Would You Ever Want A New Wrigley Field?

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
NO! Wrigley Field is a place where baseball is still baseball. If you want an amusement park go to Disneyland!!!

Bears left Wrigley... so can the Cubs.

I hear about tradition, but c'mon, look at a picture of Wrigley now and Wrigley in even 1980, it is so much different anyway.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Only down side is that "Go Cubs Go" would be ruined when they say "so come on down to Wrigley Field". But when the Cubs end up with their own network, it will ruin the "You can catch it all on WGN" more than it already has been by CSN being added.

wadedog21

Bleedin' Cubbie Blue
Liked Posts:
Bears left Wrigley... so can the Cubs.

I hear about tradition, but c'mon, look at a picture of Wrigley now and Wrigley in even 1980, it is so much different anyway.

I take alot of pride in the fact that baseball played at Wrigley brings out the real baseball fans who are there to watch the game. When you build one of these "Amusement Park" style baseball stadiums you will attract more of the touristy people who know nothing about the game. It is exciting to see the crowd at Wrigley cheer for a groundout to first with a runner on second and nobody out.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
I take alot of pride in the fact that baseball played at Wrigley brings out the real baseball fans who are there to watch the game. When you build one of these "Amusement Park" style baseball stadiums you will attract more of the touristy people who know nothing about the game. It is exciting to see the crowd at Wrigley cheer for a groundout to first with a runner on second and nobody out.

Ummm... don't Cubs fans have a stereotype of not paying attention to the game? I think you are round.

The same fans will be coming either way. Wrigley is more of a tourist attraction than other parks, so I disagree.

wadedog21

Bleedin' Cubbie Blue
Liked Posts:
Ummm... don't Cubs fans have a stereotype of not paying attention to the game? I think you are round.

The same fans will be coming either way. Wrigley is more of a tourist attraction than other parks, so I disagree.

I disagree with that comment 100%.....if you ever listen to a player interview, tv analyst etc. all they talk about is how the fans are into the game and understand the little things about the game. Your comments are your opinion and your opinion only!

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
I disagree with that comment 100%.....if you ever listen to a player interview, tv analyst etc. all they talk about is how the fans are into the game and understand the little things about the game. Your comments are your opinion and your opinion only!

I know it is just my opinion...... when did I say it was a fact?

And players pretty much have to talk about how great their fans are. Every team claims to have the best fans.

AE23

from 68th
Donator
Liked Posts:
1. For the billionth time, most of the stadium is fine.
2. Itd be fine to play elsewhere for one season. No problem there.
3. The playing field is great thanks to the Sox guy they hired to build the new surface.
4. If the Cubs are good enough to win the division there is no reason they cant win it all at Wrigley. Complete assumption and a poor one.

Not the actual sod,....... the dimensions. They are for an era when pretty much only Babe Ruth was hitting homeruns,..... nowdays yo got 2nd baseman hitting 20 homeruns. And theyr no bullpens. Little foul ground. Every team in the Central has a better stadium than the Cubs. And except for the Marlins, who dont have their own stadium, every one in the NL has a better stadium than the Cubs. Sure the amenities have evolved, by necessity, and through out the decades it was built up, but you cant add 10-15 feet to the outfield, you cant add bullpens for both team that interfere with foul grounds. Theres no foul grounds on both side of the outfield. The brick wall, that ivy doesnt cushing anything, its a novelty. Thats what Wrigley is. A novelty

Last edited:

AE23

from 68th
Donator
Liked Posts:
Duh

Because people are stupid enough to go and fill up a stadium thats way too small and suitable for minor lague ball. "Through Thick and Thin". Thats how sick those people are. And players, tv analyst arent gonna call out the fans for not showing up, unless the teams winning. Ala Tampa Bay Rays of last season. Teams in first place, stadium has 10K in the stands, Longoria, other players call out the fans.

Last edited:

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Not the actual sod,....... the dimensions. They are for an era when pretty much only Babe Ruth was hitting homeruns,..... nowdays yo got 2nd baseman hitting 20 homeruns. And theyr no bullpens. Little foul ground. Every team in the Central has a better stadium than the Cubs. And except for the Marlins, who dont have their own stadium, every one in the NL has a better stadium than the Cubs. Sure the amenities have evolved, by necessity, and through out the decades it was built up, but you cant add 10-15 feet to the outfield, you cant add bullpens for both team that interfere with foul grounds. Theres no foul grounds on both side of the outfield. The brick wall, that ivy doesnt cushing anything, its a novelty. Thats what Wrigley is. A novelty

And the Florida Marlins won't exist next year...
They are getting a brand new stadium and renaming themselves the Miami Marlins.

AE23

from 68th
Donator
Liked Posts:
And the Florida Marlins won't exist next year...
They are getting a brand new stadium and renaming themselves the Miami Marlins.

