Would this stat line convince you Fields is the guy?

Bust

Liked Posts:
The defense also needs to stop blowing leads.

Bears O (when season wasn't dead) had least 3++ games where they got the ball with over a minute on the clock to drive it and win.

Justin failed each and everytime. Those games turn into W's does a lot for individual mojo and team morale.

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:
Bears O (when season wasn't dead) had least 3++ games where they got the ball with over a minute on the clock to drive it and win.

Justin failed each and everytime. Those games turn into W's does a lot for individual mojo and team morale.
There were also several games where the Bears had lead only for the defense to blow it. Those games turn into W’s does a lot for individual mojo and team morale.

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
Imagine being satisfied with a QB who averaged 188 yards passing per game.

That's the standard Bears fans have for their QB 188 yards per game is acceptable in his third year with the team.
He puts more effort into being a Quarterback than you do into your writing. You genuinely put an "article" to publish with a semicolon in the word "may."

BaBaBlacksheep

Jordan Sigler Super Fan
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

Which games are you referring to?

Bust

Liked Posts:
There were also several games where the Bears had lead only for the defense to blow it. Those games turn into W’s does a lot for individual mojo and team morale.

Like the Chiefs D blowing it vs the Bills in the afc championship? With but 13 seconds left in regulation Mahomes drove the team right back for a tying fieldgoal, lol

Raise the bar bear fans, the era of winning ballgames 13-9 and counting on your defense to hold the lead is over, lol

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:
Like the Chiefs D blowing it vs the Bills in the afc championship? With but 13 seconds left in regulation Mahomes drove the team right back for a tying fieldgoal, lol

Raise the bar bear fans, the era of winning ballgames 13-9 and counting on your defense to hold the lead is over, lol

Why are you comparing two better teams to the Bears. We are specifically talking about the Bears. They were an overall bad team last year. Both sides of the ball blew games.

Spitta Andretti

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

Its nice you forget that those wins would have hurt more than helped in the long run. Players don't tank but GMs certainly help it along

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Fields finished last year with 2,242 passing yards, 17 passing TDs and 12 INTs.

He had a 60% completion percentage, and an 85 passer rating.

Let’s say he made a big jump passing and went something like:
3,200+ passing yards
24 passing TDs
12 INTs
67% completion percentage
95+ passer rating

I realize that’s not the ceiling we all hope for, but that would be quite the jump. If he did that this year, would it convince you he’s the guy?
It's not just the numbers he puts up but the question of can he win games making plays with his arm at the end of games with a game winning drive for me. I want a QB that can take a team to the super bowl and win it, not just one that can win me games in fantasy football putting up good/great numbers every week.

gallagher

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats

I would bet that one of those games you are referencing was the October game against the Vikings, where Chicago was driving, Fields delivered the ball to Ihmir Smith-Marsette, who then gave the ball up to the Vikings defense. In the video you linked later in this thread, Mahommes hits Hill for a glorified screen play and then hits the best TE in the game in the chest, who goes down to keep time on the clock. YAC plays where his receivers made the difference to put the team into FG position...

Is one of those games the Commanders game? Fields hit his receivers in the hands twice in the redzone with what could have been the game-winner.

Is one of those games the dolphins shootout, where Fields was the only player on offense making a difference in the game?

I dont think we need to fool ourselves into the idea that Fields is already the greatest QB possible, he obviously has to grow a lot to even be offered a second contract here, but you need to do a lot more to support your claim.

gpphat

2020 CCS Fantasy Football Champ (ESPN League)
Donator
CCS Overall Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Virginia Commonwealth Rams

3,200+ passing yards
24 passing TDs
12 INTs
95+ passer rating

I realize that’s not the ceiling we all hope for, but that would be quite the jump. If he did that this year, would it convince you he’s the guy?
If we are talking just stats and not win-loss record...I am fine with those numbers assuming his rushing stats are similar to last year. Hell Jalen Hurts had 3700 yards passing and 22 passing TD's and he was an MVP candidate.

but as other said, those numbers with a losing record or missing playoffs don't mean shit.

