Winners and Losers CBS Nfl Draft

Chicago Staleys

Realist
Liked Posts:
In 2019 the Bears struggled to create pts, sacks, and interceptions.

They draft a big TE that can be a Redzone threat.

They draft a CB that has quick feet and sticky coverage

They draft a 3rd pass rusher that compliments Mack and Quinn

They draft a ball hawking DB.

They draft one of the fastest WRs in the draft.

They did all this with little draft capital entering day 2.

Liked Posts:
We got a few future starters with no top picks. Good draft IMO.

They better than just that too, I think. I like Gipson. Mingo is hot garbage. I think Gipson will be a fine situational passrusher down the stretch.

Lord of the Rings there, Vildor or Vidor, whaterver the fk his name is, looks like good Nickle DB to replace Callahan. I will not be shocked if he nails down the nickle DB slot on the D.C. before seasons end.

The only thing I was hoping for that wasnt done differently, was I did want an OT somewhere with a mid round pick, that projected to OG at the pro level.

Outside of that, I think Pace did fine. Its not a mind blowing class but Id give him an overall B grade.

I think thats fair enough until players prove they can sink or swim.

Noonthirtyjoe

Liked Posts:

You forgot Pace sucks. Outside of that nice post.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
I don’t get it. The offense stinks and one of the glaring holes was te and it’s been potentially fixed. Does this fix everything? Nope hell no? Does it make pace a good gm? Hell no. Show me a team that is 100% ready to go for 2020 season there is no such thing. Every team has a hole on it that wasn’t able to be fixed. There is only so many picks and draft capital every offseason that can upgrade a team

As long as there's a cap teams will always have holes and there will always be a cap.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Well mate you have more faith than I do that 147year old Jimmy Graham and Demetrius Harris will do much to address the lack of quality at the position. Fingers crossed though!!

It's remy, remy hates pace, remy shits on anything pace does.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:

We won't know how any teams draft went for a couple years...but the Bears did draft for need and came away with a round 1 talent CB and the top TE in the second round. Under the circumstances it is hard to initially complain about this draft.

Leomaz

Pissing people off the right way!
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
  2. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Yup. Fans have preconceived notions of who to draft and when and often fail to understand that drafts are fluid. You make your choices based on many factors including who you expect to be there with your following picks. Not drafting OL in 2 is pissing some off but for me, if you're not getting a LT potential guy or 1st round talent, don't draft them there unless it's a weak draft elsewhere or the cupboard is bare. Daniels was considered late 1st round talent and our cupboard was bare so easy but remember that Pace traded down twice before taking Whitehair. I'm a firm believer that good scouting and coaching can create a starting G out of a late round T. Takes a year or 2 but if you're not desperate...
Mark Bortz was a defensive lineman that they converted to guard.....it can happen

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Mark Bortz was a defensive lineman that they converted to guard.....it can happen
True but college T to NFL G is not that sort of rarity. Actually pretty common. Whitehair probably had the best T season in the country before being drafted.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Fairly certain CBS was the outlet that was really high on bullard and said he would be the best player we got in the 2016 draft by a wide margin.

That didn't work out....

Grading drafts until at least 2 years down the road is dumb. Shit, usually it takes 3-4 years. Sometimes a player can take a while to develop, sometimes a player is fools gold and has one good year. The only thing you can really "grade" is if a team got value and didn't do dumb shit.

Alpha Male

Liked Posts:
I think we were losers last year too according to the critics. I think it has more to do with not having a 1st round pick.

Usually the winners have multiple 1st rounders and/or plenty of picks throughout...

Not really a fair comparison
Last year was a shitty draft though.

Alpha Male

Liked Posts:
You can't grade a draft after 1 year.

Most 3rd day picks don't see heavy action year 1.
It's shaping up to be a shitty draft. Montgomery may be ok. Don't think he has a high ceiling though. Doubt any of those guys break out and become anything special.

msadows

Liked Posts:
It's shaping up to be a shitty draft. Montgomery may be ok. Don't think he has a high ceiling though. Doubt any of those guys break out and become anything special.

