Would Pace Still Take Justin Fields If He Had the #2 Pick?

Luke

Liked Posts:
Trubisky was the consensus #1 QB in 2017, we all see how that unfortunately turned out, so take it for what it is worth. Just hope Fields ends up being the one and doesn't have any legally compromising fetishes.

From a prognostication standpoint, 2017 and 2021 were completely different.
Trubs, Watson and Mahommes all had late 1st round grades whiles Trubs and Watson were 50/50 as the #1 QB choice.
This year, Lawrence was the universal #1 choice while Wilson was nearly the same as #2 then it was Fields/Lance, Lance/Fields as #3 and #4. Some GM's actually had Jones #3 as did Chris Simms.
Fortunately, prognostication and eventual NFL success do not go hand in hand so whether JF was selected 1st or 11th really doesn't mean a damn thing as far as his future NFL success is concerned.

benplace

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think Wilson should have went #1. He will end up the best QB out of this class in 10 years. Not saying the others are going to do bad. A lot of people will say "Yea, but Wilson is on the Jets" But a lot of non Bear fans will say the same about Fields.
I honestly don't expect any of these QBs to shine in year 1 but I think Fields has the best chance.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
From a prognostication standpoint, 2017 and 2021 were completely different.
Trubs, Watson and Mahommes all had late 1st round grades whiles Trubs and Watson were 50/50 as the #1 QB choice.
This year, Lawrence was the universal #1 choice while Wilson was nearly the same as #2 then it was Fields/Lance, Lance/Fields as #3 and #4. Some GM's actually had Jones #3 as did Chris Simms.
Fortunately, prognostication and eventual NFL success do not go hand in hand so whether JF was selected 1st or 11th really doesn't mean a damn thing as far as his future NFL success is concerned.
There you go with all those facts again. Geez Louise.
If we moved to #2, took Wilson and then I saw this, I'd worry that we pulled another Mitch even though Wilson has the talent.

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm so deep in this shit I would be advocating to take Fields with the #1 pick. He has what it takes to be a legend.

I love Fields, but taking him ahead of Lawrence would have got you fired

BearClaw55

GO BEARS
Donator
Liked Posts:
It was more than just posters. Charlie Casserly polled 24 GM's and everyone had Wilson as the 2nd choice.
As a matter of fact, Fields was a lukewarm 3rd choice over Lance and then Jones according to the GM's.
Several boards - Jeremiah, NFL.com, Scouts Inc. had Lance 3rd and Fields 4th which coincidentally was the way they were drafted.
Some people just don't want the Fields teabag fest to end.
Charlie Casserly is full of it. I don’t believe 24 GMs gave Casserly that info. Casserly has been wrong on QBs every year, starting with the year he drafted David Carr with the #1 pick. Wilson has done nothing in college to come close to being rated over Justin Fields. The only QB I would of been ok with taking over Fields is Lance (only because of his big upside) & that still is a gamble.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Wilson has the most arm talent in this draft. GMs are not immune from entering fanboi mode when it comes to QBs.
He did miss some reads but the more I watched him, it wasn't something to be concerned about.

Last edited:

BearClaw55

GO BEARS
Donator
Liked Posts:
Wilson has the most arm talent in this draft. GMs are not immune from entering fanboi mode when it comes to QBs.
He did miss some reads but the more I watched him, it wasn't something to be concerned about.

Really? He doesn’t have the strongest (Trey Lance) or most accurate (Justin Fields) arm in this draft class. Him having the most arm talent is some made up BS.

Luke

Liked Posts:
Really? He doesn’t have the strongest (Trey Lance) or most accurate (Justin Fields) arm in this draft class. Him having the most arm talent is some made up BS.

