CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Then who are you counting on to play LT? Why would the Bears release Leno if they didn’t have confidence in Jenkins to fill that spot?

The obvious answer would be cap space. I dont think they're in a rush to sign a tackle but they will eventually

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
I really hope we do something in FA as a stop gap. I'm pretty high on Jenkins, but I'm not completely comfortable with him coming in at LT right out of the gate. I'm good w/ RT though.
Honest question. Why? What's the difference? Pass rushers switch sides all the time. Premier pass rushers like TJ Watt and our very own Khalil Mack line up at left OLB, and rush primarily vs. RTs. That's just off the top of my head, I'm sure there are others. But if a pass rusher switches sides and destroys Jenkins, they are going to keep going at him. You're not going to hide him at RT if he's not good enough.

The Bears really needed somebody on defense from this draft. Wish they traded for another 2nd for Moehrig, Holland or Samuel Jr. this was a loaded draft. This defense will probably be in the 15-20 range this year, same with the offense, to the tune of 6-10 (if Fields gets red shirted, which he should)

My fear is the Bears throw Fields out there just to save face and prevent the Giants from cashing in on a top 10 pick. Really who cares. Let him sit and learn. This year is really about Jenkins, Herbert, etc
I would have loved any of those guys. But disagree with the rest. The Bears already are without a 1st and 4th next year. To get another 2nd would have taken away their 2nd next year as well as probably the 5th this year and more. So, you're talking about no Borom and no picks til the 3rd next year. I also disagree with everything you said about Fields and the defense in general, but that's another discussion.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
CB#2 is my largest concern as well on what should be an otherwise stout defense. Vildor is going to get picked on in every way possible. Hopefully our DC can scheme a little help his way every now and then.

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Honest question. Why? What's the difference? Pass rushers switch sides all the time. Premier pass rushers like TJ Watt and our very own Khalil Mack line up at left OLB, and rush primarily vs. RTs. That's just off the top of my head, I'm sure there are others. But if a pass rusher switches sides and destroys Jenkins, they are going to keep going at him. You're not going to hide him at RT if he's not good enough.

1. Jenkins has had way more reps at RT
2. Blind side

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Something would have to seriously go wrong if KMet doesn’t develop into at least an average nfl tight end.

his catch radius is massive and fields is pinpoint accurate.

I would agree.

The kid just needs to work on securing the ball and that's otherwise it.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Young players that I would love to see step up

1. Daniels/Mustipher, interior OL. Jenkins and Whitehair are set on the OL. Where doesn't really matter and while how good they are does matter, they are going to both be 2/5 of your starters for at least 2-3 years. Mustipher or Daniels establishing themselves as the 3rd starter takes the group from 40% set to 60%, if both are good, you are 4/5 of the way to a strong OL with Borom as a "bird in the hand". Plus, Daniels is a FA this offseason. Bears are going to spend on a FA OL anyway, may as well be one of their own who'll be the youngest FA on the market.

2. Johnson/Shelley/Vildor/Burns/Graham, CB. Honestly, the Bears probably need 3 guys to step up from this group. Johnson moreso to go to the next level, stay healthy, and establish himself as a clear CB1. 2 of the other 4 may need to step up for outside CB and nickel. Trufant may turn it around, but he's not a long-term answer anyway. Bears could go into 2022 with CB as the new TE, K, QB, OT position where they throw a bunch of assets there in the offseason. And if there's 1 position I hate spending on is CB. CBs are paid heavily and outside of the top 2-3, still give up a ton of catches/yards/TDs. Cheap production is key at CB

3. Darnell Mooney. Mooney is fine as is, considering he just finished his rookie year and his QB left a lot of his yards on the table. I don't think Robinson is coming back after this year, so it's important that Mooney establishes himself as a guy that can be a very high end #2. Justin Fields' strengths match perfect with his skillset and this offense can be built around WRs of his type. If he can't show the ability to be at least a 900 yard guy going forward then the Bears may be either forced to spend 20M on Robinson or similar.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
1. Jenkins has had way more reps at RT
2. Blind side
I understand the concern about lack of game reps at LT. But I don't understand the logic behind a player not being able to do something "right out the gate" as you said. RT isn't any easier, it's not fundamentally different. And even if Jenkins plays RT all year and is good enough to play LT in the future (think Tristan Wirfs) then you still have the issue of him not having reps at LT as a professional. If he can play RT well as a rookie, he's going to be a RT. If he can't play well enough LT, you can always try him at RT because you have a lot of data of him playing well at RT. If you think Jenkins can ever in his life play LT well, why not play him there right away instead of making him somehow earn his way over there? Makes no sense to me.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
Honestly, I don’t have the best feeling about Cole Kmet.

