You're the GM (Game)

dreadpirateroberts

Liked Posts:
Here are some of my thoughts:

– What a lot of people seem to forget about is that we have Almora and we just signed outfielder Eddy Julio Martinez. Both are projected as center fielders in the majors. They should be able to hold off Epstein from giving a long-term extension (3+ years) to either Fowler or somebody else.

– I think Baez ends up the one out of Chicago.

– Two guys to keep an eye on during spring training are Corey Black and Ryan Williams. If both have strong spring trainings, they can come out of Mesa as a part of the bullpen.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Hammel is always decent for the 1st half of the season, he's also owed a total of $11M ($9M in 2016 and $2M 2017 buyout), with him in the rotation you can wait and see if Hendricks can become decent #4 and if any of the younger guys (Turner, Johnson, Williams) can compete for rotation spot, and if none of that transpires you can always trade for a SP by the trade deadline.
Hammel isn't on the opening day roster and if he is and he atumbles, they will do what they did with Jackson.

Last edited:

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Breaking News! Theo Epstein said they will sign a pitcher! Carry on!

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Perhaps the biggest takeaway from the press conference was Epstein definitively stating, “We would like to add more quality pitching. … We need more pitching, that’s obvious.” He would go on (as can be seen in this video link from Gonzales) to point out that the team’s rotation and pitching staff as a whole ranked third in ERA, first in FIP and first in wins above replacement. Epstein called the free agent market for pitching a “necessary evil” but stopped short of definitively stating that would be the route the club goes this winter. “…whether it’s through trade or free agency, we would like to add at least one quality starting pitcher this winter.” Not only will the team focus on adding to the pitching staff, though, they’ll also focus on improving their pitchers’ abilities to hold runners on base. The Mets exposed that flaw significantly in the NLCS, as Gonzales points out in the second of his two above-linked columns.

Epstein said that the Cubs “certainly” have interest in re-signing Dexter Fowler as a free agent, as the Chicago Tribune’s Paul Sullivan tweets. “[Fowler] made a big impact on the field and off,” Epstein said of Dexter (MLB.com video link), “and we love having him around.” Bruce Levine of 670thescore.com has more of Epstein’s comments on Fowler and notes that the Cubs are expected to make a qualifying offer to Fowler, though he’ll assuredly reject that and test the open market.

The Cubs would be “foolish” not to pursue a long-term deal with Jake Arrieta this offseason, Epstein said. “I’m sure there will come a time where we approach Jake and his agent, Scott Boras, about seeing if we can extend that window. … More than anything, we’re just appreciative of the person he is and the year that he had, and what, at the very least, the next two seasons in a Cub uniform look like for him.” Arrieta is controllable through arbitration for two more seasons, and while extensions for Boras clients that are so close to free agency are rare, but the Cubs do have a new TV deal coming in the near future, which can’t hurt their cause in trying to lock up one of the game’s best pitchers.

Epstein briefly acknowledged that the TV deal will give the team some additional flexibility down the line, though he didn’t get into specifics. “The 2016 payroll is not going to be as big as the 2020 payroll because of the TV deal, but what we accomplished this year should help,” he said in reference to the added revenue from the team’s NLCS run. “We’ll have an aggressive mindset.” Epstein did also acknowledge, however, that the arbitration salaries facing the team will limit some of the resources. MLBTR projects the Cubs’ nine arb-eligible players to combine for $33.4MM in salaries (Arrieta’s $10.6MM projection accounts for nearly one-third of that sum), though obviously some of those players could be non-tendered or traded.

The Cubs won’t yet forecast how Kyle Schwarber‘s defensive career will play out, Epstein said (via Gonzales). Schwarber will continue to work out as a catcher next spring, putting in extra time with catching coach Mike Borzello. Chicago will continue to allow Schwarber to work out behind the plate and in the outfield “until we reach a point where we think it’s not the right path,” Epstein said.

Epstein also noted that despite a rocky second half and postseason, Jason Hammel will return as an important piece of the 2016 rotation. The organization is confident that he can be the pitcher he was in the first half of the 2015 season once again.

Gonzales tweets that Epstein also offered praise for Starlin Castro and the manner in which he handled his initial benching and eventual shift to second base as well as the way in which he rebounded at the plate late in the regular season and into the playoffs.

The entire coaching staff has been invited back for the 2016 season, as ESPN Chicago’s Jesse Rogers tweets.
Asked about a new contract for himself — Epstein’s current deal runs through 2016 — Epstein downplayed that as a priority (via Muskat’s second piece above), saying it’s “not anywhere near” a top priority this winter. He also emphasized that the same conversation must be had with a good deal of the front office: “I’m sure this winter, at some point, we’ll talk not just about me but about a lot of the guys in the front office who contribute behind the scenes and make sure this group can stay together for a while and finish what we started.”

So sounds like add 1 starter. Fix Hammel. Keeping Castro at 2B. Trying to extend Arrieta. Making an attempt to retain Fowler in CF.

