Why Larry Borom Could Be a Rookie Surprise

Montucky

Liked Posts:
Hey, if he can stone Mack in training camp, give the kid a shot. Seriously, the Bears can find out real quick how NFL ready he is when pads are on.
I doubt Khalil Mack at this point in his career really gives a shit about training camp.

Black Rainbow

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
We'll fond out quickly if the hype and confidence of the oline is a reality or a complete joke.

I've hear nothing but glowing optimism about:

Whitehair at lg
Daniels at rg back from injury
Mustipher at c
Jenkins at tackle
Ifedi as a possible pro bowler
Bars as a proven swing guy
Now eiason as a big stud guard

Who's next?

I have super low hopes because it's the Bears. We've gone thru this several times this century. Supposedly, our GMs find these gems in the draft that other GMs cannot see. Including giving up 2 picks for 1 player. Then everyone is surprised when it blows up in our face.

I feel the our fan base has lost touch with what a good o-line is. Like as long as the RB isn't getting hit in the backfield or the QB isn't getting a lineman dumped in his lap - it's a good line.

Discus fish salesman

Liked Posts:
I have super low hopes because it's the Bears. We've gone thru this several times this century. Supposedly, our GMs find these gems in the draft that other GMs cannot see. Including giving up 2 picks for 1 player. Then everyone is surprised when it blows up in our face.

I feel the our fan base has lost touch with what a good o-line is. Like as long as the RB isn't getting hit in the backfield or the QB isn't getting a lineman dumped in his lap - it's a good line.
Oh boy, here we go with the 2 picks for 1 player again.

Black Rainbow

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Oh boy, here we go with the 2 picks for 1 player again.

No matter how you cut it, it's a huge gamble.

If Jenkins isn't special, it's not a good move.

If he's a special player I'll stfu. If he's just an average RT, it wasn't worth it.

gallagher

Ave Atque Vale
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
How do you figure that Mustipher is the only lock on the OL? Mustipher might be the only one who isn’t a lock on the OL.
You misinterpret my meaning. I meant that he is locked in as a center, not that he is locked in as the STARTING center. As far as I know, he is the only one that doesnt offer much positional flexibility, whereas Whitehair and Daniel can both play C (how good they are at it is a topic of debate) and theoretically our rookies could play on either side of the line. Ifedi didnt play as good at G as he can at RT, but there is still flexibility to line him up at G if it gets the best 5 out there.

alswank87

Liked Posts:

1st post here. Hello everyone!

Anyway, I get how you’re feeling, but I think Fields is different. We drafted Rex Grossman late in the first as the fourth QB taken. I don’t remember if it was a reach or not, but I think we can all agree he was not the franchise QB we wanted him to be. Next we got Jay cutler from Denver. When Cutler was drafted (by the Broncos), I remember he shot up the draft boards in the offseason. Everyone was high on Leinart and Young that year. He ended up being the best of the three, but was never that star we wanted. We drafted Trubisky next and he was also a QB who shot up the draft board in the off-season and disappointed the fan base.

Fields is different though. All throughout the year everyone thought fields was the second best QB in the draft and then he fell, so we traded up for him. His fall reminds me more of Aaron Rodgers, who was supposed to be the second pick of the draft, but fell to late first round. The only difference is Lance and Wilson shot up the draft boards in the off-season. I seriously think the Jets are going to be disappointed with their draft choice. I’m less skeptical of the niners and Trey Lance, but I think they will regret passing up on fields as well. Lance is tricky to judge because he has the tools, but he’s also making a huge jump from the FCS to the NFL. I don’t see a legitimate reason for why fields fell and it gives him a chip on his shoulder. I don’t think the bears have ever gotten the kind of value from the draft at the QB position like they did with Fields. Getting the second highest rated QB in the draft at pick 11 is a steal. It’s not the same as when we reached for trubisky, gambled on Cutler, or drafted Grossman.

Having said all of that, we’re still the bears and we will probably still find a way to suck.

Black Rainbow

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Anyway, I get how you’re feeling, but I think Fields is different. We drafted Rex Grossman late in the first as the fourth QB taken. I don’t remember if it was a reach or not, but I think we can all agree he was not the franchise QB we wanted him to be. Next we got Jay cutler from Denver. When Cutler was drafted (by the Broncos), I remember he shot up the draft boards in the offseason. Everyone was high on Leinart and Young that year. He ended up being the best of the three, but was never that star we wanted. We drafted Trubisky next and he was also a QB who shot up the draft board in the off-season and disappointed the fan base.

