Will Cutler be the starter next year?

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Alshon Jeffery may not want to be here if Cutler is not QB

Why? Cutler is a mediocre QB. People said the same thing about Marshall. I don't get line of thinking at all. When was the last time anyone ever heard of a receiver who would only play for a team on the condition that a specific barely average QB was also playing? This doesn't happen.

da_bears6

Liked Posts:
I think week to week Jeffery pretty obviously prefers Jay but come contract time he won't care who his QB is he knows he about to get paid.

Josh2J

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Have they?? I haven't seen or heard anything from them saying that. I guess if you believe what you hear from reporters then you'll believe it but i don't.

I think the teams' recent actions have said enough about how they feel about him....and he knows it. He's as good as gone. And now when he's already half out the door he decides he's gona rise up and carry the team on his back and give motivational halftime speeches. Figures.

satchice

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Getting Jimmy football from NE is the only way I see Cutler not here next year. Were not getting a top 8 pick. Pace won't pay the price to move up. A rookie needs to sit for a while. Sorry but Cutler is gonna be our starter next year and maybe beyond. Also I bet Cutler will play his best ball now that he is totally on the hot seat. I think watching Hoyer rack up 300 yd games has effected Cutler. Having competition at QB has made Jay realize how much he loves the game again. (Totally gut feeling) but I think Jay finally does break thru and become a really good QB the next 3 years.

What the hell are you talking about, "top 8 pick"? Say the Bears win 9 games and pick #18 that doesn't stop us from taking the best QB in the draft!!! Look this draft he alot of good QBs at least 6.. Maybe 3 or 4 go in the first round, so we would be guaranteed to get one of the top 4.

Before NCAA season started Kaaya was the best QB, then it was Watson, then last month was Kizer, now it is changing to Trubisky, and by April 2017 it probally will be Luke Falk(if he gets his head out of his ass and declares) or someone no one is even talking about.. One thing that no one can agree with is who is the best, but something everyone can agree with is all of these guys are potential NFL starters.

If you trade your draft pick for Jimmy and we win 8-10 games while he has a average season... You will have to commit big time to him 80-100MIL 6-7 years. Your stuck with him for 4 years, and then he falls apart.. We wasted draft picks and are paying 18 MIL per year for Brian Hoyer 2.0, and we are stuck for 4 years! Or the other possibility is Bill fucked up and gave us Tom Brady's successor for peanuts.. Which on do you think is more likely?

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
I don't remember saying the deal is horrible. The Bears can now decide to keep Cutler or cut Cutler based on its own merits. If you think Cutler is going to be worth $21.7M in 2020, then you must be overvaluing Cutler. Even without the guaranteed money albatross, its hard to envision the Bears getting good ROI on Cutler's remaining contract years.

I don't think any team is going to trade for Cutler...the Bears aren't going to keep him around if he's not the starter, because he makes too much money. I could see a team picking up Cutler after he is waived, but I doubt any NFL team would give up an asset to acquire Cutler.

Cutler still has 4 years left on his deal, with the final two years being upwards of $20M/yr. How long do you think the Bears would be keeping Cutler around? My guess would be maybe 1 more year, 2 years max. And if that is the case, and you are planning on keeping Cutler anyways, then it would make sense to lower his annual salary, decrease the length of the contract (void the last 2-3 years), and increase his guaranteed money. I'm not sure what the Bears are 'losing' by doing this.

But I am sure you can explain your posting.

I think that based on the expansion of the cap that Cutlers cost is not untenable. Especially without guarantees. We have control finally of the shitty contract, by waiting out the guaranteed money. I wouldn't mind if he stuck around, especially if we keep Fox and Loggains. If we started over with a new offensive minded coach I would get a QB early in the draft.

All of this will play out over the last half of the season depending entirely on the results of the team.

Limp Ditka

Liked Posts:
Wouldn't mind keeping jay, drafting his replacement and maybe pulling off a Sam Bradford type deal next year when someones QB goes down.

Mongo_76

Liked Posts:
I was replying to what Rory said and that's all i was doing. I'm not some big salary cap guy who knows exactly how it works so it was just me simply making a comment to what another poster said and then you felt like you had to jump in and call me dumb so eat a dick if you wanna come at me that way.

I find that not only do you know little about the cap or player contracts, you know little about football in general.

There are some fans who should just watch the sport and enjoy their blissful ignorance - meanwhile shutting the fuck up.

Smokey Robinson

Liked Posts:
While anything is possible, I highly doubt it. If he is willing to play for what Hoyer does then sure but it's hard to justify his contract when you get similar play, and results for a fraction of the cost.

I do feel this is the year the Bears finally bring in the future.

satchice

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
While anything is possible, I highly doubt it. If he is willing to play for what Hoyer does then sure but it's hard to justify his contract when you get similar play, and results for a fraction of the cost.

I do feel this is the year the Bears finally bring in the future.

