Yoenis Cespedes Thread *Update 2/13/12 - Signed With Oakland*

Status
Not open for further replies.

southsidehitman

Better ump than Joe West
Liked Posts:
I've been hearing various rumblings (nothing concrete, obviously) about the Sox making a big run to get this guy. Looking at his stats, he could be the real deal. Big hitter for average, looks like decent power, and some speed on the bases. Thoughts on him? To me, almost looks like a Dayan Viciedo clone.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheChicagoFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I've heard this too. Would be interesting to see him on the Sox. Whose place would he take though?

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I wouldnt say he is a clone, kind of different type of player. either way it would be nice, but i wont hold my breath

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
sox may be involved after all according to reports on mlbtr

hsvj60

Liked Posts:
this kid would be a huge add to the SS!!! Gives us alot of flexibiity much better yhan Yu as a pick up and cheaper!!!

TheChicagoFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
this kid would be a huge add to the SS!!! Gives us alot of flexibiity much better yhan Yu as a pick up and cheaper!!!

I think you're confused. This guy plays outfield, I thought...

Maybe I'm the one that's confused.:shot:

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
You're not stupid thechicagofan :slap: :hi5: <3

Capt. Serious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
with Tank & Alexei, this has a solid chance of happening.

TheChicagoFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I would take this guy over any of our current outfielders. Make it happen KW!

Uman85

Oh Yeah.
Donator
Liked Posts:
He'd be a great pick-up, but the money may be an issue for KW. With Rios still here, it may be tough to get a deal.

TheChicagoFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
He'd be a great pick-up, but the money may be an issue for KW. With Rios still here, it may be tough to get a deal.

Very true. Rios is starting to become a bother. Can't get rid of him, can't keep him. His play is terrible. I just want him gone.

hsvj60

Liked Posts:
I would give him away for nothing! I'll even throw I'm some Portillo's hotdogs to sweeten the deal!

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

he managed to shave what?....20 million off the books.

Uman85

Oh Yeah.
Donator
Liked Posts:
Bidding for Cuba's Cespedes could begin soon - MLB - Sporting News

Though the date isn’t firm (he previously had been expected to become a free agent in late November or early December), when it does happen, expect the Miami Marlins to make a push to sign Cespedes, MLB.com reported.

A few months ago, Marlins officials, including team owner Jeffrey Loria, attended a private workout for Cespedes in the Dominican Republic. The team continues to have interest and plans on eventually negotiating with the outfielder's agent, Adam Katz, MLB.com reported.

According to the website, the Marlins believe Cespedes is a natural fit in Miami, a city with a strong Cuban influence. The team’s new ballpark is in the Little Havana section of city.

Once he establishes residency in the Dominican, bidding for his services is expected to begin shortly thereafter. Nearly a dozen teams have expressed interest in Cespedes.

The latest speculation has Cespedes seeking up to a six- to-eight-year deal for as much as $6 million to $8 million per year, the South Florida Sun-Sentinel reported. That could push the total package to nearly $65 million, which likely would eliminate the Marlins from the process.

However, MLB.com’s source said his price could be falling as some teams back away from a $60 million asking price. Instead, a more realistic contract could be for four years at $8 million a year, according to the website’s source.

A four-year deal would get the outfielder to age 30, and he then could test the market again.

Reds lefthander Aroldis Chapman holds the record for largest contract granted a Cuban defector after signing for $30.25 million over six years in early 2010.

If it's only a 4-year deal at $8 million per, KW needs to seriously consider it. At 6-8 years, it's a bit too risky IMO.

SaberSox

Ass Man
Liked Posts:
i don't know much about this guy. Any URLs where I can get some info?

Status
Not open for further replies.