mceownr22

PacetheGawd
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Jaylon Johnson is the key. If he cannot show he can stay healthy and solidify that CB1 spot we will be in huge trouble

hebs

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Really if either Vildor or Graham could step into a roll at CB that would be a huge gift. That is such a razor thin position.
What about Tre Roberson or Artie Burns?

pinkfloydster

Liked Posts:
Obviously the Bears have some holes on the roster and they are not stacked with resources this year or next.

What are your power rankings of younger/unheralded Bears that would be a huge boost if they turned into legit players.

1. Ifedi/Borom

Obviously, Justin Fields is the priority. Getting solid consistent, maybe even above average, OT play from one of these guys at RT would benefit Fields and allow the Bears to focus next offseason on other areas of need.

2. Kindle Vildor

If he could become a solid CB2 that would be a massive win for the Bears for 2021, and allow them some flexibility in 2022. As of right now CB2 is probably the short term and long term position I am most concerned about.

3. Cole Kmet

It would be a big boost if he could take a step as a receiver and give the Bears a complete TE for the first time in a decade. It would also give them a long term player at a difficult position to fill.

I still think the biggest hole for the Bears is inside linebacker. Roquan checks the box, sure. But Trevathan is a far cry from what he he was in years past. Next is Iggy who can't even make it on the field. After that, Josh Woods whom I like. But he's not someone you want starting.

It's almost laughable that I am praying UDFA Caleb Johnson is the answer to Bears problems.

Nelly

Liked Posts:
I still think the biggest hole for the Bears is inside linebacker. Roquan checks the box, sure. But Trevathan is a far cry from what he he was in years past. Next is Iggy who can't even make it on the field. After that, Josh Woods whom I like. But he's not someone you want starting.

It's almost laughable that I am praying UDFA Caleb Johnson is the answer to Bears problems.
Christian Jones is a passable player. We definitely need some more talent in the pipeline at some positions though. Losing Kwiatkowski and Pierre-Louis last year decimated our ILB depth.

Nelly

Liked Posts:
Jaylon Johnson is the key. If he cannot show he can stay healthy and solidify that CB1 spot we will be in huge trouble
I like the idea of continuing to throw some darts in the draft. Signing cornerbacks on the open market is expensive and has plenty of bust potential since their production can seemingly fall off a cliff at any moment.

pinkfloydster

Liked Posts:
Christian Jones is a passable player. We definitely need some more talent in the pipeline at some positions though. Losing Kwiatkowski and Pierre-Louis last year decimated our ILB depth.

Christian Jones is outside linebacker. Unless I am missing something.

Nelly

Liked Posts:
Christian Jones is outside linebacker. Unless I am missing something.
He's primarily an ILB with the ability to play outside, but he's not a 3-4 OLB really. For the 3-4, he's an ILB who could maybe play the OLB in a pinch.

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
The Bears really needed somebody on defense from this draft. Wish they traded for another 2nd for Moehrig, Holland or Samuel Jr. this was a loaded draft. This defense will probably be in the 15-20 range this year, same with the offense, to the tune of 6-10 (if Fields gets red shirted, which he should)

My fear is the Bears throw Fields out there just to save face and prevent the Giants from cashing in on a top 10 pick. Really who cares. Let him sit and learn. This year is really about Jenkins, Herbert, etc

Despite losing Fuller, the Bears defense is paid top 5 in the league. It would be despicable for them to perform below average this year, especially coming off an underwhelming year last year.

Still a good front 7.

Nichols - Goldman - Hicks
Quinn-Trevathan-Roquan-Mack

While we have to figure out how much depth we have, the only realy question mark is CB.

We have lots of guys and I'm interested in seeing who comes out on top.

I already love Thomas Graham Jr, but I'm sure some other guys are in line to get a shot before him. Desmond Trufant,
Kindle Vildor, Artie Burns, Tre Roberson, Duke Shelly...so a decent amount of depth. Just gotta figure out the best players to play against our highly paid front 7.