2020 stats

Jones 77.4, 11.2 ypa. int % .0099
Wilson 73.5, 11.0 ypa, int % .0089
Fields 70.2, 9.3 ypa, int % .0266

enjoy your JF teabag fest

BearClaw55

GO BEARS
Donator
Liked Posts:
2020 stats

Jones 77.4, 11.2 ypa. int % .0099
Wilson 73.5, 11.0 ypa, int % .0089
Fields 70.2, 9.3 ypa, int % .0266

enjoy your JF teabag fest

Deep ball accuracy. Not that dink and dunk BS vs weak college talent.

Justin Fields was the most accurate deep ball passer in college football. Justin Fields had one of the highest accuracy ratings in the country last year, per PFF. However, when you adjust for the target depth, it is even more impressive. Last season Fields had a 10.4 average depth of target.”

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Fields is as strong and accurate as anyone or at least as required for any throw but arm talent goes to off platform throwing, arm angles available and ability to crossbody etc. That Wilson doesn't have any real negs to diminish his throwing also played into that. I think Fields and Wilson should have been ranked near equally in this draft and the only reason Wilson went 2nd is his arm talent. Thanks god that there was a Wilson and Lance in this draft. Only way Fields gets outside the top 10 in any draft.

That said, I think Fields is a bit of a victim of trying to stay home and play within the O as designed. Why we didn't see as much improvising or running out of sacks while waiting on WRs. Bodes well for his future. He translates well to early success at the next level and will still get better with reps.

Last edited:

BearClaw55

GO BEARS
Donator
Liked Posts:
Fields is at minimum the #2 QB & it has been that way for the last two years. I don’t let the last second draft over analysis affect what the eye test showed us.

BearClaw55

GO BEARS
Donator
Liked Posts:
Fields is as strong and accurate as anyone or at least required for any throw but arm talent goes to off platform throwing, arm angles available and ability to crossbody etc. I think Fields and Wilson should have been ranked near equally in this draft but the only reason Wilson went 2nd is his arm talent.

Pace said that he choose Trubisky because he could make what he called funny body throws (off balance). Lets see what Wilson does vs top tier talent under pressure. Throwing balls side arm doesn’t me jack to me. Fields showed what he could do under fire vs top talent with his arm.

BearClaw55

GO BEARS
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't give a rats ass about how Wilson might fair under pressure.
I'm much more concerned about how JF plays under pressure.

Don’t worry Fields is a big game player. Wilson hasn’t shown that yet. We will see how Wilson fairs vs teams much better then Coastal Carolina.

Lets put some context behind those stats.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Pace said that he choose Trubisky because he could make what he called funny body throws (off balance). Lets see what Wilson does vs top tier talent under pressure. Throwing balls side arm doesn’t me jack to me. Fields showed what he could do under fire vs top talent with his arm.
Like your/my opinion means jack either, LOL.

Last edited:

BearClaw55

GO BEARS
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't give a rats ass about how Wilson might fair under pressure.
I'm much more concerned about how JF plays under pressure.

BTW Trubisky had better so called QBR (accuracy) stats then Watson that final college year. Once Mitch got in the big boy league that all went to hell. Don’t over think it. Fields is the more proven & better product.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
It does & I will be sure to remind you after what I already know comes to fruition.
I have no doubt and when did I say Wilson will have a better career or was a better pick? I explained why teams looked at him as the 2nd QB and stated Fields was right there. You're chasing windmills with comments like that.

I mean, you seem slighted that Fields wasn't picked 2nd. I'm sure happy about it.

This comparison is closer to Watson vs Mahomes that Mitch vs either. I preferred Mahomes in that compare. I think this one is closer to even. I believe we both got that draft wrong overall though at the time, I didn't think any worth #3. (oops)

Last edited:

BearClaw55

GO BEARS
Donator
Liked Posts:
Don’t worry Fields is a big game player. Wilson hasn’t shown that yet. We will see how Wilson fairs vs teams much better then Coastal Carolina.

Lets put some context behind those stats.

Explosive plays is what the Bears lacked because Trubisky couldn’t throw deep with accuracy. So give me the QB that had better deep ball accuracy & played in a big boy league over draft hype Wilson. Deep ball accuracy is important in the NFL.