Ridley literally redshirted. We knew it would happen before the season.....

Monty had no oline.

The rest of the dudes were late rounders.

You expect 6th and 7th rounders to play day 1? A lot of them don't even make their teams.

You must have some lofty expectations, guy.

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
It looks like the most 'meh' draft I've ever seen by the Bears and that's saying something with the Bears draft history. We needed help on offense by far and ended up with three defensive players with our first 4 picks - a big fat MEH from me. This looks like a Phil Emery draft class.

And that’s my biggest gripe. Bears offense continues to hold this team back year after year, and they spend 3/4 picks on defense. Those players may be great and maybe Johnson turns into a great player, but is that going to make a difference in wins and losses next year?

Who knows, maybe the off season changes play out. There’s a good chance we see exactly what we did last year though... an offense that struggles to put up 20 points a game, and a worn out defense that’s on the field the entire game.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
You can't grade a draft after 1 year.

Most 3rd day picks don't see heavy action year 1.
No, but you can grade an off season a few months into the season, and the draft is a big part of the off season. The question is, are the 2020 Bears better than the 2019 Bears? Will they have more wins? None of the Bears draft picks moved the meter at all in that regard, although they may all go on to be future HOF players. or all busts, who knows.

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Loser: Bears

The tight end position was not a pressing need so it is hard to justify....

Lemme stop & make a point from OP's source right there.

As I said while calling out Louis Riddick for saying this,

...anybody who thinks TE wasn't a pressing need is blind to the fact that there IS a difference between a Y and a U TE. Jimmy Graham (while overpaid), solves one hole, but another remains. The 9 other TE's are = throwing shit at a wall and clearly Bears don't see anything that was worth of sticking as a dependable starter.

Anyone remember that crazy kicker competition? Having 10 kickers did NOT automatically mean the problem was solved. If anything it proved it was a position of need they were trying to solve. Same with now for TE. This statement of "not being a pressing need" is a nice steaming serving of dumbassery.

That is all I wanted to point out. Carry on discussion for the rest.

mecha

Liked Posts:
Lemme stop & make a point from OP's source right there.

As I said while calling out Louis Riddick for saying this,

...anybody who thinks TE wasn't a pressing need is blind to the fact that there IS a difference between a Y and a U TE. Jimmy Graham (while overpaid), solves one hole, but another remains. The 9 other TE's are = throwing shit at a wall and clearly Bears don't see anything that was worth of sticking as a dependable starter.

Anyone remember that crazy kicker competition? Having 10 kickers did NOT automatically mean the problem was solved. If anything it proved it was a position of need they were trying to solve. Same with now for TE. This statement of "not being a pressing need" is a nice steaming serving of dumbassery.

That is all I wanted to point out. Carry on discussion for the rest.

was kicker actually resolved? I remember Piñeiro struggling early in the season, I think he got better.

it took a lot of capital to get the team to its 2018 status. we'll see what happens I guess.

Midway Fields

CCS Quarterback Guru
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
The 1st round value WRs were gone. At that point you might as well wait on a deep position in this draft. Mooney is a lot like Hamler with better ball skills. Less physical but a little guy in the nfl is a little guy either way. Solid LT prospects were gone. If other needs aren't there to pick , other OL spots are fine but not a great value unless a top guy drops.

The other position that could have been a high value selection is safety with Delpit. I get why some were pissed we didn't select him but for this team the right TE is a lot more valuable than a SS and Kmet was not a reach. By taking Kmet at 43 instead of 50, which is about where I'd slot him, the Bear were very likely going to get one of Johnson, Delpit or Diggs at 50 and 2 were still there. There were no offensive alternates to Kmet and good chance he'd be gone by 50. Hamler is a lot like what we got later and Claypool is a guy.

They should have taken Mims!

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
There is a difference between a pressing need and a need.

Let's be honest here. If Pace got an OL instead of TE, many here would say that Graham, Harris, and the 7 other TEs were suffcient.

It is also quite possible given TEs sometimes struggle early that Kmet will not beat out Grraham and Harris initially. So it is quite possibly we drafted a 3rd TE in the 2nd round.