Thats another good question! How much is Hoyer going to want? Certainly he had the best run of his career. Dare i say McCownesqe and we all seen that old man get paid and pack his bags.. I would guess Hoyer should command at least a 10 maybe 14Mil 2 year deal. I don't think we keep both next year.

SlipScreen

Liked Posts:
I hope not I am done with the Jay Cutler experiment, I just think we could get "good" QB play from another QB for less than what we are paying Cutler. And yes i think Cutler had a "good" day on monday night. i know people say "he beat the 5-1 vikings" and im like did you watch the game? did the Vikings look like a 5-1 team to you? i don't know how that team got to 5-1 they looked worse than we have this year.

i think you keep Hoyer, or some other journeyman QB to come in and play next year while coaching up a rookie QB.

mecha

Liked Posts:
I think grading the performances of pre-injury Jay Cutler to Brian Hoyer to post-injury Jay Cutler is tricky if only because the offenses were completely different in each period. I can't rationalize why Meredith got more catches than Jeffery, or why the offense and conversely offensive line were so much better because Howard was getting carries instead of Langford.

in other words, I wouldn't discount Hoyer as a morbid piece of shit because Loggains is calling things entirely different. remember everyone was shitting on him in preseason saying he was a horrible signing until he was starting; everyone was then enamored with the stats until they realized they weren't scoring as much. how the fuck a quarterback can excel between the 20s and seemingly just can't put one up in the endzone is a bit baffling to me.

I'm on board with Hoyer + rookie. and if it's Cutler + rookie, then who gives a shit. I'll feel bad Hoyer gets dropped again, I don't think he deserves to be on 6 different teams when you have guys like Cutler not only run uncontested but get a massive contract extension for essentially doing nothing.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
I think the teams' recent actions have said enough about how they feel about him....and he knows it. He's as good as gone. And now when he's already half out the door he decides he's gona rise up and carry the team on his back and give motivational halftime speeches. Figures.

What actions??

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
What is wrong with Bears fans? They truly must be the most Special person fans on the planet. 2 weeks ago, Cutler was on his way out the door and nobody gave a damn. They had all seen enough during his long miserable unsuccessful tenure with the Bears. Then he throws a single TD pass in a game while Jordan Howard runs wild and suddenly the Bears are expected to retain him? I guess Jay Cutler ain't the only one in Chicago who doesn't want to stick around for the post season play.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
I find that not only do you know little about the cap or player contracts, you know little about football in general.

There are some fans who should just watch the sport and enjoy their blissful ignorance - meanwhile shutting the fuck up.

I know more about the game of football now then you'll ever know. The big difference with me and you is that you come on here all the time making up lies to act like you have some inside info which everyone on here knows you don't and i'm just brutally honest and speak the truth.

Liars suck in life.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I think grading the performances of pre-injury Jay Cutler to Brian Hoyer to post-injury Jay Cutler is tricky if only because the offenses were completely different in each period. I can't rationalize why Meredith got more catches than Jeffery, or why the offense and conversely offensive line were so much better because Howard was getting carries instead of Langford.

in other words, I wouldn't discount Hoyer as a morbid piece of shit because Loggains is calling things entirely different. remember everyone was shitting on him in preseason saying he was a horrible signing until he was starting; everyone was then enamored with the stats until they realized they weren't scoring as much. how the fuck a quarterback can excel between the 20s and seemingly just can't put one up in the endzone is a bit baffling to me.

I'm on board with Hoyer + rookie. and if it's Cutler + rookie, then who gives a shit. I'll feel bad Hoyer gets dropped again, I don't think he deserves to be on 6 different teams when you have guys like Cutler not only run uncontested but get a massive contract extension for essentially doing nothing.

Because defenses tighten up in the red zone when they only have a small area to defend. There's more space to make safe, high percentage passes and for the receiver to get YAC between the 20s. Attacking a defense in the red zone often requires the QB to do more with the ball. Hoyer doesn't have the arm talent to zip a fast ball into a tight window or make a back shoulder throw to the corner of the EZ with velocity before the defender can react and make a play on the ball.

Not that Cutler is particularly consistent in pulling it off either, but he has the physical ability to, far more than Hoyer does.

da_bears6

Liked Posts:
I think Hoyer is a little too passive in the red zone.

That ball Jay winged at Jeffery that went through his hands is probably a throw Hoyer doesn't make because he was pretty much covered but once Jeffery boxed out the DB Jay had the arm to squeeze it in.

SlipScreen

Liked Posts:
What is wrong with Bears fans? They truly must be the most Special person fans on the planet. 2 weeks ago, Cutler was on his way out the door and nobody gave a damn. They had all seen enough during his long miserable unsuccessful tenure with the Bears. Then he throws a single TD pass in a game while Jordan Howard runs wild and suddenly the Bears are expected to retain him? I guess Jay Cutler ain't the only one in Chicago who doesn't want to stick around for the post season play.

not only that Dowell Loggains is now the greatest offensive coordinator of all time.