Would this stat line convince you Fields is the guy?

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Fields finished last year with 2,242 passing yards, 17 passing TDs and 12 INTs.

He had a 60% completion percentage, and an 85 passer rating.

Let’s say he made a big jump passing and went something like:
3,200+ passing yards
24 passing TDs
12 INTs
67% completion percentage
95+ passer rating

I realize that’s not the ceiling we all hope for, but that would be quite the jump. If he did that this year, would it convince you he’s the guy?
Yes. Also, close to a .500 win record.

Bust

Liked Posts:
my point is Fields can throw for 4500+ with 30+ TD's and it wont matter if the Bears have a losing record.

Again, if the Bears are 5-12 it won't mean much because his critics will only focus on him not doing enough in the passing game and his cheerleaders are going to point to the defense.

all good points and spot on!

Also Eberflus and Poles requires the team to win else they gonna get fired and Fields will be back to square one, learning new system every 2 seasons etc. The brown nosers will go back to rehashing the good ole Cutler days from back in the day . . . in 8 seasons with the bears Cutler ended up with 6 different O coordinators and 3 different coaching staffs cause he wasn't winning enough games.

Toast88

Liked Posts:

3,200+ passing yards
24 passing TDs
12 INTs
95+ passer rating

I realize that’s not the ceiling we all hope for, but that would be quite the jump. If he did that this year, would it convince you he’s the guy?

The scary thing is that those numbers would be a huge improvement, despite being the exact same passing numbers Mitch Trubisky put up in his first full year in the NFL.

3,223 passing yards
24 TDs
12 INTs
95.4 passer rating

I believe in Fields, but I think caution is in order. A lot of people are predicting some massive season and the playoffs based on damn near nothing. It’s much more likely Fields makes incremental improvement and the Bears still suck. I’d love to be wrong, though.

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Imagine being this guy ^^^^.
So I’d like to apologize to you. In the beginning I definitely thought you didn’t like Fields but I realized you were judging him fairly. I should have never compared you with c*nts like Daniel here

Last edited:

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
So I’d like to apologize to you. In the beginning I definitely thought you didn’t like Fields but I realized you were judging him fairly. I should have never compared you with c*nuts like Daniel here
Rare PIB L

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Just so we're clear i meant you apologizing to the Fields hater @PrideisBears and not that your original take was wrong.
No issues but I don’t think baba hates fields. I mean I hope has more common sense and knows Fields will be a top ten QB

Nelly

Liked Posts:
The scary thing is that those numbers would be a huge improvement, despite being the exact same passing numbers Mitch Trubisky put up in his first full year in the NFL.

3,223 passing yards
24 TDs
12 INTs
95.4 passer rating

I believe in Fields, but I think caution is in order. A lot of people are predicting some massive season and the playoffs based on damn near nothing. It’s much more likely Fields makes incremental improvement and the Bears still suck. I’d love to be wrong, though.
Trubisky was good enough to earn a pro-bowl spot that year though thanks to the team winning a whole bunch of games. It was a good season from him, no doubt. That wasn't so much the problem as the following years were, where he couldn't improve on his shortcomings which led to him and Nagy getting exposed.

And I don't think it's based on damn near nothing. Trubisky also had a lot more to work with that season compared to Fields this last season. Fields also has unique home-run hitting ability with both his legs and his arm, something Mitch didn't have to be able to lean on while trying to become a good passer to all levels of the field. Fields already has a track record of elevating a bad offense to performances greater than the sum of it's parts while Mitch was always the (or at least a) limiting factor for the offense.

So screw you and your calls for caution! I'm throwing caution to the wind! :goes streaking:

Last edited:

IBleedBearsBlood

Liked Posts:
For me, it’s just his reaction time. If he can get better at reacting fast, then that alone will help him get better. If he reacts faster, that tells me has gotten better at reading defenses and being quick with his decision making. Often he would be slow taking the snap and setting up last year. Which meant he wasn’t sure about his read or if he should throw it there or not. IMO, he would double guess himself. He would scan all receivers but I would like to see him scan at a faster pace and have his body position in place for all possible directions.

I just feel like he’s slow at setting up after the snap at times. He just needs to be quicker. But other than that, he has the arm, the accuracy, etc. If he has a better reaction time, that’ll mean his vision got better, his set up got better, and everything else will just be better.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

3,200+ passing yards
24 passing TDs
12 INTs
95+ passer rating

Throw in 500 rushing yards and we'll say 5-6 rushing TDs (probably more, be we can be conservative) and it wouldn't be the worst year statistically speaking.

Less about the numbers though for me. Last season, Fields has a pretty incredible 6 game stretch - would like to see that more consistently. Quicker reads, better game management i.e. understanding down/distance situations like not throwing it 40 yards down field to Mooney on a go route when its 3rd and 4. Better redzone execution. He had some shit talent last year and plenty of examples of WRs dropping balls in the endzone so not completely on him.

If the OL can be more consistent, I think we will see all of these improvements. That was one of his issues last year, some plays the protection was adequate and some plays he had 3 guys on him as soon as he touched the ball so feel like he was always in fight or flight mode and had a hard time getting into a rhythm.

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Honestly, all the talk of Trubiskys overrated 2018 season and his total production wasnt that much greater than Fields considering Fields what both guys had to work with.

FIELDS BETTA

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
It's nothing more than confirmation bias. Fields could be the MVP and some people will still want him gone. Fields could shit the bed, and some will still want him under center. 90% of this place has their minds made up already. Why waste your time starting posts about achievements and stats?

