Won't Win The Cup.

WCulbertson

Grammer Po-Po
Liked Posts:
I'll be the 1st to admit that I've only been a fan since the strike and Chicago drafted Kaner and I love this team. But unfortunately I've lost hope for this season.This team is WAY too inconsistent to win the Cup. They're losing games at home which shouldn't happen.

The goalie situation has been hit or miss (shutout or blowout) all season with Huet and Niemi and that isn't going to get it done. But it's not only the goalies, the defense has gotten soft for some reason and our powerplay is mediocre at best.

I think were going to have to look forward to next season where hopefully the Olympics won't interrupt what could be a special season.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
I still say they do. All they have to do is get past Vancouver. All the teams I thought could beat us besides Vancouver are either eliminated or losing their series, namely Washington, Detroit, and Phoenix.

ButchCrassidy

Liked Posts:
South Side of Chicago (formerly of 87th, currently
Are you forgetting San Jose and the defending champion Penguins? They aren't exactly chumps...

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
It's going to be tough, but this team is capable of doing it.

ButchCrassidy

Liked Posts:
It's funny how people were clamoring for Niemi, as if he was a Vezina-like goalie during the season. Let's be real. The guy was named the #1 not because of exceptional play, but because Huet stunk it up. That should worry Blackhawks fans.

tbo41fan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Arizona Wildcats
I'll be the 1st to admit that I've only been a fan since the strike and Chicago drafted Kaner and I love this team. But unfortunately I've lost hope for this season.This team is WAY too inconsistent to win the Cup. They're losing games at home which shouldn't happen.

The goalie situation has been hit or miss (shutout or blowout) all season with Huet and Niemi and that isn't going to get it done. But it's not only the goalies, the defense has gotten soft for some reason and our powerplay is mediocre at best.

I think were going to have to look forward to next season where hopefully the Olympics won't interrupt what could be a special season.

I disagree,
Detroit when they were dominant lost game 1's at home all the time, its not the end of the world.

Yes, I agree the Olympics did damage us a little because Keith hasnt been the same since the olympics.

Also, I think Niemi has been better than numbers show. When he is on the ice, the team has confidence they can win every game, when Huet was on the ice, if a goal or two went in, they knew it wasnt likely they would win. You can see it in their body language in both cases.

I still say they do. All they have to do is get past Vancouver. All the teams I thought could beat us besides Vancouver are either eliminated or losing their series, namely Washington, Detroit, and Phoenix.

I agree

It's funny how people were clamoring for Niemi, as if he was a Vezina-like goalie during the season. Let's be real. The guy was named the #1 not because of exceptional play, but because Huet stunk it up. That should worry Blackhawks fans.
I disagree, Niemi (when he got to play) was out performing Huet, so yes, it was because of exceptional play. At one point in the season, Niemi had played half the games of Huet but had only 1 less shutout. Niemi was top 10 in NHL in GAA and 12th in Save %. I dont think anybody had aspirations of him being a Vezina nominee, but teams before (Red Wings) have shown that you can win with decent and OCCASIONALLY great goaltending (Osgood was by no means a vezina trophy candidate in the playoffs, but played well enough to win) and this is exactly what Niemi brings.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
give me anyone of those teams from the east. i dont think we get that far but if we do, il take my chances.

NVgoldrush12

Liked Posts:
I feel fine about the teams in the east. it's the rest of the teams in the west (whether it be Vancouver, Detroit, or San Jose) that i'm not as comfortable with.
I'm not saying we will or we won't get farther, just taking it game by game and trying not to make assumptions. If we win this series, the next won't be much easier, and if we get there, neither will the last.

Niemi has been great and he has been bad, but people also have to take into account how the entire TEAM is playing when we have huge blowouts. You can't blame the goalie for letting in pucks, if the defense isn't doing their job. Yes, he has let in some bad, soft goals, but other times he's being screened by a player (sometimes even one of our own) and is working what he's been given. Also, the offense needs to make their shots. How many breakaways have been lost? Heck, last night alone Eager, Burish, (maybe Sharp or someone else, don't remember) missed on those opportunities.

When he is on the ice, the team has confidence they can win every game, when Huet was on the ice, if a goal or two went in, they knew it wasnt likely they would win. You can see it in their body language in both cases.
Completely agree, I do feel like the team has a bit more confidence when he's in the net and Huet isn't.

"And that's all I have to say about that."

ButchCrassidy

Liked Posts:
Never said Niemi didn't play well, but let's not kid ourselves and act as if Niemi has been the clear #1 all season long. It seemed like when Huet was giving up goals left and right, it was all his fault. He was clearly the whipping boy when things went wrong on the ice. When Niemi would have the same problem every once in a while, all of a sudden, people started to notice turnovers committed by the d-men, a lack of execution on the power play, plus a little too much finesse play. With the money Huet's making (WAY overpaid), he didn't have much room for error...

BigP50

04-21-2012
Liked Posts:
If they win games 3 and 4 in this series I think they win it all because that tells me they can win huge games in amazing environments.

deiter

Liked Posts:
I think that you're all failing to acknowledge the general inexperience of the team. The Stanley Cup Playoffs are an entirely different animal from the regular season. I think that the hawks have as much talent as any team in hockey, and definitely the best young talent. I think that Chicago can rest assured that their beloved Blackhawks will win a Stanley Cup within the next three years: they're just not quite there yet.

tbo41fan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Arizona Wildcats
I think that you're all failing to acknowledge the general inexperience of the team. The Stanley Cup Playoffs are an entirely different animal from the regular season. I think that the hawks have as much talent as any team in hockey, and definitely the best young talent. I think that Chicago can rest assured that their beloved Blackhawks will win a Stanley Cup within the next three years: they're just not quite there yet.

only inexperience i see is Niemi.

Madden and a few other players have won cups before and most of these guys were here last year with our deep run in the playoffs

tbo41fan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Arizona Wildcats
Niemi has played pretty solid IMO, a couple of the goals tonight he had no chance on...if he plays at this pace, he will be fine

BigP50

04-21-2012
Liked Posts:
The way we have handled this series after being down 1-0 leads me to believe that we will win the Cup!

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Niemi has played pretty solid IMO, a couple of the goals tonight he had no chance on...if he plays at this pace, he will be fine

niemi looks like he has been here before. so weird

BigP50

04-21-2012
Liked Posts:
He's playing with a lot of confidence!

tbo41fan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Arizona Wildcats
Niemi is outplaying Luongo and Vigneault even admitted that "Luongo is the second best goalie on the ice"

OUCH!

tbo41fan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Arizona Wildcats
If Vancouvers own coach is saying he's playing worse than Niemi, thats a hell of a compliment for Niemi

WCulbertson

Grammer Po-Po
Liked Posts:
Wow, what a series. I didn't expect the 'Hawks to pull it out. I still don't think they'll make it to the Cup let alone win it. The Sharks aren't looking like the normal "playoff Sharks."

Although maybe it's good that the Blackhawks are on the road, they are playing like utter crap at home. The United Center is not very kind to the 'Hawks. Just look up their numbers at home for the last few years. Not impressive.