Would you trade Zambrano for Figgins?

Would you?

• Total voters

The Bandit

vick27m
Donator
Liked Posts:
I would do it. Always liked Figgins, we get a couple extra years yes but its not to much more then what we pay Z this year anyways. And honestly I don't wanna see Z back at all. I don't care if it's his last year or what, he doesn't deserve another chance.

Lex L.

Liked Posts:
What if the Cubs traded Zambrano for Figgins?

Zambrano could benefit greatly from a change of scenery after his latest incident where he walked out on his teammates in Atlanta in August. (USPresswire)

TONY ANDRACKI
csnchicago.png
I declare today National Carlos Zambrano Day. Well, maybe not "National" but at least "Regional." As in the region in or around Chicago.

We've already discussed how Zambrano's time spent on the shelf with a facial injury will continue, but now let's move into something fun. Something that involves Zambrano packing up and heading out of town.

What if the Cubs traded Zambrano to the Seattle Mariners for Chone Figgins?

Figgins suffered through a simply horrendous 2011 season. If it wasn't for Adam Dunn, Figgins' .188 average and .484 on-base plus slugging (OPS) would have been talked about a lot more.

But he was talked about quite often in Seattle, and there's no doubt he could use a change of scenery. Zambrano needs a change of scenery, too, and both players are under the Bad Contract Umbrella.

This is a bit crazy and something that hasn't even been sniffed at as of yet, but it could work. Let us count the ways:

Why This Could Work

1. Figgins was OK offensively in '10. He sported just a .259 AVG, but 74 walks helped bump his on-base percentage to .340. He stole 42 bases in 57 chances and while he boasts almost no power (he has a career .368 slugging percentage), he can still be an offensive asset.

2. Figgins is 33 now and his 11 steals in 17 chances last season were horrendous, but if he got on base a bit more, he could be some of the speed the Cubs need. Chicago finished 28th in the Majors last season with just 69 stolen bases. The only two teams below them -- the Cardinals and Tigers -- both made the playoffs and the Cards even won the World Series, but they also boast better pitching staffs and a lineup loaded with much more power than the Cubs, so speed is a way to improve for Chicago.

3. Figgins can play both second and third base. He's even dabbled in outfield and at shortstop in his career, too. He's also actually been an above-average defender since 2007. If the issues with his bat continue, it wouldn't be that terrible to move Figgins from an everyday starter to just a utility guy. I'd take him over Blake DeWitt.

4. The Cubs have literally no answer at third base. A platoon of DeWitt and Jeff Baker makes me more nervous than being in a locked room with Carlos Zambrano would. D.J. LeMahieu and Josh Vitters are not quite ready yet and Figgins could be a great stopgap until either -- or both -- mature.

5. The Mariners need to get rid of Figgins' contract while the Cubs need to get rid of Z's contract. Figgins is still owed $17 million over the next two years, while Zambrano has just one year and $18 million left on his albatross contract. I mean, I wasn't a math major, but that's basically the same amount of money we're talking about here, folks.

6. A change of scenery could do these guys good. Zambrano needs a fresh start with a new organization that hasn't directly experienced his behavioral issues. Figgins needs a better ballpark to hit in (though Safeco is more detrimental to a power hitter, not a speed guy like Figgins) and a fresh start to get his career back on track. Both are capable of still being very effective Major Leaguers and are worth taking the risk.

7. The Cubs and Mariners have made "bad contract" for "bad contract" trades in the past, including just the Carlos Silva/Milton Bradley deal. That kinda sorta worked for both sides. This can kinda sorta work, too.

8. I want it to work. And that's good enough for me.

What if the Cubs traded Zambrano for Figgins?

How is that the same amount of money? Figgins is roughly twice as much since he has 2 years left. Not only that, he will be a 35 year old whose game has been built largely on speed. Were you talking about 17 and 18 per year?

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
How is that the same amount of money? Figgins is roughly twice as much since he has 2 years left. Not only that, he will be a 35 year old whose game has been built largely on speed.
$17M total is owed over 2 years to Figgins, so $8.5M a year. Zambrano is owed $18M for next season.

Lex L.

Liked Posts:
$17M total is owed over 2 years to Figgins, so $8.5M a year. Zambrano is owed $18M for next season.

OK, I thought he was saying it was per year. I'd consider it then. I like Figgins but his age for a speed guy makes me extremely wary.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
OK, I thought he was saying it was per year. I'd consider it then. I like Figgins but his age for a speed guy makes me extremely wary.

Again why take on 1 more year of bad contract to get rid of a player who will be gone after this year

The Bandit

vick27m
Donator
Liked Posts:
Again why take on 1 more year of bad contract to get rid of a player who will be gone after this year

The money practically equals out. You get two years of either a starting infielder or a pinch hitter/runner instead of one year of the fuckin nutcase named Zambrano.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
The money practically equals out. You get two years of either a starting infielder or a pinch hitter/runner instead of one year of the fuckin nutcase named Zambrano.

SP is SO MUCH MORE IMPORTANT then a pinch hitter/runner. Just stick it out 1 more year with Z and he be gone. just idiotic to take another year of a bad contract

The Bandit

vick27m
Donator
Liked Posts:
SP is SO MUCH MORE IMPORTANT then a pinch hitter/runner. Just stick it out 1 more year with Z and he be gone. just idiotic to take another year of a bad contract

The extra year doesn't cost us any extra money! if anything we are getting 2 years of production for 1 million dollars less then what one season of Zambrano costs us. Yeah pitching is important we need it. But we don't need Z back period. The guys a fuckin idiot. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I won't watch Zambrano pitch for the Cubs again. I don't have any respect for the guy and I want him gone.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
The extra year doesn't cost us any extra money! if anything we are getting 2 years of production for 1 million dollars less then what one season of Zambrano costs us. Yeah pitching is important we need it. But we don't need Z back period. The guys a fuckin idiot. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I won't watch Zambrano pitch for the Cubs again. I don't have any respect for the guy and I want him gone.

