoning except Murphy...he's on my gone because he sucks list fo sho.

Bigfoot

CCS Enforcer
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I finally made it to the trade deadline in NHL 22, and was so happy to be rid of Gus. I will say EA got him right in the game, dude is atrocious in the d-zone

Granada

Liked Posts:
Well buddy, besides Dcat, anyone and everyone is expendable. This poor excuse for a on again of again rebuild is finally here. This team is just awful, from top to bottom, start tearing down the bricks and start building properly, starting with a new GM and coach, followed by trading Kane for assets this team can build around. Colorado and the Rangers are possibly a Pat Kane away from winning the cup, dangle Kaner to Colorado for Bowen , the Avs have a ton of assets that losing a defencemen such as him won’t even dent there armour, and or try to pull away some of the Rangers younger studs with a Possible first rounder. Let this current team sink to the bottom of the league for another chance at a first rounder(Seth Jones first round pick will come into affect this year or next, might as well try to score the first or second this year).
Trade Toews for assests and eat half his salary for the remainder of his contract. I am good with seeing Kubalik gone, DeHaan gone, Gus gone, Strome gone, even Murphy gone. Remove the waste and build around Dcat, Jones and Hagel.
Yeah HIM, it's hard for me to disagree with any of that. How ironic would it be to trade Kane for Byram? I wouldn't necessarily be against it and it isn't far-fetched on paper. It is an in-division trade, but maybe Colorado does it for a Cup. Overall, I doubt it would happen, but I wouldn't oppose it. I completely agree to build around Debrincat, Jones, and Hagel, and scratch everything else.

Bigfoot

CCS Enforcer
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
The new core that should be built around is
Cat
Jones
Kubalik
Dach
Hagel

Supporting cast

Borgstrom
Kurashev
Stillman
Murphy

Kane and Toews we are stuck with until their contracts are up. We have some prospects, but outside of Reichel how many are high end building blocks. There are some interesting d-man prospects but they are still a few years away.

If the organization did not have that hoser as GM maybe some of those one sided trades would not have put us into this rudderless boat with no destination in sight.

Granada

Liked Posts:
The new core that should be built around is
Cat
Jones
Kubalik
Dach
Hagel

Supporting cast

Borgstrom
Kurashev
Stillman
Murphy

Kane and Toews we are stuck with until their contracts are up. We have some prospects, but outside of Reichel how many are high end building blocks. There are some interesting d-man prospects but they are still a few years away.

If the organization did not have that hoser as GM maybe some of those one sided trades would not have put us into this rudderless boat with no destination in sight.
I agree with this, but I would still move Kubalik. I think he has the most value right now. I also think the 30 goal season was a fluke, and I don't believe he will be a regular 30-per-year guy. Could be wrong, but that's me.

Bigfoot

CCS Enforcer
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I agree with this, but I would still move Kubalik. I think he has the most value right now. I also think the 30 goal season was a fluke, and I don't believe he will be a regular 30-per-year guy. Could be wrong, but that's me.
I would move him if the price is right. Kubalik needs someone to feed him the puck and let him be the triggerman. He is one of those tweezers were he could be core or he could be a supporting cast.

Last edited:

blackpep72

Liked Posts:
I finally made it to the trade deadline in NHL 22, and was so happy to be rid of Gus. I will say EA got him right in the game, dude is atrocious in the d-zone
And yet he is +1 after 30 games.

Granada

Liked Posts:
I would move him if the price is right. Kubalik needs someone to feed him the puck and let him be the triggerman. He is one of those tweezers were he could be core or he could be a supporting cast.
True. I think he's a player who's good on a stacked team, but he can't carry a line himself. Of course, If memory serves I might have said the same thing about Panarin, so what the hell do I know, lol

KBIB

Would like my account deleted
Liked Posts:
Well, here’s the problem;

Toews and Kane could get returns, one meh, one good, but I think the Hawks only have one retention slot available. I don’t think any Cup chasing team is going to want to dramatically change their dressing room by getting Toews unless they’re a leader away from winning the Cup. He should have been traded at the beginning of the year and nobody was going to want him at that time. We don’t know if he has being captain written into his contract or not. I could see Vegas wanting him easily, or the Av’s, but the cost of tram chemistry? I really don’t know.

Kane at half retention would get a huge return. We all know this but Kane controls his own destiny. The only team he would consider would be the Rangers outside of Buffalo, but why would they sell off one of their high end prospects for Kane? Hell, with the stunted development of Laff I would ask for him if I was the GM straight up. I just don’t think this GM we have has the balls to trade away either and is clipped by the owner who knows both of them still puts asses in seats.

Dach I’d listen on. He’s going to be a top end second line center. He’s not going to be a first line guy. There were a bunch of clowns on a different forum who said Dach was better then Hughes. Jack has eight points in his last three games and has broken out, Dach is just Dach. You look at Byram, Seider, and Zegras and you scratch your head why they took Dach over two first pairing guys and a first line player.

Kubi I’d really try and keep. I hate to compare players but his shot and release looks like Ovies. He needs a center who can feed him the puck and I wonder why he hasn’t played with Dach. You honestly could get a late first for the guy because he’s cheap.

Everyone else outside of Cat, can go. If somebody offers you the moon on Cat I’d think about it too. The only player I wouldn’t trade is Jones and that because his contract is so huge nobody would trade for it, but if you were a GM offering 50% retention on it a bevy of teams would be interested but your shitting on your cap for how many years.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

If Kane wants out, all he's gotta do is ask, otherwise he's going nowhere.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
They're still working with an interim GM/Coach and skeleton front office. Untill that is sorted and people with a vision are installed I don't want to think about who goes. It's likely we have a couple of players who will pan out but are just a casualty of a piss poor organization right now. I'm willing to wait on almost everyone until that happens. Playing fantasy hockey was how Stan got us here.