Who we gonna TAG this off-season?

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I think the tag will be Cutler, unless they work out a long term deal -- and if they do, it'll be Gould.

Why would you tag Gould? He could play another 7 years and it would be much cheaper to extend him.

Bear Pride

Bears Gonna Shock the World!
Liked Posts:
I was thinking about the Tillman/Jennings conundrum.

I want BOTH back.

Not realistic?

Then I thought...ooh that handy dandy TAG!

But which gets it?

I would re-sign Tillman first because well..the team owes him that much.

Tag TJ. Yeah he's ticked for a year, but then gets the deal the following year.

Thoughts?

I was thinking we should tag your ass with a one way ticket outa here! Don't care where!

:gtfo:

Briggs is GOAT

Liked Posts:
They don't owe him a thing (and he's one of my two favorite players). He's been paid millions of dollars for his excellent play. Giving out loyal/sentimental contracts to players based on what they've done in the past is a good way to not get to the championship level you want.
Agreed.

Couldn't of said it better myself.

Uncle Zeek

Liked Posts:
Pretty sure a 3-4 defense and well every defense for that matter uses cornerbacks too.

Yeah, but in a 3-4 a zone guy like Jennings would get like 35% of the snaps, and wouldn't be a suitable backup to either CB position, so how much do you pay for that?

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
This is the one argument I don't get.

This offseason we are losing a shit ton of players and likely cutting even more to save cap space, and the ones we got now aren't proving to be worth a damn.

So wouldn't next season then be the PERFECT time to switch to a 3-4, if he were so inclined?

I mean, any way you look at it, you're going to have to overhaul this defense anyway - so why limit yourself to what you are willing to play?

Vash, with your constant talk about the 34, you never eplain why the bears would switch. Why?

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Why would you tag Gould? He could play another 7 years and it would be much cheaper to extend him.

Same goes for Culter. Well, not 7 years. But if he plays well enough to this year to tag, then it would be cheaper and smarter to just extend him. And I just dont see Cutler holding out for a Flacco contract.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Yeah, but in a 3-4 a zone guy like Jennings would get like 35% of the snaps, and wouldn't be a suitable backup to either CB position, so how much do you pay for that?

Doesn't matter anyways because were not switching to a 3-4...

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Yeah but this year is all an Emery smokescreen! She is also playing MLB right now but silently so we don't know

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:
Why?

Dude has dropped so many hints that he isnt really interested in breaking the bank. Actually he has flat out said on his show that he has plenty of money already and is more interested in winning at this point.

The reason I think he will get the tag won't necessarily be because he is willing to take less money... but because it might also allow the GM to setup the cap a certain way...

I also do not believe that Jay is going to go for cheap and if his asking price is reasonably close to the franchise tag then they might just make him prove he is worth what he thinks he is worth... which would allow the GM to set up a contract for the future that better suits the current salary cap...

I just don't think when it comes down to it in the end he is just going to take significantly less money... I don't see that happening...

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
So you're saying even if Jay proves himself this season he should have to prove himself again under the franchise tag? That is dumb for two reasons. One you're paying him entirely too much for a single year. Two you're risking pissing him off right out of town.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
Yeah but this year is all an Emery smokescreen! She is also playing MLB right now but silently so we don't know

He's disguised as Bostic.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
So you're saying even if Jay proves himself this season he should have to prove himself again under the franchise tag? That is dumb for two reasons. One you're paying him entirely too much for a single year. Two you're risking pissing him off right out of town.

Don't argue with Chris. He's always right. Just ask him.

Run the ball

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Honestly, if tagging Cutler "pisses him off out of town", then fuck him. This is a business and not an "am I hurting your feelings" facility.

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:

I am not saying that is what I would do...

I am saying it is what I think might happen if he asks for a number anywhere near the franchise tag price...

If it were up to me I would sign him long term and open up the cap space and go after a few players... But from a GM point of view they might see fit to make Jay prove it 2 years in a row in order to sign him to a lower deal and gain the cap space that way...

given that you get to roll over cap space not used in the previous year it would all come down to math and what you think you could save in the future...

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Honestly, if tagging Cutler "pisses him off out of town", then fuck him. This is a business and not an "am I hurting your feelings" facility.

Yea, because we can replace him so easily and Brandon Marshall won't be mad or anything like that.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:

Why would you assume that it would piss him off out of town?

Run the ball

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
P
Yea, because we can replace him so easily and Brandon Marshall won't be mad or anything like that.

You own a store, right?! How many "management" decisions do you make/change because of your employees feelings?

Again, if a 20 million $$$ payday pisses him off to that point, then fuck him.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
What makes anyone believe that Jay would still want to give the Bears a hometown discount if they disrespect him by forcing him to prove himself a 2nd year in a row. If I were him I would say okay you want to play hardball even if I am trying to give you a discount. Now you pay full price and if you won't someone else sure as shit will. From hometown discount to kiss my ass deal.