Yes the money is the same but the years is not. Why get a guy who will be on the payroll for 2013 when we can just keep the guy who is done after 2012 season. I rather have the 9 mil to spend next year on a USEFULL player

The Bandit

vick27m
Donator
Liked Posts:
This isn't the NBA there isn't a salary cap we HAVE to stay under. If this was the NBA that would make perfect sense. But lets do it this way. We have a pile of money that equates to 18 million dollars that is going to Zambrano. still with me? and over here we have a pile of money that equates to 17 million dollars that is going to Figgins. Now those piles of money can't be touched they are commited to those guys and you can't use it on someone else so its set aside and you can't use it. Now no salary cap and the money is still on the side. We trade Z for figgins. So we just traded 18 million dollars for one year of a pitcher that we dk what were going to get out of and could for all we know die of a heartattack from his anger on the field, for 17 million dollars for a player that could either rebound and could trade him for specs or use him as a pinch hitter pinch runner or the 3rd baseman since Ramirez is gone. Still following me here slick? We just traded 18 million dollars and a pitcher for 17 million dollars and an infielder with an extra year on top of the deal so we get twice the work for a million less and there is the possibility that we can trade him next offseason if he bounces back well. So 18 plus Z for 17 2 years of figgins and the possibility of specs instead of a 2nd year. Got it?

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
This isn't the NBA there isn't a salary cap we HAVE to stay under. If this was the NBA that would make perfect sense. But lets do it this way. We have a pile of money that equates to 18 million dollars that is going to Zambrano. still with me? and over here we have a pile of money that equates to 17 million dollars that is going to Figgins. Now those piles of money can't be touched they are commited to those guys and you can't use it on someone else so its set aside and you can't use it. Now no salary cap and the money is still on the side. We trade Z for figgins. So we just traded 18 million dollars for one year of a pitcher that we dk what were going to get out of and could for all we know die of a heartattack from his anger on the field, for 17 million dollars for a player that could either rebound and could trade him for specs or use him as a pinch hitter pinch runner or the 3rd baseman since Ramirez is gone. Still following me here slick? We just traded 18 million dollars and a pitcher for 17 million dollars and an infielder with an extra year on top of the deal so we get twice the work for a million less and there is the possibility that we can trade him next offseason if he bounces back well. So 18 plus Z for 17 2 years of figgins and the possibility of specs instead of a 2nd year. Got it?

Dumbass, follow what im typing. Im not questioning about the money!! Im saying its smarter to keep the SP WITH MUCH MORE UPSIDE then a 35 y/o IF who hasnt hit above your fat ass weight!! while saving Cubs ANOTHER year of a bad contract!!! I would rather spend the 18 MIL THIS YEAR!!!!!!!!!! then have another year where they cant spend 9 mil on a USEFULL PLAYER!!!

The Bandit

vick27m
Donator
Liked Posts:
Dumbass, follow what im typing. Im not questioning about the money!! Im saying its smarter to keep the SP WITH MUCH MORE UPSIDE then a 35 y/o IF who hasnt hit above your fat ass weight!! while saving Cubs ANOTHER year of a bad contract!!! I would rather spend the 18 MIL THIS YEAR!!!!!!!!!! then have another year where they cant spend 9 mil on a USEFULL PLAYER!!!

I weigh 180 and could still kick your ass you little ****** so stfu. What part of extra money here aren't you getting? huh dumbass? What part is so hard to understand. We are making money on that deal. A fuckin dislexic kid with a tumor on his brain has more upside to learn baseball then you do I swear to god

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
I weigh 180 and could still kick your ass you little ****** so stfu. What part of extra money here aren't you getting? huh dumbass? What part is so hard to understand. We are making money on that deal. A fuckin dislexic kid with a tumor on his brain has more upside to learn baseball then you do I swear to god

Dumbass he hit .180 last year :crazydance: So he hit ur weight but your ok with him being paid 9 mil in 2013 rather then just sticking it out for 1 more year of Z, who is a SP and only 31 y/o who still has potential of winning 13 games with aroun 3.8 ERA. Smart baseball move there. Why do you think Theo giving him a chance to come back. Its cause every team needs SP.

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
The correct answer is Figgins. Or preferably, neither. But we're keeping Z, he's got a full NTC. why the fuck would he go to Seattle? No one cares about mariners baseball.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
The correct answer is Figgins. Or preferably, neither. But we're keeping Z, he's got a full NTC. why the fuck would he go to Seattle? No one cares about mariners baseball.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3y3QoFnqZc][Scrubs] - Wrong wrong wrong wrong! - YouTube[/ame]

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
You're right...Let's keep Z, and see how many other productive players he can run off...and spend more money in the process.

Who has he run off? Keeping Z for 1 year is alot smarter then paying figgins 9 mil next year. SP is more important then a weak/aging MI

The Bandit

vick27m
Donator
Liked Posts:
You're right...Let's keep Z, and see how many other productive players he can run off...and spend more money in the process.

:yeah: thank you very much. I swear he thinks Z is just going to go straight and be good. The dudes fucked up to many times and its time to move on from him whether there is an upside in his play or not