Who's on YOUR Free Agent Wish List?

Liked Posts:
Now that the 2008-2009 season is over for the Bulls and it's time to leave the hardwood for "the criiiiiiiib" as Timmy Hardaway once said, we can now look forward to the draft and to the summer free agency.

The list is in of this year's free agents:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?page=FreeAgents-09-10

Who is on your wish list this summer? Is there anyone out there on this list you think could really help the Bulls and who they could realistically go after?

Here are my .02 for whatever it's worth...

1. We need to part with Gordon and Thomas. Gordon is a nice player but we will NEVER win the big one with him leading the charge. Thomas is better than Stromile Swift and Darius Miles but not much better. His highlight stuffs look great on ESPN but he is not a consistently good overall PLAYER and as much as we would all miss his plays and occasional good game, I think it would do a world of good to let him go this summer.

2. We need three things gentlemen - experience, 3-point shooting and size. Look at Orlando - they've got all three. Orlando will hit 3 after 3. When the Suns were the Suns they were knocking down the 3's. If we get at least 2, if not 3 good shooters from 3 land we are going to go SO far next year.

If I'm Jerry Reinsdorf, here are the guys I'm going after:

1. Shawn Marion. He's a Chicago boy. He gets you a double double every night. Why WOULDN'T you go after Shawn Marion. He is number one on my wishlist.

2. Michael Finley. Yeah, he's old, but he can come off the bench...hit some 3's and sit down. Michael Finley can help us.

3. Antonio McDyess or Rasheed Wallace. Detroit is in rebuilding mode and if we can lure one of these guys wouldn't that be a great day in Chi Town!? Imagine Rasheed Wallace or McDyess in a Bulls uni! I'm getting excited about next season just thinking about it. Mr. Reinsdorf - get these guys.

4. If we can't get either of those guys, why not go after Al Harrington and Jermaine O'Neal? Again, I know they're getting up there but they can help us too.

5. If we can get rid of Gordon, the services of Mike Bibby, J-Kidd, and Andre Miller are all available. Personally, I would offer as much as possible to Andre Miller (the most underrated player in the NBA today by a MILE). These guys all have experience and are all excellent guards. Again, i think the Bulls have the best shot to get Miller.

6. This is going to sound crazy but sometimes it's good to think outside the box. I have a sleeper that is going to floor all of you.

Robert Swift from Oklahoma City.

Yes, I'm serious. And don't call me Shirley.

Although he's suffered through some aches and pains I think Swift is due for a change of scenery. With the right coaching and complimentary players around him this guy could get you at least 12 and 8 a game coming off the bench in the 2nd and 3rd. I know it sounds nuts but I think Robert Swift is worth going after.

Just my .02.

frank breakfast-styleham

dougthonus

Liked Posts:
If you took any player on that list and replaced Ben Gordon with him the team would be way worse.

Of course, we probably can't afford Gordon. We may be able to afford one of those guys. Not Marion, Miller, or Bibby. Probably not sheed. Maybe McDyess. He wouldn't be a bad stop gap for a year or two, but clearly he's not helping you that much long term.

I think FA will be tough this year, because we won't get a long term answer for sure. Anyone we get is going to be just a filler guy for a year or two.

fola

Liked Posts:
Ben Gordon.

Shakes

Iconoclast
Liked Posts:
I think you've got to be looking for a stop gap on a one year deal. Until the extensions are signed, you have to stay 2010 flexible.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Ben Gordon and maybe a role playing big man who can rebound and play good defense (something Tyrus seem to have trouble with).

wjb1492

Liked Posts:
Marion scares me a bit. Not saying he's not a talented guy, but he hasn't seemed happy anywhere he's been. Of course, I have that issue with Amare as well. Maybe the fit would be great and Marion would be thrilled to be here. It's the maybe not that scares me. I think I've got even less tolerance for risk than Pax.

I had to laugh when I read the part about "If we can get rid of Ben Gordon." If that's your goal, it's the easiest thing on the whole freaking list. I'd much rather just hold onto Kirk for another year than any of those older PGs you mention. One, I'm not thinking that any of them are willing to come into a limited backup/mentor role quite yet, and I don't really see any of them wanting to play a bunch at SG either. I love Andre Miller, but that gets you nowhere with the "need 3s" thing you start out with. If forced to pick from that group, I think I'd have to go Bibby. (And yes, I'm a Kirk fan, but I'm one of the Kirk fans who would prefer he get to start on another team than hang out in Chicago playing 20 minutes a game, so this comment doesn't come from just wanting to hold onto him.)

Also not sold on Swift - what makes you think the Bulls have the right coaching and complimentary players to get anything out of him, assuming he can even get and stay healthy?

