Why is the term "blitz" used in the NFL?

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Less literal 'sudden great attack' would likely be a more accurate description. Sending more than expected faster/sooner than expected. Fits well for both how used in the military and gleaned by the NFL..

Last edited:

KennyH

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
I'm sure this will be a fun thread but why does the NFL use a Nazi/ German term for probably the most used defensive tactic? How do the resident nazis on this board feel about this?

'Blitz' and 'Blitzkreig' have different meanings and etymology - lightening and lightening war

There's also a lot of academic studies saying it was allied media that used the term 'blitzkrieg' and not a term the Wehrmacht used to define their rapid deployment of mechanised infantry units. The 'blitz', a term used to describe the bombing of London by the Luftwaffe was also popularised by allied media. So don't think it ever was really a 'Nazi term' though it is often (incorrectly) assumed it was popularised by the Germans during the Second World War

But predating that, we appear to have this:

Donner and Blitzen, together with Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, and Cupid, were all named by American writer Clement Clarke Moore in his 1823 poem, 'The Night Before Christmas'. So really the use of 'blitz' in the US to mean lightening clearly predates WWII

Plus we have Blitz chess - though that might have an etymology that is post WWII ??

And of course the US also gave us the amazing 'Blitzkreig Bop, by the Ramones!!

Black Rainbow

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't watch ESPN or do much with Twitter...is this a real thing? Scrutiny of the term blitz?

I saw it mentioned somewhere else too. I thought @bamainatlanta was being facetious.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I don't watch ESPN or do much with Twitter...is this a real thing? Scrutiny of the term blitz?

I saw it mentioned somewhere else too. I thought @bamainatlanta was being facetious.

I am being facetious. It will be canceled though. If colleges are banning the usage of Freshmen, Sophomore, etc--only a matter of time before a Nazi war tactic term is banned, even if it predates the Nazi regime.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Are you sure it isn't blintz, like the delightful Jewish stuffed pancake? I'm pretty certain the term is blintz, as in they sent Eddie Jackson in on a safety blintz but he was pancake blocked by the OT.

I believe the breakfast terms originated as a dig by George Halas towards Vince Lombardi, who adored sweet breakfast foods but due to diabetes was not allowed to eat them.

Black Rainbow

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I am being facetious. It will be canceled though. If colleges are banning the usage of Freshmen, Sophomore, etc--only a matter of time before a Nazi war tactic term is banned, even if it predates the Nazi regime.
I'm sure you're right.

Ppl keep bringing up etymology & historic usage...it doesn't seem to matter anymore. If it had a negative connotation somewhere in the middle it could get phased out.

bamainatlanta

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I'm sure you're right.

Ppl keep bringing up etymology & historic usage...it doesn't seem to matter anymore. If it had a negative connotation somewhere in the middle it could get phased out.

This.

Kurtosis

Liked Posts:
If someone doesn’t like something and is loud enough about it on a large enough platform, it’ll get snuffed out. Justifiably so or not.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Not sure why I haven't thought about this, but @Icculus, a dude who actually lives in Germany might be our best help here.

bamainatlanta

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
The "Fighting" in Fighting Illini was meant to honor the students that lost their lives in WW1, and there are efforts to remove that in the name because it's offensive.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
German words are scary.....

The only things I see when I hear German words:

1621432390712.jpeg

1621432420609.jpeg

images

KennyH

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Words and phrases have always come in and dropped out of regular use either because they're meaning changed or their usage was re-interpreted

I guess some people also thought it only happened during their time too!

I look back now and cringe at some of the terms and words I happily used as a kid - words and phrases that I would certainly never dream of using now! But I guess they were simpler times, and we were all a bit naive, and then all that changed when we invaded Poland!

benplace

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Blitzkrieg is a term used to describe a method of offensive warfare designed to strike a swift, focused blow at an enemy using mobile, maneuverable forces. Such an attack ideally leads to a quick victory.
/thread

bamainatlanta

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Blitzkrieg is a term used to describe a method of offensive warfare designed to strike a swift, focused blow at an enemy using mobile, maneuverable forces. Such an attack ideally leads to a quick victory.

Be careful with that, sometimes you reach below to get a handful of angel hair pasta but you end Fighting the battle of the bulge

Anchorman 2

TexasBearfan

Liked Posts:
when i was much younger i delivered for the VNA hospice, i was at an apt. building in Hyde Park in view of Science and Industry and buzzed the woman to let me in, I walk into the lobby looked down and stopped in my tracks, the tiles were in a swastika design, my mind began racing, is this some apt home for nazis wtf? I considered turning around and walking out. Not wanting to lose my job i knocked on the old lady's door, confirmed her name and immediately asked her what was up with the swastikas...she told me this building was built pre WWII and the tile was original...i was thinking...nobody bothered to change the freaking tile with that design? She calmly said the nazis are no longer a threat and have been defeated and it's just a design.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
How do we know the NFL doesn't predate the Germans?

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Actually, while we're at it, I think it's correctly spelled "Gremens."