Sums it up. So status que and add a pitcher is the goal.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
So sounds like add 1 starter. Fix Hammel. Keeping Castro at 2B. Trying to extend Arrieta. Making an attempt to retain Fowler in CF.

Like i said, he gonna keep it simple

I think what he said about Hammel though was to just try and keep some of his value up... don't wanna make it seem like he willing to give him away to anyone interested

DJMoore_is_fat

Liked Posts:
If we add starting pitcher, I'd much rather have Hendricks than Hammel. Am I the only one who thinks Hendricks can be a long term 4th/5th starter here?

Listening to Jed this morning, it seems like they love positional depth and don't want to give it up. Jed referred to it as being "built for the marathon," which will help us make the post season again.

So maybe it is sign David Price or Zach Greinke to a huge mega-deal, add a guy like Denard Span to replace Fowler, and acquire some bullpen help and call it a day. If we're in the hunt at the dead line and need a starting pitcher, we can trade for one then. It doesn't all have to be done before the season starts.

SP1 Price
SP2 Arrieta
SP3 Lester
SP4 Hendricks
SP5 Hammel

CF Span
LF Schwarber
1B Rizzo
3B Bryant
RF Soler
2B Castro
SS Russell
C Montero

Baez will be the super sub off the bench and get lots of looks at 2B, SS, and 3B. He'll get a ton of at-balls all year long, filling in for injured or slumping guys.

czman

Liked Posts:
Like i said, he gonna keep it simple

I think what he said about Hammel though was to just try and keep some of his value up... don't wanna make it seem like he willing to give him away to anyone interested

I think when a Gm mentions your name as a good team player or teammate at the end of season you may be gone. Castro, Hammel, and Fowler may have been just lip service. Kyle was mentioned but it was specifically about future plans. I see a start difference in that and what was said about Castro and Hammel.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:

This is basically what i stated at the start so glad to hear my thoughts seem to be on track.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
If we add starting pitcher, I'd much rather have Hendricks than Hammel. Am I the only one who thinks Hendricks can be a long term 4th/5th starter here?

People will tell you I'm wrong but I think he's better than that. He was the 27th best pitcher in fWAR. Sure his ERA was higher than you like but it's influenced highly by a higher than average HR/FB rate. Others have commented he struggled the third time through line up but my view on that is most rookies will. Like wise, I think over the next 2 to 3 years you will see him going deeper into games. I think he'll end up a lot like Doug Fister in his prime maybe even better as he has shown the ability to strike out more batters. You can make an argument he's got Zimmermann potential but something between Zimmermann and Fister would be a pretty strong starter.

dreadpirateroberts

Liked Posts:
People will tell you I'm wrong but I think he's better than that. He was the 27th best pitcher in fWAR. Sure his ERA was higher than you like but it's influenced highly by a higher than average HR/FB rate. Others have commented he struggled the third time through line up but my view on that is most rookies will. Like wise, I think over the next 2 to 3 years you will see him going deeper into games. I think he'll end up a lot like Doug Fister in his prime maybe even better as he has shown the ability to strike out more batters. You can make an argument he's got Zimmermann potential but something between Zimmermann and Fister would be a pretty strong starter.

Agreed. He also had a FIP of 3.57, which was higher than Felix Hernandez's and Jordan Zimmerman's. It was 29th best in the MLB.

czman

Liked Posts:

So what you are saying is he is not a 3rd starter now, but if he improves he will be. Ok. Well crystal balls are in short supply and I don't try to predict the future. I don't think it makes any sense to make plans for next season based on a 2-3 year projection of a pitcher who could not get out of the 4th inning in the playoffs.

Right now he is a 5. If you can't get to the 5th inning and have no chance to pitch 7 innings in the playoffs you are a 5 on a playoff team. When he can get through the lineup a 3rd time he will be a different guy and then he will be a 3rd starter. I am not sure why the possibility of him improving in a few years should stop the Cubs from moving him to the 5th spot now. He has proved this year to be 4/5. The Cubs should not rest their playoff future run next season on the hopes of a guy who looks like a 5 right now.

The Cubs are not in a position to guess at pitchers who will be required to compete in the playoffs.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
It is obvious that Maddon and Hammel aren't on the same page. Hammel is not liking being pulled out of the game, and has evidenced his frustrations even though he deserved to be pulled many times. That is counter productive for this team.

Hammel's inability to get the ball down with no movement created many problems too.

I am sure he didn't like it also being the number four pitcher and taking a back seat to Hendricks.

It wouldn't be hard to move Hammel, and they wouldn't have to eat all of his salary like they did Jackson.

Someone in need of a back of the rotation starter would gobble him up at 5-6 million for one year.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini

This is basically what i stated at the start so glad to hear my thoughts seem to be on track.

Epstein said:
“…whether it’s through trade or free agency, we would like to add at least one quality starting pitcher this winter.”

