Who's the best player in the 2023 NFL Draft?

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
Would it be wise to have so much salary cap locked up on 4 DTs?
I assume watts will be close to vet minimum. They have pretty much no money committed anywhere else and Jones will be off the books after next year. I really don't see how it would limit them currently. Hargreaves could likely be structured where you can get him off the books after fields 5th year option. Bears are in the position to be able to use resources how they please while fields is on his rookie contract.

FozzyBear

Token CCS Minority
Liked Posts:
Not sure what this means, but its funny whenever you replace "s" with a "z"...odd defensive mechanism but funny nonetheless

Meanz, i put in da workz. I dig deep in film study. In the 2 plays i watched.. I have to say.

Has agility and some goes for a big boy

However,

Lacks elite get off
Lacks elite closing speed.
6'3, plays high at times like he's 6'6.
Injury flag. Yeah, take a big guy with a questionable knee in the top 5
Lackz the sack production if seeking a true 3T pass rusher. Left 1v1 plenty, #s should be higher.
swim, club, bull... seems strong
Will still disrupt and get in the back field though.. will get TFLs but wont always get home to da QBz.
May be a better 5T.... If Bears were still 3-4... hmmm/

Bears just needz the red bone in the 7th. Dom 'fat aaron donald' Peterson and another blah blahs. + Sign Payne and Hargrave

Last edited:

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
As I stated in another thread, Will Anderson is awesome. Tons of production against both the run and the pass. For an edge defender to have 100 tackles in one season is beyond crazy. My only gripe with him is the legitimate lack of ball production. 1 FF in three years for a player who's been around the ball a metric ton.

You either have a nack for separating the QB from the football or you don't. Violent hands don't grow on trees and pretty much all of the greats at the NFL level not only have that nack but also showed it in college.

That's not to say he won't be good at the next level but I don't see him with that game wrecker label.
Some good points here. Tend to agree. Brad, salary cap PFF guy on Twitter was wondering if Anderson would actually be a target considering he is listed at like 243lbs. Little small for 4-3 DE, especially small for what Eberflus likes. That being said, Dominique Robinson is only 253.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
I think you take the dominant pass rusher over the DT every time. Will Anderson is the best player in the draft in my opinion
Oh, really?

Tell me who had the bigger effect in their careers:

Pick #1 - Jadeveon Clowney
Pick #5 - Khalil Mack
Pick #13 - Aaron Donald

Now, I am not saying that any of the 2023 draft prospects are going to be on the same level as the players above, but it is foolish to make such a statement as "take the dominant pass rusher over the DT every time".

I have a better question for you ... if dominant pass rusher, let's call him Joe Glass, can play both DE and 3 tech just as well, where do you play him, if the team that drafted him have just as much of a hole at DE and 3 tech in a defense where the 3 tech position is the most important position?

Wouldn't the obvious answer be 3 tech because he is that much closer to the QB, and he is playing against the least athletic of the offensive linemen?

If both happen to be available when the Bears pick, they need to have a lot of questions answered which I think they will have their answers after the first waves of free agency.

It would be great if the 3 tech and DE1 positions were effectively addressed in the offseason.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
Same height as Drew Brees and Tua. Taller than Russell Wilson and Kyler Murray. If he can play high level QB at 6' in the SEC, he can do it in the NFL. I don't think NFL teams will have any concerns and I think he's the #1 pick in this draft.
I hope lots of QBs go before the Bears draft. The Bears can have a better player fall to them.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Some good points here. Tend to agree. Brad, salary cap PFF guy on Twitter was wondering if Anderson would actually be a target considering he is listed at like 243lbs. Little small for 4-3 DE, especially small for what Eberflus likes. That being said, Dominique Robinson is only 253.

Micah Parsons is about to be DPOTY at the same height and weight as him.

Granted, he's a 3-4 OLB, but still...

I've also heard his listed weight is from the 2021 season and he's closer to around 250-255 now.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
You say Carter is the better prospect because he's been more dominant. I say Young is the better prospect because he has also been dominant. He also has the Heisman trophy to support this domination. My point about the HS recruiting rankings is simply to say, Young has been seen as the better prospect by people who actually rank prospects going into college. He's done nothing to say those guys are wrong. Carter has been great, but it's hard to say he's been better playing part time on a loaded defensive front for 2 years than a guy who's led a loaded offense.

It's similar to Trevor Lawrence/Justin Fields. Lawrence was rated higher in HS. He didn't do anything to lose that status as the better prospect, despite Fields doing all he could to take his spot. That's why nobody faults the Jags for taking Lawrence over Fields, and everyone rags on the Jets, 49ers, Broncos, and Panthers who all passed on Fields for lesser players, even though Fields is maybe better than Lawrence too.
And just like fields/Lawrence, the HS rankings(if they somehow actually played a factor, which they didn’t), I called fields the better draft prospect. Just like carter is the better draft prospect than young

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Will Anderson.

