Why Larry Borom Could Be a Rookie Surprise

Brownie

Liked Posts:

"My strength is I feel like I can pass protect with the best of them," Borom said. "And I'm a big body that can run off the ball. And one thing I'm gonna need to work on is just smaller, just little technique things regarding some things in the run game, maybe footwork here and there, hand placement, but other than that, I feel like I can pass block with the best of them."

This really doesn't follow the trend of recent players the Bears have brought in at the position.

In fact, Borom last year was downright dominant as a pass blocker.

Pro Football Focus analyzed film of all college pass blockers and Borom was the only tackle in the country, on the left side or right side, who did not allow a single quarterback pressure. A pair of 2022 draft-eligibles, Memphis' Dylan Parham (0.7% pressures) and Arkansas' Myron Cunningham (1.2%) were second and third and Carolina Panthers third-round draft pick Brady Christensen from BYU (1.3%) was fourth.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini

"My strength is I feel like I can pass protect with the best of them," Borom said. "And I'm a big body that can run off the ball. And one thing I'm gonna need to work on is just smaller, just little technique things regarding some things in the run game, maybe footwork here and there, hand placement, but other than that, I feel like I can pass block with the best of them."

This really doesn't follow the trend of recent players the Bears have brought in at the position.

Pro Football Focus analyzed film of all college pass blockers and Borom was the only tackle in the country, on the left side or right side, who did not allow a single quarterback pressure. A pair of 2022 draft-eligibles, Memphis' Dylan Parham (0.7% pressures) and Arkansas' Myron Cunningham (1.2%) were second and third and Carolina Panthers third-round draft pick Brady Christensen from BYU (1.3%) was fourth.

I like his confidence. We need more players with that attitude.

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Borum was on with DD Phil for > 30 mins a few days after being drafted. Pretty chill dude, but def. had the confidence. Seemed like a Mack type - chill, but with a mean streak between the stripes.

satchice

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
That would be awesome if he’s our new left tackle and Jenkins can anchor down the right side. Either way I believe in these two rookies and I think our o-line is going to be a happy surprise this season!

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

He needs the weight room and that's about it. His drop, mirror and recognition is really good. Why I said he was an option at LT. He may not start this year but I think we've got our Ts for a long time.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
It will be quite an accomplishment if the Bears end up with a true franchise QB and bookend tackles out of this draft class. Going into the draft, my patience was waning. I didn’t see how they could effectively address QB and OT without a huge amount of compromise. I figured they would probably walk away with a solid LT prospect and a huge projection/project at QB.

Nothing has been proven yet but it sure looks promising. One on ones in pads will start to tell the story on Jenkins and Borom. If you go to camp or Family Fest, focus on that drill before they move to 7 on 7 or a full scrimmage. There’s no place to hide and they go full bore in those matchups.

Discus fish salesman

Liked Posts:
I kind of wish borom was getting a chance to compete at LT. I think he is going to be a better pass blocker than Jenkins

Nelly

Liked Posts:
...and he played in the SEC. That's impressive.

Note: I had initially typed "SEX." Carry on.

gallagher

Ave Atque Vale
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
I kind of wish borom was getting a chance to compete at LT. I think he is going to be a better pass blocker than Jenkins
Personally, if they both start, I don't care which is at LT. Pass blocking is just as important on the right side (note that Mack lines up over RT most of the time).

We really are at a spot where you have to do what gets your best 5 playing. Our interior line has been shuffled quite a bit and have a chance for rookies starting at both tackle spots. No one guy is locked in at any one spot on the line except Mustipher at C.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
Personally, if they both start, I don't care which is at LT. Pass blocking is just as important on the right side (note that Mack lines up over RT most of the time).

We really are at a spot where you have to do what gets your best 5 playing. Our interior line has been shuffled quite a bit and have a chance for rookies starting at both tackle spots. No one guy is locked in at any one spot on the line except Mustipher at C.
I believe they are locked in with Whitehair at LG too.

Aquineas

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I tell you what, watching the linemen battles in training camp is going to be awesome. Looking forward to seeing these guys against folks like Akiem Hicks.

gallagher

Ave Atque Vale
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
I believe they are locked in with Whitehair at LG too.
I like him at LG. I'm not sure how it would affect him to be RG instead, but I doubt him penciled in at LG would prevent us from getting our best 5 out there.

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:

How do you figure that Mustipher is the only lock on the OL? Mustipher might be the only one who isn’t a lock on the OL.

Discus fish salesman

Liked Posts:
How do you figure that Mustipher is the only lock on the OL? Mustipher might be the only one who isn’t a lock on the OL.
I think daniels and whitehair are locks at the G spots. Mustipher is close to a lock at C but will need to perform well. Ifedi is likely at RT unless he is bad and Borom is great. Jenkins is competing with Wilkinson. If Jenkins can't beat Wilkinson we are in trouble

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:
I think daniels and whitehair are locks at the G spots. Mustipher is close to a lock at C but will need to perform well. Ifedi is likely at RT unless he is bad and Borom is great. Jenkins is competing with Wilkinson. If Jenkins can't beat Wilkinson we are in trouble
Yeah I agree with this. My comment was based on off season moves, but anything can happen in TC. I would love to see Borom step up and win the starting job RT job, but it’s Ifedi’s job to lose. And considering Wilkinson is on a 1 year deal, I think they will give Jenkins every opportunity to be the starter.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
I think Borom has a developmental aspect. Certainly has the physical tools, but technique-wise he has alot to clean up to be able to play at the pro level.

I think he makes an impact next season.

greg23

Liked Posts:
We'll fond out quickly if the hype and confidence of the oline is a reality or a complete joke.

I've hear nothing but glowing optimism about:

Whitehair at lg
Daniels at rg back from injury
Mustipher at c
Jenkins at tackle
Ifedi as a possible pro bowler
Bars as a proven swing guy
Now eiason as a big stud guard

Who's next?

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
Hey, if he can stone Mack in training camp, give the kid a shot. Seriously, the Bears can find out real quick how NFL ready he is when pads are on.