Bust

Liked Posts:
but you need to do a lot more to support your claim.

I mean fields finished the season 31st in COMPLETION PERCENTAGE while leading the team to a 10 game loss streak followed by the #1 pick overall.

but yea these don't mean anything. all pointless stats.

It's great be a pro qb in chicago. The bar is set so LOW

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
If we are talking just stats and not win-loss record...I am fine with those numbers assuming his rushing stats are similar to last year. Hell Jalen Hurts had 3700 yards passing and 22 passing TD's and he was an MVP candidate.

but as other said, those numbers with a losing record or missing playoffs don't mean shit.
Same. It's like going to a Michelin star restaurant and having a really, really decent meal but not taking into account the ambience and service.

Aquineas

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The good thing about all this debate is, we'll know soon enough. One way or another, we'll know whether the Bears should continue with Fields or move on. Either way there's going to be plenty of back-tracking.

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
It's not just the numbers he puts up but the question of can he win games making plays with his arm at the end of games with a game winning drive for me. I want a QB that can take a team to the super bowl and win it, not just one that can win me games in fantasy football putting up good/great numbers every week.
It looks like most everyone on here would be happy with Kyle Orton.

gallagher

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
I mean fields finished the season 31st in COMPLETION PERCENTAGE while leading the team to a 10 game loss streak followed by the #1 pick overall.

but yea these don't mean anything. all pointless stats.

It's great be a pro qb in chicago. The bar is set so LOW
You made the claim that Fields should have won 3+ more games in the early season based on having the ball with more than a minute while down one score. You showed a clip to support how the top QBs pull together winning drives, and I brought up three specific examples that I suspect you were referencing and how Fields shouldnt be considered the failure for those.

I also said that it is obvious where Fields needs to grow before being considered the guy for the team. So really this post doesnt support your original argument at all. In fact, the post I originally replied to referenced three games before the season was lost, and are now in this post holding a loss streak against Fields as if the season wasn't lost. That is talking out of both sides of your mouth, sir!

But I also see that you cut out all that important detail so that you could make it look like you were dunking on someone who was trying to engage with the argument you made before. And also, in so doing, you changed your premise instead of supporting your original argument. So yes, you needed to do more to support your claim , and still do now.

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears

Of course winning games doesn't matter they can just blame it on the defense.

DrGonzo

Gazpacho Police
Donator
Liked Posts:
The problem with having no pass rush is leads will be hard to protect in the fourth quarter. It's unfair to judge Fields strictly by wins and losses if he's consistently putting them ahead by two or more scores at halftime.

Unless they lose because he's turning the ball over in the second half - then the blame is deserved.

Numbers can be spun a lot of ways but if he's got a top ten passer rating at the end of the year then replacing him would be a head scratcher given what he can already do with his legs.

gpphat

2020 CCS Fantasy Football Champ (ESPN League)
Donator
CCS Overall Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Virginia Commonwealth Rams
Of course winning games doesn't matter they can just blame it on the defense.
my point is Fields can throw for 4500+ with 30+ TD's and it wont matter if the Bears have a losing record.

But even if you take out the teams record and look purely at the stats why are we leaving out the rushing stats...last year Fields was in the top 10 as a rusher but we want to ignore that for just his passing stats? If Fields has a bump in his passing stats and has another 1K rushing season... how can anyone say statistically he fell short?

Again, if the Bears are 5-12 it won't mean much because his critics will only focus on him not doing enough in the passing game and his cheerleaders are going to point to the defense.

Bearin' Down

Liked Posts:

3,200+ passing yards
24 passing TDs
12 INTs
95+ passer rating

Not unless he ran for like 2000 yards and added another 15 rushing tds.

With the talent on offense, he should easily be able to surpass 3500 yards and 27 tds if he rushes for 1000 yards. If he rushes for less, I'd expect his passing numbers to be closer to 4000+ 30+ tds

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
When Fields plays well enough to be considered "the guy", everyone will know it and we won't have to worry about any silly stat line to convince ourselves.
You're right and I think he excels for all to see.