dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Its an interesting question. This is the last fully-guaranteed year of Cutler's deal, but thanks to Cliff Stein, the remaining years on Cutler's contract escalate upwards so that in 2020 a 37-year old Cutler is pulling in $21.7M. I don't even think the Bobby Bonilla deal was this bad.

Anyways, would you be willing to throw more guaranteed money at Cutler in an effort to lower his annual cap hit number? Like instead of him making $16M in 2017 with $2M guaranteed, go for $12M with $8M guaranteed?

I could deal with Cutler at $12 mil per and no more than $15 mil per for another year or two especially if what he did monday night keeps up cause we may have been underestimating what D.Loggains can do with game planning and play calling and Loggains could be just what Cutler needed. It could also help us to keep Alshon around if his love for Cutler is real.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Sorry, all of this stuff about "turning it around" and "trading Cutler" is pipe dream material, and should have no bearing on the financial decision-making. You know what Cutler is. You know he is a stop-gap QB solution, if that. To keep his 7yr/$126M contract in play is unnecessary. I agree...the contract now is in the Bears favor, so they should ensure they aren't paying Cutler $21.7M in 2020 and also, more importantly, reap an immediate cap gain by restructuring his current deal.

If he's a temporary stop gap until the QB they draft next year (assuming they do) is ready to play, it shouldn't matter what he's due in 2020 because he'll be long gone.

I doubt he'll be back next year, but if he is, I would rather keep him on a strict year-to-year basis. I don't think shaving a couple of million off his 2017 salary is going to be the difference in what they can do next year anyway. They're in a great cap situation and I don't want a team bloated with FA contracts (which have far more potential to harm the team long term than Cutler's contract now does), so I don't think the paltry saving is necessary. I would much rather keep whatever short time he has left on an earned money only basis.

dbldrew

Liked Posts:
Sorry, all of this stuff about "turning it around" and "trading Cutler" is pipe dream material, and should have no bearing on the financial decision-making. You know what Cutler is. You know he is a stop-gap QB solution, if that. To keep his 7yr/$126M contract in play is unnecessary. I agree...the contract now is in the Bears favor, so they should ensure they aren't paying Cutler $21.7M in 2020 and also, more importantly, reap an immediate cap gain by restructuring his current deal.

who the hell cares what he is making in 2020, he is not going to be here.. let the next team figure out how to restructure his deal..

westcoast bear fanatic

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I could deal with Cutler at $12 mil per and no more than $15 mil per for another year or two especially if what he did monday night keeps up cause we may have been underestimating what D.Loggains can do with game planning and play calling and Loggains could be just what Cutler needed. It could also help us to keep Alshon around if his love for Cutler is real.

You really are dumb, just stop while you're ahead...

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

You can't base decisions on Cutler's future on Monday night. He's been here 8 years, we know who he is.

Noonthirtyjoe

Liked Posts:
Getting Jimmy football from NE is the only way I see Cutler not here next year. Were not getting a top 8 pick. Pace won't pay the price to move up. A rookie needs to sit for a while. Sorry but Cutler is gonna be our starter next year and maybe beyond. Also I bet Cutler will play his best ball now that he is totally on the hot seat. I think watching Hoyer rack up 300 yd games has effected Cutler. Having competition at QB has made Jay realize how much he loves the game again. (Totally gut feeling) but I think Jay finally does break thru and become a really good QB the next 3 years.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
So it would add a couple teams to the zero that are already in the mix?

You have no idea if any teams would be in the mix for Cutler. As much as he's hated around here he's still better than a lot of the QB's that are starting for other teams and there's absolutely teams that would take him on as their starting QB IMO.

Broc

well baked
Donator
Liked Posts:
If Cutler is the starter next year Pace should be dragged out into the street and beaten to death with socks filled with nickles. This is the franchise's best opportunity to make a clean break and FINALLY move this franchise forward instead of being stuck in the mud with Cutler for another X amount of years.

It's not rocket science here. Evaluate this years QB class, identify the one that grades out best both skillset wise and intangible wise, and do whatever it takes to draft him and start him next year. You don't need to sit a QB on the bench for 4 years before he's ready to play now a days. Go kick rocks with your mental reps bullshit. The last thing we need is Cutler hanging around causing an inevitable QB controversy. I see absolutely zero benefit to keeping Cutler around after this season. None.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Getting Jimmy football from NE is the only way I see Cutler not here next year. Were not getting a top 8 pick.

Not sure how they're not getting a top 8 pick. They're 2-6 and likely to finish anywhere between 4-12 and 6-10 depending on Cutler's health and the crapshoot of a couple of games against other mediocre-to-bad teams. Why are people thinking that because we beat a massively overrated team with an inflated record and the worst offense in football that we're suddenly a good team and poised to dominate the second half of the season?