I don't get the Jalen Carter hype, quite honestly. It sounds a lot like wishful thinking to me that a guy who's never had the kind of sack production you'd like from a 3 technique DT is going to suddenly turn it on in the pros because his pressure percentage is good.

I'm not saying Carter will end up being a bust, but if I'm picking in the top 5, I'm not taking a player based on hope. Give me the guy who actually gets to the quarterback. Will Anderson does that better than anyone.

Anderson. After an awesome last year, he answered his questions around if he can defend against the run.

I’m entirely turned off by Carter right now. He was dominant last year, but this year—when not hurt—he doesn’t look the part, it’s not reflected on his stat sheet, and there’s a credible question to be made that he was a product of Jordan Davis and him overwhelming everybody whereas on his own it’s not there this year.

If some want to give him a pass for the injury (which is another red flag because it’s rehabbing an MCL injury without surgery and hasn’t looked right) I get it, but still think he really needs to show up rivalry week, conference championship, CF playoff and championship game to get back to this conversation.

Having ‘blue chip status’ from last year I think has given him a pass to many but I don’t think it should. And I would find it quintessentially ‘bears’ to draft a preinjured guy.
Y’all need to go watch the bama/Tennessee game and the Georgia/Tennessee game. After you watch both, then tell me who impacts games more…Anderson or Carter?

Hint…Anderson doesn’t sniff the QB all game. Carter absolutely wrecked Tennessees offense with his pressure up the middle, forcing the pocket back into the QB

bearsfan1977

Liked Posts:
I don’t watch ‘Bama much, so I can’t speak with much knowledge on Anderson, except he’s a great player and pass rusher. My only concern is his size and whether he fits in with this D. If yes, I’d be thrilled with the pick.

I’d also be thrilled with Carter, who I have watched a ton. Barring injury, he will be an absolute monster on the interior DL.

I think Carter is the better fit, but I’d be fine with either.

Last edited:
Liked Posts:
Meanz, i put in da workz. I dig deep in film study. In the 2 plays i watched.. I have to say.

Has agility and some goes for a big boy

However,

Lacks elite get off
Lacks elite closing speed.
6'3, plays high at times like he's 6'6.
Injury flag. Yeah, take a big guy with a questionable knee in the top 5
Lackz the sack production if seeking a true 3T pass rusher. Left 1v1 plenty, #s should be higher.
swim, club, bull... seems strong
Will still disrupt and get in the back field though.. will get TFLs but wont always get home to da QBz.
May be a better 5T.... If Bears were still 3-4... hmmm/

Bears just needz the red bone in the 7th. Dom 'fat aaron donald' Peterson and another blah blahs. + Sign Payne and Hargrave
k

bearsfan1977

Liked Posts:
Y’all need to go watch the bama/Tennessee game and the Georgia/Tennessee game. After you watch both, then tell me who impacts games more…Anderson or Carter?

Hint…Anderson doesn’t sniff the QB all game. Carter absolutely wrecked Tennessees offense with his pressure up the middle, forcing the pocket back into the QB
This. Carter destroys OLs when healthy, and I don’t even think he is 100% yet.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
This. Carter destroys OLs when healthy, and I don’t even think he is 100% yet.
Pressure straight into a QB’s face is absolutely lethal to any offense

Liked Posts:
Oh, really?

Tell me who had the bigger effect in their careers:

Pick #1 - Jadeveon Clowney
Pick #5 - Khalil Mack
Pick #13 - Aaron Donald

Now, I am not saying that any of the 2023 draft prospects are going to be on the same level as the players above, but it is foolish to make such a statement as "take the dominant pass rusher over the DT every time".
Not foolish at all. You don’t take a complete outlier like Donald to prove your point unless you think another Donald is available, which you’re not saying…. On average DE is the logical choice. I think finding a really good DT in later rounds is a better value pick.

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
Aaron Donald is a generational talent. To draft a DT that high they better be fckn disruptive and be a can’t miss product. Top DE seems like a safer bet

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
Yeah, I'm not really concerned with his weight. He's is extremely strong, he's put that on tape, whether it be at the point of attack or the mesh point.

It's like looking at Leonard Floyd , Micah Parsons and Clay Mathews coming out and just pasting the undersize lable on them without any context. One of those players weight was a legitimate question because of the lack of strength on film.

Now, Floyd developed into a pretty good run defender but it definitely took time.

Your point about what Flus and Co. covet is valid.