Who was a better prospect coming out of college? Mitch or Justin?

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:

They were both born in 1999 and grew up mere miles apart. They were endlessly compared to each other in high school and twice faced off on college football’s biggest stage. Now, they’ve become two of the most coveted quarterback prospects in the 2021 NFL draft.

The 247Sports composite recruiting rankings listed Lawrence and Fields as the top two players in the 2018 high school class; Lawrence had a rating of 0.9999, and Fields had a rating of 0.9998. (247 later commissioned an oral history of its own decision to rank Lawrence slightly ahead of Fields, which gets into the nitty-gritty of each player’s peaks and valleys in high school, and includes Georgia recruiting analyst Rusty Mansell saying, “I’m going to be talking about Justin Fields and Trevor Lawrence for as long as I’m standing up.”) To this day, Lawrence and Fields are 247’s second- and third-highest-rated quarterback recruits of the modern era, behind only Vince Young and his perfect 1.0000 rating in 2002.

No fucking comparison to Trubs
This is an interesting nugget that I found from the article (not Bears related, but interesting).

Lawrence heavily considered going to Georgia. As a sophomore in high school, he attended the 2015 “Dawg Night” and reportedly outperformed Jacob Eason, a five-star prospect in the 2016 class. But then-Georgia offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer royally screwed things up. He opted to schmooze with Eason—who’d already committed to Georgia—and let Lawrence wait in line to talk to him for almost an hour. The school was apparently set to offer Lawrence a scholarship that night, but Lawrence left empty-handed. “That was it for Trevor,” an anonymous source told Georgia fan site Dawg Post. “He was not going to go to Georgia after that.”

Former Georgia head coach Mark Richt reportedly called Lawrence the following day in an attempt to rectify the mistake, but the snub at the camp was “a confusing move for the rising sophomore to understand,” according to a 247Sports post about the eventual offer. Meanwhile, Clemson jumped in and prioritized Lawrence’s recruitment, building too big an advantage for Georgia to overcome. (This relatively minor recruiting faux pas is notable because Schottenheimer is now the offensive coordinator of the Jacksonville Jaguars, Lawrence’s presumptive new team.)

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
Mitch Trubisky and Justin Fields are perfect examples of why all the pre-draft shit can be fucking garbage.

Trubisky needed lots of time to develop. But people got so caught up in his "upside" that he suddenly started to move up everyone's draft board. He had no business being drafted by the Bears at #2 and handed to Fox and Loggains, then being asked to start in game 5 of his rookie season because Glennon was a complete trainwreck.

Justin Fields had no business falling to #11 and being the 4th QB taken in this draft. It still blows my mind that we were in a position to go up and get him. We had built up a lot of QB karma, so whatever. But you could make a case for Fields going #1 overall. Thank fuck for the Dan Orlovskys and other talking heads of the world that suddenly started to make him trend downward.

In my opinion, in a few years, people will look back on this draft and say that 11 teams made a huge mistake not drafting Justin Fields.
And I kind of called it in some who-should-we-draft post. I said I wanted the Bears to draft someone who, some years in the future, someone would make a youtube video about the # players drafted before the player that the Bears picked.

So I hope that the video titled "the 10 players chosen before Justin Fields" will actually happen.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
49ers are going to be the laughing stocks of this draft imo.
It may turn out that they should be, but Lynch gets a free pass for mistakes, and way too much praise for anything he does well.

Midwaymonster75

Liked Posts:

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Mitch Trubisky and Justin Fields are perfect examples of why all the pre-draft shit can be fucking garbage.

Trubisky needed lots of time to develop. But people got so caught up in his "upside" that he suddenly started to move up everyone's draft board. He had no business being drafted by the Bears at #2 and handed to Fox and Loggains, then being asked to start in game 5 of his rookie season because Glennon was a complete trainwreck.

Justin Fields had no business falling to #11 and being the 4th QB taken in this draft. It still blows my mind that we were in a position to go up and get him. We had built up a lot of QB karma, so whatever. But you could make a case for Fields going #1 overall. Thank fuck for the Dan Orlovskys and other talking heads of the world that suddenly started to make him trend downward.

In my opinion, in a few years, people will look back on this draft and say that 11 teams made a huge mistake not drafting Justin Fields.
And yet, Lance got picked before Fields by the QB guru, just like Mitch before more accomplished prospects. If anything, the way this and that draft fell have proven the predraft hype correct. Head scratching for me that Fields wasn't the 49ers' pick but he was the least projected at #3.

What this proves is that projecting QBs is difficult. With that in mind, you'd think teams would put a premium on the body of work and skill set that Fields possesses but for some reason there's still a lot of 'smartest person in the room' syndrome in front offices.

Liked Posts:
49ers are going to be the laughing stocks of this draft imo.

Weird because the Iueyedoc pointed out that he hoped that this years eleventh pick could hopefully be 2017s tenth pick.

Which then in San Franciscos case would make our number two pick from 2017 intp San Franciscos current number 3 pick that they also traded up for.

Were getting into some real Davinci Code bullshit here.

Collins77

Liked Posts:
Draft analyst make me wonder if they watch tape. I watched a 1 hour video on every throw Feilds made and I was blown away. I honestly believe he will be the best QB out of this draft. I never, ever felt that way about the turd. In fact, I haven't been to a Bears game since we drafted Trubisky. Feilds has that Jordan/Kobe type drive. Mitch, on the other hand I would like to date my daughter, but as far as football....he could be a scout team QB or tackling dummy. No comparison, not even close.

jive

Liked Posts:
Who is the better prospect?!?! Really?!?!

I was going to write a long list of things that Justin Fields did and had that made him a better prospect than Trubisky. Instead, I can sum it all up by saying that there is NOTHING that Trubisky did in college that would have made him a better prospect.