Would Pace Still Take Justin Fields If He Had the #2 Pick?

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Explosive plays is what the Bears lacked because Trubisky couldn’t throw deep with accuracy. So give me the QB that had better deep ball accuracy & played in a big boy league over draft hype Wilson. Deep ball accuracy is important in the NFL.
In 2020 Fields hit 68.8% of balls thrown over 30 air yards. Wilson, 74.1. I don't think the practical difference is a big deal but you're barking up the wrong tree,
I think systems plays a lot into this. Fields also had low RAC yards and we know hitting guys in stride isn't an issue. It's that he didn't benefit from a lot of plays designed for early releases.

Last edited:
Liked Posts:
I dont know. I know I wouldnt have minded if he did. Im still having trouble finding where Fields "underperformed"..

I liked all of the top 5 drafted QBs. I think that either one of Fields or Lawrence were worthy of the top pick in the draft.

I believe that Fields is a QB that you can check every box with. Is the arm strength and accuracy present? Yes. Are the mechanics present? Yes. Is the good decision making apparent? Yes. Is the pocket presence there? Yes. Is the athleticism present? Yes. Are the leadership qualities present? Looks as if his teammates reponded positively to me. Did he have consistent success against legitimate competitors? Yes. Is the statistical production present? Yes.

By all indications Fields is a check every box talent that the Bears very well would have at least been able to justify taking.

I DONT believe the media rumors that Fields "dogs" it. I WHOLEHEARTEDLY believe that with SOME players teams leak bogus rumors to the media in hopes that a players stock drops. From "Cocaine" Dan in the 1983 draft to Fields supposedly dogging it for the 2021 draft. Remember that the competition doesnt end at the Super Bowls final whistle.

You know, those teams that really need a certain talent but initially appear to be just out of reach of picking that talent. Kind of like the 1983 Dolphins and the 2021 Bears appeared to be. But thats here nor there.

Would have Pace taken him had he had the 2nd pick? IDK. Should he have with a potential 2nd pick? I wouldve.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

jive

Liked Posts:
I'm fairly certain that's there has been no other QB drafted by the Bears in the last few decades that the fans would be excited to take at #2 than Justin Fields. Many groaned at Trubisky at #2. I don't think anyone would have wanted Grossman, McNown, or Harbaugh at #2. I really do think that getting him at #11 was an outright steal.

BradyJay

Liked Posts:
I don't know who's with me...I don't watch much college football but I'm taking Fields #1 overall. Something seems off w/ that dork Lawrence imo. Nothing seems off with Fields...

Last edited:

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Thankfully we didn't have the #2 pick, so Pace didn't have a chance to fuck it up. Well, I guess he did. But Fields over Mac Jones feels like a no-brainer, especially for the system that Nagy runs.

Also, I'm not convinced that Trevor Lawrence is a better QB prospect than Justin Fields. Fingers crossed that we got the best QB in the draft.

Tee

Beast Mode
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Houston Cougars
I think Pace would have still taken Justin Fields if the Bears had the #2 pick. I think he has a bad taste in his mouth from Trubisky, so he would avoid Lance and Wilson. Justin Fields is just more proven and experienced against top competition in college. He also seems to fit Nagy's scheme better. From the film I've watched, he not only has the abillity to run the RPO, but the ability to read when to take off with the ball as well. Some of the plays he ran, like mesh plays, are in the range of Nagy's scheme. He has the arm to push the vertical game, and his athleticism would give him something to tinker with.

If we had the #2 pick, and Pace took Justin Fields, I would have no problem with it. I'd still be excited.
i also agree with you. Fields is just on another level. what sets him apart is that DESIRE to be great. Mitch's desire was just stay healthy and boring!!

by the end of these Rookies career. Fields will have more accolades.

Liked Posts:

The thing that bugs me with that article is that theyre piling onto the misconception that Fields has shotty decision making, or more specifically "struggles with progressions", which is a load of crap.

OSU likes to work some 12 formations that expect the QB to get the ball out quick to one of the first 2 reads. Of the TE & HB one of the two will often be blocking(not always) the other will be the HOT.

When OSU isnt running some 12, theye mostly running a WC offense where Fields has little apparent problem going through his progressions.

That isnt to say he wont have problems at the pro level with a faster pace. You can go to YouTube and watch any game you want now & Im not seeing this "decision making problem" at the collegiate level.

If anyone thinks political media is bad, sports media is even worse. The Adam Schefter fiasco around Aaron Rodgers is a shining example.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The thing that bugs me with that article is that theyre piling onto the misconception that Fields has shotty decision making, or more specifically "struggles with progressions", which is a load of crap.

OSU likes to work some 12 formations that expect the QB to get the ball out quick to one of the first 2 reads. Of the TE & HB one of the two will often be blocking(not always) the other will be the HOT.

When OSU isnt running some 12, theye mostly running a WC offense where Fields has little apparent problem going through his progressions.

That isnt to say he wont have problems at the pro level with a faster pace. You can go to YouTube and watch any game you want now & Im not seeing this "decision making problem" at the collegiate level.

If anyone thinks political media is bad, sports media is even worse. The Adam Schefter fiasco around Aaron Rodgers is a shining example.
I agree but I think the amount of sacks he took reinforced that impression for a lot of scouts and draft prognosticators. Had he tucked and ran more, it wouldn't be brought up and something that doesn't translate as well to the NFL would have put him in higher overall regard. Fields staying with the play actually hurt his status. That said, he does need to peak at the rush more often.

Liked Posts:
I agree but I think the amount of sacks he took reinforced that impression for a lot of scouts and draft prognosticators. Had he tucked and ran more, it wouldn't be brought up and something that doesn't translate as well to the NFL would have put him in higher overall regard. Fields staying with the play actually hurt his status. That said, he does need to peak at the rush more often.
Kind of a catch 22. Had tucked and ran more, the beatniks would say that he tucks and runs too much because he struggles with progressions.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Kind of a catch 22. Had tucked and ran more, the beatniks would say that he tucks and runs too much because he struggles with progressions.
People tend to see what they want and it's just as true for GMs and scouts. Lance did just that and went sooner.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
If he had the #2 pick, Pace would have traded up to #1 to take Fields.