Fields is different though. All throughout the year everyone thought fields was the second best QB in the draft and then he fell, so we traded up for him. His fall reminds me more of Aaron Rodgers, who was supposed to be the second pick of the draft, but fell to late first round. The only difference is Lance and Wilson shot up the draft boards in the off-season. I seriously think the Jets are going to be disappointed with their draft choice. I’m less skeptical of the niners and Trey Lance, but I think they will regret passing up on fields as well. Lance is tricky to judge because he has the tools, but he’s also making a huge jump from the FCS to the NFL. I don’t see a legitimate reason for why fields fell and it gives him a chip on his shoulder. I don’t think the bears have ever gotten the kind of value from the draft at the QB position like they did with Fields. Getting the second highest rated QB in the draft at pick 11 is a steal. It’s not the same as when we reached for trubisky, gambled on Cutler, or drafted Grossman.

Having said all of that, we’re still the bears and we will probably still find a way to suck.

I'm talking about Jenkins, not Fields.

But while we're at it. If either of these two are just average its a problem going forward.

You don't give up 2 first round picks for Derek Carr.

The Big Grabowski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I doubt Khalil Mack at this point in his career really gives a shit about training camp.
In general that's probably true of a lot of vets, but Mack has always been a tone setter in practices.

DC

Minister of Archaic Titillations
Donator
Liked Posts:
It will be quite an accomplishment if the Bears end up with a true franchise QB and bookend tackles out of this draft class.
As you said, it remains to be proven, but you're right. I will be the first one saying back up the truck for Ryan Pace is this is the outcome. Instant legend.

msadows

Liked Posts:
No matter how you cut it, it's a huge gamble.

If Jenkins isn't special, it's not a good move.

If he's a special player I'll stfu. If he's just an average RT, it wasn't worth it.

If he's an average RT that means he's a 6-10 year starter.

I'll take that, my man, considering the hit rate for starters in the first round is 53%. I'd imagine its a ton lower in the 2nd.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

Borom was going to get taken the next pick (Broncos) and fell due to his tweener situation. He was considered to possibly not be mobile enough for T due to his weight. Finished the year injured and then lost over 30 pounds for his pro day to show mobility. He then appeared a bit light for G or T. Why I said he could use a year on the weights. His technique issues didn't translate into fails and he can obviously hold weight. Results are more important than how you get them. No way does that mean he'll succeed but he was a VG pick where we got him. Hard to find starters there and he genuinely has the potential to become a good one in a year.

Last edited:

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I'm talking about Jenkins, not Fields.

But while we're at it. If either of these two are just average its a problem going forward.

You don't give up 2 first round picks for Derek Carr.
Gee, if you could only know that ahead of time.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Borom was going to get taken the next pick (Broncos) and fell due to his tweener situation. He was considered to possibly not be mobile enough for T due to his weight. Finished the year injured and then lost over 30 pounds for his pro day to show mobility. He then appeared a bit light for G or T. Why I said he could use a year on the weights. His technique issues didn't translate into fails and he can obviously hold weight. Results are more important than how you get them. No way does that mean he'll succeed but he was a VG pick where we got him. Hard to find starters there and he genuinely has the potential to become one in a year.

Halftime is legit just finding any reason to be negative this offseason.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Halftime is legit just finding any reason to be negative this offseason.
If I wanted to be right about draft picks more often than not, I'd be negative on the lot as well. I just like this year's draft. Last years draft worked for me as well. We'll get a better take on Kmet this year like almost all TEs, JJ was a solid get and Mooney made that draft for me. Loved that pick and targeted him before the draft.

CaliBearFan

Liked Posts:
If I wanted to be right about draft picks more often than not, I'd be negative on the lot as well. I just like this year's draft. Last years draft worked for me as well. We'll get a better take on Kmet this year like almost all TEs, JJ was a solid get and Mooney made that draft for me. Loved that pick and targeted him before the draft.
Last years draft looks like it could be special - especially considering there was no 1st round pick.

Johnson and Mooney already playing at a high level.
Most signs pointing to Kmet being the long term versatile TE that this team needs.
Reporters singled out Vildor as the biggest defensive playmaker in the voluntary OTAs and he continued to make big plays in the mandatory OTAs when the vets were there. The coaches have spoken very highly of him. He looked solid to me last year when forced to play.
Gipson is still an unknown but he has a lot of potential and the coaches seem to be high on him. He also looks bigger and faster this year according to reports.

Hambright and Simmons are whaterver. Although one of them had to play last year and i didnt see that he was a major liability which is something for a 7th round flyer. If either even becomes a long term backup it just adds to a potentially Really Good draft.

Geezer

Liked Posts:

Grossman a reach? He came very HIGHLY TOUTED by Ron Wolf, the former Packer GM who was responsible for their trading for or drafting both FAVRE AND RODGERS! Now if that doesn't that qualify him as a good judge of QB talent
then what does?

And believe it or not, he had rated Grossman coming out of college as better than either or both of them at that stage of his career! High praise for sure from an acknowledged judge of QB material!

What happened to him after he wore Midnight Blue and Orange is open to discussion. Coaching at the pro level, injuries,
difficulty making the transition, etc.... or all three, or something else! The fact is he was highly rated coming out of college by an acknowledged QB talent evaluator and worthy of a high draft pick.