Maybe it's just that I really like our players for the most part. It's not that I would never trade any of them, but with the way the season finished up I'm also not at a shuffle-the-deck-chairs kind of place. If there's a trade for an exceptional big that doesn't screw the farm on who has to be sent out to get it done, that's one thing. But otherwise I'd just as soon go with the guys we have than take a flyer on other teams' castoffs or the aging vets crew.

dougthonus

Liked Posts:
If we can bring back Gordon and get Deng successfully fitting in, and just get more contribution out of #16/#26 than we got out of Gray, Linton, and Hunter, then this team should win 50+ next season as constituted.

However, I don't think we'll bring back Gordon.

I don't see the point in discussing Marion too much. I don't think we'll be able to afford him anyway. He'd be a nice player to have, and I'd pay him the MLE, but we can't pay him more than that, and I'm not sure he's going to sign with us for it, so I don't know how well that works out.

Ralphb07

Liked Posts:
I don't think FA is really a option. I could see us trying to sign Boozer or Milsap with a sign and trade but other than that I don't see much else.

The only other two I see is Bass or Powe and I would really like Powe as a back up

I'm not sure what's up with Gordon but we just gotta assume he's not going to be back and if he is that it's a bonus

My perfect summer would be landing Amare,Bosh,West,Jamison,Boozer or Milsap via trade. If we can't do that try to draft a PF and SG in the draft. My choices would be Blair and Terrance Williams and if we had money left over try and sign Powe

Edit: Powe is restricted so i would say sign Bass since he is UR

Shakes

Iconoclast
Liked Posts:
If the doomsayers are right with their worst case scenario for how bad NBA teams finances are, I could see guys like Marion going for the MLE.

I don't think that it's likely things are that bad, but I think we'll need to see how things play out. What were once impossible bargains may be reasonable deals now.

Newskoolbulls

Liked Posts:
Robert Swift? hes played how many games in his career? he looks like he can barley walk with that bulk knee brace.

Shawn Marion? esshhhh the guy who wanted 3 yrs 60 mil. extension from Phx? hell no.

Give me Chris Anderson, I will take the chance on him.

Bullsman24

Mr Metta World Peace
Liked Posts:
mcdyess maybe? he could be the equivalent of what p.j brown was a couple of years ago, just to mentor tyrus and noah some, although we do have miller so idk.

jamario moon looks interesting because we need a SF and in my opinion, he's even more refined than t-time. the problem is how old he is to only have a couple years experience...

but right now there's no one i wouldn't sign to more than a stop-gap deal, no one with long term value.

Newskoolbulls

Liked Posts:
bullsman24 wrote:
mcdyess maybe? he could be the equivalent of what p.j brown was a couple of years ago, just to mentor tyrus and noah some, although we do have miller so idk.

jamario moon looks interesting because we need a SF and in my opinion, he's even more refined than t-time. the problem is how old he is to only have a couple years experience...

but right now there's no one i wouldn't sign to more than a stop-gap deal, no one with long term value.

Moon played really bad the first half, he did ok when he was dealt to Miami but injuries limited his time there. I would give him a 2 year deal with the second being a team option.

Bullsman24

Mr Metta World Peace
Liked Posts:
idk, chris anderson and tyrus thomas are awfully similar...

and yeah, that would be a great deal for jamario

TheStig

Liked Posts:
I'd love to grab Wallace or McDyess but it just isn't going to happen. Both will either stay in Detroit or go to a contender. We also don't have any money to spend as we aren't even going to have the full mle and thats with letting BG go.

Milsap and Lee are also options but they are rfas and their teams likely won't let them go for the mle.

Bullsman24

Mr Metta World Peace
Liked Posts:
well yeah but we have value to give back in a sign and trade

Newskoolbulls

Liked Posts:
bullsman24 wrote:
idk, chris anderson and tyrus thomas are awfully similar...

and yeah, that would be a great deal for jamario

Chris Anderson plays with passion, he hustles. Two things Tyrus doesnt do.

Newskoolbulls

Liked Posts:
TheStig wrote:
I'd love to grab Wallace or McDyess but it just isn't going to happen. Both will either stay in Detroit or go to a contender. We also don't have any money to spend as we aren't even going to have the full mle and thats with letting BG go.

Milsap and Lee are also options but they are rfas and their teams likely won't let them go for the mle.

Lees agent is saying he wants 10 mil per. Thats a lot of money for the best player on a crappy team, he is probably a 6th or 7th man on a good team.

Bullsman24

Mr Metta World Peace
Liked Posts:
but really all he does is block shots and dunk, which sounds familiar...