Sorry but Cutler is gonna be our starter next year and maybe beyond. Also I bet Cutler will play his best ball now that he is totally on the hot seat. I think watching Hoyer rack up 300 yd games has effected Cutler. Having competition at QB has made Jay realize how much he loves the game again. (Totally gut feeling) but I think Jay finally does break thru and become a really good QB the next 3 years.

This is just fantasy. After 8 years of mediocrity, you're ready to predict a radical turnaround in his career after one decent game? Why? Because he watched Hoyer put up more yards than he did? Josh McCown did EXACTLY the same thing (more yards, less turnovers, with no more points or wins) and Cutler continued to play like garbage into the following season.

Last edited:

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
You can't base decisions on Cutler's future on Monday night. He's been here 8 years, we know who he is.

So i guess you read past the part where i said if what he did monday night keeps up.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
I think Cutler is in a no man's land...too expensive to be a backup under his current contract, too old and non-existent upside for a developing team, too mediocre for a contending team. JMO

Yeah you clearly have some points and Pace definitely has some tough decisions to make. It's obviously gonna come down to where we pick in the draft and if we can get a QB that Pace believes in at that pick or if he wants to trade a shit load to trade up to get that QB and then comes down to money with Cutler. If Cutler plays well the rest of the way with Loggains putting in game plans and play calling that works with Cutler then there's no way Pace and Fox can't at least somewhat change their feelings on Cutler. It will be a very interesting off season in Chicago.

da_bears6

Liked Posts:
I just hope the guy the Bears get isn't developmentally challenged and special like Goff is apparently.

Noonthirtyjoe

Liked Posts:
Not sure how they're not getting a top 8 pick. They're 2-6 and likely to finish anywhere between 4-12 and 6-10 depending on Cutler's health and the crapshoot of a couple of games against other mediocre-to-bad teams. Why are people thinking that because we beat a massively overrated team with an inflated record and the worst offense in football that we're suddenly a good team and poised to dominate the second half of the season?

This is just fantasy. After 8 years of mediocrity, you're ready to predict a radical turnaround in his career after one decent game? Why? Because he watched Hoyer put up more yards than he did? Josh McCown did EXACTLY the same thing (more yards, less turnovers, with no more points or wins) and Cutler continued to play like garbage into the following season.

I'm not basing my feelings off one Monday night game. I see the team playing better now and I see Cutler playing better the last year. I guess well have to revisit down the road. My gut says one thing and my mind the other. I have learned never to trust my mind.

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
Howard ran for a buck 50 against the Vikings. Even Barkeley could have won behind center with that assist. Resign Hoyer who played well, draft an heir, and go into FA with a ton of cap room to improve the team in other areas.

TishLover

Liked Posts:
Alshon Jeffery may not want to be here if Cutler is not QB

westcoast bear fanatic

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Well you're a fucking moron so that gives you something to work on in your lame ass life.

So you still don't see what is wrong with your brilliant plan I see.

You want to restructure Cutler's contract to lower his salary the next 2 seasons. Do you know what happens to that deferred money? Look it up and then tell us all how brilliant your plan is.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
So you still don't see what is wrong with your brilliant plan I see.

You want to restructure Cutler's contract to lower his salary the next 2 seasons. Do you know what happens to that deferred money? Look it up and then tell us all how brilliant your plan is.

I was replying to what Rory said and that's all i was doing. I'm not some big salary cap guy who knows exactly how it works so it was just me simply making a comment to what another poster said and then you felt like you had to jump in and call me dumb so eat a dick if you wanna come at me that way.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
Alshon Jeffery may not want to be here if Cutler is not QB

I don't know if I agree with that. When did he ever say that he only wants to play for Cutler? It's not like it is Aaron Rodgers or Tom Brady here. You might be able to make an argument that if we rolled out Hoyer or some shit as the starter then he might want to go to a contender. But if we drafted someone who had the potential to be a franchise QB, why would he not be excited about that? If he wasn't, then he probably doesn't want to be in Chicago period. And at that point, you could still franchise him again.

Keeping Cutler because of Jeffery would be idiotic.

TishLover

Liked Posts:
I don't know if I agree with that. When did he ever say that he only wants to play for Cutler? It's not like it is Aaron Rodgers or Tom Brady here. You might be able to make an argument that if we rolled out Hoyer or some shit as the starter then he might want to go to a contender. But if we drafted someone who had the potential to be a franchise QB, why would he not be excited about that? If he wasn't, then he probably doesn't want to be in Chicago period. And at that point, you could still franchise him again.

Keeping Cutler because of Jeffery would be idiotic.

I'm not saying we should keep Cutler to sigh Jeffery but it could be one of variable in the post season moves.