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
Throw in 500 rushing yards and we'll say 5-6 rushing TDs (probably more, be we can be conservative) and it wouldn't be the worst year statistically speaking.

Less about the numbers though for me. Last season, Fields has a pretty incredible 6 game stretch - would like to see that more consistently. Quicker reads, better game management i.e. understanding down/distance situations like not throwing it 40 yards down field to Mooney on a go route when its 3rd and 4. Better redzone execution. He had some shit talent last year and plenty of examples of WRs dropping balls in the endzone so not completely on him.

If the OL can be more consistent, I think we will see all of these improvements. That was one of his issues last year, some plays the protection was adequate and some plays he had 3 guys on him as soon as he touched the ball so feel like he was always in fight or flight mode and had a hard time getting into a rhythm.
Well, speaking for stats, the yards and completion percentage presumed are right where Lamar Jackson was in 2019 in 15 games (and I think that we should not presume fully healthy seasons for QBs that make plays on the ground). I am not expecting 2019 Lamar results, however, I just want to keep in mind what success may look like for such a dynamic runner learning to be a dynamic passer.

Situational football and a quicker release are two things he best be working on this offseason. The rest of the talent around Fields improved with a better WR corps and a new OLman that gives us hope for greatness. If the rest of the team takes a large step forward, and Fields does not, then he is the one holding the team back.

gpphat

2020 CCS Fantasy Football Champ (ESPN League)
Donator
CCS Overall Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Virginia Commonwealth Rams
Trubisky was good enough to earn a pro-bowl spot that year though thanks to the team winning a whole bunch of games. It was a good season from him, no doubt. That wasn't so much the problem as the following years were, where he couldn't improve on his shortcomings which led to him and Nagy getting exposed.

And I don't think it's based on damn near nothing. Trubisky also had a lot more to work with that season compared to Fields this last season. Fields also has unique home-run hitting ability with both his legs and his arm, something Mitch didn't have to be able to lean on while trying to become a good passer to all levels of the field. Fields already has a track record of elevating a bad offense to performances greater than the sum of it's parts while Mitch was always the (or at least a) limiting factor for the offense.

So screw you and your calls for caution! I'm throwing caution to the wind! :goes streaking:

Let's put Trubisky's "Pro Bowl" season into perspective....he wasn't a pro bowl selection, he was an alternate replacing Goff. He had the lowest yardage total and was easily the weakest QB of all the QB's selected. And for those that want to say "he still made the Pro Bowl, that should mean something"...let me remind you that this past year Tyler Huntley was a pro bowl alternate with the monster stats of 658 yards, 3 total TD's, and 3 Int's. A pro bowl alternate holds about as much weight as Trump Bucks do in our economy.

Nelly

Liked Posts:
Let's put Trubisky's "Pro Bowl" season into perspective....he wasn't a pro bowl selection, he was an alternate replacing Goff. He had the lowest yardage total and was easily the weakest QB of all the QB's selected. And for those that want to say "he still made the Pro Bowl, that should mean something"...let me remind you that this past year Tyler Huntley was a pro bowl alternate with the monster stats of 658 yards, 3 total TD's, and 3 Int's. A pro bowl alternate holds about as much weight as Trump Bucks do in our economy.
Not wrong but it was still a good season and a reason for optimism that he could build on what he had done. The context of the thread is judge a stat line in concert with the team's ability to win.

So this trubisky talk would make me point out that regardless of Fields' stats, I would need to see that he's a reason for why the team is winning or being successful offensively. In that 2018 year I don't think you could say that for Mitch in plenty of games.

Look at last year and you can see that Fields is the prime reason for the offense being as good as it was even though his passing stats left a lot of the desired. Put 2022 Fields on that 2018 team and we make a deep run in the playoffs, imo, cause Mitch was probably the number 1 limiting factor offensively even though he had a good season statistically.

Bust

Liked Posts:
For me, it’s just his reaction time.

For me, it's justin's release. As a neutral, non kool aid, rose colored glasses chicago bears qb backer. When it comes to throwing mechanics and quick release, the difference between Caleb Williams and Justin is night and day.

Fields throwing motion is locked at 30fps and drops to 15fps when the weather reaches <35F. Probably explains why Justin hesitates to throw on some plays cause the defense gets a split second jump telegraphing his slo mo windup.

Wonder which team will legit tank this year and grab Caleb on a rookie deal . . .

"while it's great having the #1 overall, it's just as important getting the #1 overall in the right year" Kyle Davidson, GM of blackhawks

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
For me, it's justin's release. As a neutral, non kool aid, rose colored glasses chicago bears qb backer. When it comes to throwing mechanics and quick release, the difference between Caleb Williams and Justin is night and day.

Fields throwing motion is locked at 30fps and drops to 15fps when the weather reaches <35F. Probably explains why Justin hesitates to throw on some plays cause the defense gets a split second jump telegraphing his slo mo windup.

Wonder which team will legit tank this year and grab Caleb on a rookie deal . . .

"while it's great having the #1 overall, it's just as important getting the #1 overall in the right year" Kyle Davidson, GM of blackhawks
I would like to piggyback here and combine his release/throwing motion with picking the right throw at the right time.

Too many balls batted at the line at bad times, too many lasers that should have been lofted (and an especially terrible throw against WASH near the goal line - throwing the ball over his TE instead of putting it on his numbers).