I think it was 03, against the Marlin, not sure. Their Alex Gonzales(we had one too), hit a homerun that barely got over the left field wall. In the NLCS, not sure if it was the Bartman game. Maybe someone can enlighten me on those facts. But I remember it reall y killed us. Shit like thats gonna keep happening, especially in the playoffs. Regular season you night be able to ive with, but its a game of inches, and Wrigleys giving up too much ground.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
I think it was 03, against the Marlin, not sure. Their Alex Gonzales(we had one too), hit a homerun that barely got over the left field wall. In the NLCS, not sure if it was the Bartman game. Maybe someone can enlighten me on those facts. But I remember it reall y killed us. Shit like thats gonna keep happening, especially in the playoffs. Regular season you night be able to ive with, but its a game of inches, and Wrigleys giving up too much ground.

It also gives us more HR though, so it goes both ways.

AE23

from 68th
Donator
Liked Posts:
It also gives us more HR though, so it goes both ways.

Now I dont play for the Cubs, but I have watched them a lot. Yes it does go both way, but when you have good hitters, not pull happy hacks, like Soriano, and to a lesser extent Aramis. It seems to me that you get dupped into thinking you can pull every pitch and Wrigley, and visitors dont play like that, Wrigley lulls you to sleep. I remember Aramis usto go deep to the opposite field all the time, he still has the power, but hes up their shanking every swing to the left! Soriano should also go the other way, the homers will come. Geo Soto, last year 12 homers at home 5 on the road. Hes a strong guy but aided by the short outfield, and yes works both ways. But a good hitter Like DLee, who didnt wanna leave, gets traded away. WTF. Theriot, a guy who goes exclusively the other way, get his only homerun, by pulling a fastball at Wrigley. Go to rightfield dammit! Stop getting choked up.

Last edited:

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Now I dont play for the Cubs, but I have watched them a lot. Yes it does go both way, but when you have good hitters, not pull happy hacks, like Soriano, and to a lesser extent Aramis. It seems to me that you get dupped into thinking you can pull every pitch and Wrigley, and visitors dont play like that, Wrigley lulls you to sleep. I remember Aramis usto go deep to the opposite field all the time, he still has the power, but hes up their shanking every swing to the left! Soriano should also go the other way, the homers will come. Geo Soto, last year 12 homers at home 5 on the road. Hes a strong guy but aided by the short outfield, and yes works both ways. But a good hitter Like DLee, who didnt wanna leave, gets traded away. WTF. Theriot, a guy who goes exclusively the other way, get his only homerun, by pulling a fastball at Wrigley. Go to rightfield dammit! Stop getting choked up.

Soto had 17 HR in 2010...

DLee got traded because it was the last year of his contract. Theriot brought prospects, rid us of an arb player by trading him, and essentially was replaced by DeWitt.

AE23

from 68th
Donator
Liked Posts:
Soto had 17 HR in 2010...

DLee got traded because it was the last year of his contract. Theriot brought prospects, rid us of an arb player by trading him, and essentially was replaced by DeWitt.

Yes Geo had17 homeruns, 12 at home. 5 on the road.

AE23

from 68th
Donator
Liked Posts:
To add to my arguement, about a new Wrigley field. The Yankees built a new stadium almost similar to their old Yankee stadium. People who say theres no room for a new Wrigley, look at what the NYY did. In the biggest city in the world, with the biggest population in America, with real estate prices being what they are, they built a new stadium. Why, because they are winnners, and the Cubs are.... not. Its possible if you want to get it done.

Last edited:

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
To add to my arguement, about a new Wrigley field. The Yankees built a new stadium almost similar to their old Yankee stadium. People who say theres no room for a new Wrigley, look at what the NYY did. In the biggest city in the world, with the biggest populationin America, with real estate prices being what they are, they built a new stadium. Why, because they are winnners, and the Cubs are.... not. Its possible if you want to get it done.

Cubs have some nice young players. They are their way up.

People just expect too much too fast.

It takes more than half a year to re-build.

Think we're set on 2012.

wadedog21

Bleedin' Cubbie Blue
Liked Posts:
Because people are stupid enough to go and fill up a stadium thats way too small and suitable for minor lague ball. "Through Thick and Thin". Thats how sick those people are. And players, tv analyst arent gonna call out the fans for not showing up, unless the teams winning. Ala Tampa Bay Rays of last season. Teams in first place, stadium has 10K in the stands, Longoria, other players call out the fans.

Following your team "Through Thick and Thin" is called being a true fan! I am guessing you may not be in that category:nope:

nickofypres

Super Nintendo Chalmers
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Toledo Rockets
Following your team "Through Thick and Thin" is called being a true fan! I am guessing you may not be in that category:nope:

Wrigley Field in itself is a marketing tool. When Bill Veeck was selling pop at Cubs games back in ye olde days, Mr. Wrigley decided to start the whole "Come see historic Wrigley Field". You have to realize not everyone at Wrigley is a Cubs fan. Its full of Cubs fans, baseball enthusiastics who just have to see Wrigley Field, its full of businessmen who are taken their on business trips, its fans of other teams who just have to see Wrigley Field, its full of frat boys and Ke$has who just want to get drunk and have a good time. After you take away most of that, Wrigley would be no fuller than U.S. Cellular Field whenever the Cubs start off slow or have a bad season.