Well, gentlemen. In my version of the English language, when a person states they would like to "add at least one" that means they aren't looking for just one starting pitcher. One is the bare minimum.

DanTown

Liked Posts:

Until he solves the fact that he doesn't change speeds a ton (his sinker/fastball are almost identical speeds) and that he doesn't change eye level means he's not going to be a guy who gets through the third time of the lineup. So while his "numbers" are great, that has two costs on the team

1. No matter how well/poorly he pitches, the bullpen is going to pitch 3-4 innings every game
2. He's a guy who's going to struggle against the elite teams in this league who have depth to their lineups

I have no problem saying Hendricks should be in the rotation but all this talk about how good he is because of his FIP or other stats does not include the whole picture of how Joe manages him. It's not comparable to say Hendricks and Zimmerman are close due to numbers.

dabears253313

Liked Posts:
Hopefully Kris Bryant or Javier Baez/Starlin Castro move to the outfield and Kyle Schwarber takes a big step at catcher.

I'm not saying all of these will/would happen.

If that doesn't happen then I'd like for the Cubs to look at Denard Span if Dexter Fowler can't be brought back.
Sign one out of David Price/Jordan Zimmermann/Zack Greinke/Johnny Cueto/Scott Kazmir.
If you can't sign one of those pitchers, Doug Fister would be a good underrated option. Others are Marco Estrada, Yovani Gallardo, Ian Kennedy and Brett Anderson.

Some teams that seem to have depth or a bunch of prospects are: Rangers, Phillies, Diamondbacks, Red Sox, Blue Jays.

AGAIN, I'm not saying all of these would happen, just that you could choose one.

For a lead off hitter, trade for Delino Deshields from the Rangers or Ben Revere from the Blue Jays. Blue Jays have a bunch of outfielders.
Diamondbacks have a bunch of young outfielders and can't start 4. They'd probably trade 1 out of Tomas, Enciarte and Peralta (not that young.)
Trade for Brock Holt. If he isn't starting he is still a good utility player. Red Sox have him on the bench because of their depth.
Trade for Christian Yelich.
Trade for Justin Upton or Matt Kemp.
Trade for Carlos Gonzalez.

Trade for Tyson Ross.
Trade for Hector Santiago from the Angels.
Trade for Daniel Norris.
Trade for Patrick Corbin.

For the outfield trades, you'd probably have to give up one or both of Albert Almora and Billy McKinney. Probably both for either Upton, Kemp Yelich or Gonzalez and probably one out of Carl Edwards and Pierce Johnson. If the Cubs traded Gleyber Torres they probably wouldn't need to trade much more. Jason Hammel might be involved in a trade. Dan Vogelbach is block and could be traded to be a DH. Maybe trade Ian Happ or Donnie Dewees.

Cubs probably wouldn't have to give up that much for or Santiago.

I tried to keep it realistic, throwing in big acquisitions and under the radar acquisitions. Obviously, they would only get one outfielder and one pitcher out of all of the players I mentioned.

I'm not going to argue with people about Schwarber whether he's a catcher or an outfielder. This is what I HOPE happens.

1. Dexter Fowler/Denard Span/Ender Enciarte/Ben Revere/Brock Holt LF/CF
2. Starlin Castro 2B
3. Anthony Rizzo 1B
4. Kris Bryant CF/LF/3B
5. Jorge Soler RF
6. Javier Baez 3B/CF/LF
7. Kyle Schwarber C
8. Addison Russell SS
9. Pitcher

or

1. Dexter Fowler/Denard Span/Ender Enciarte/Ben Revere/Brock Holt LF/CF
2. Kyle Schwarber C
3. Anthony Rizzo 1B
4. Kris Bryant LF/CF/3B
5. Starlin Castro 2B
6. Jorge Soler RF
7. Javier Baez 3B/LF/CF
8. Addison Russell SS
9. Pitcher

Rotations:

1. Jon Lester
2. Jake Arrieta
3. Doug Fister
4. Kyle Hendricks
5. Pierce Johnson/Carl Edwards (Sure people won't like this and Edwards might not even be ready to start yet but I'd like to see a young guy in the rotation)

1. Jon Lester
2. Jake Arrieta
3. David Price/Zack Grienke/Johnny Cueto/Scott Kazmir/Jordan Zimmermann
4. Kyle Hendricks
5. Hector Santiago/Ian Kennedy

1. Jon Lester
2. Jake Arrieta
3. Price/Greinke/Cueto/Kazmir/Zimmerman
4. Tyson Ross
5. Kyle Hendricks

dabears253313

Liked Posts:
Guys, you need to stop with this "trade young talent under control" stuff.

What Cubs actually need to do...

1. Move Baez or Bryant to CF and fill 3B with the other.
2. Sign one of the top FA pitchers (be that Price, Greinke, Cueto or Zimmerman).

Other than that, you fill the backup field positions and bullpen via. arbitration, and this team is good to go.
Btw. I'd wait with Arrieta extension after these less then stellar Playoffs, especially since he's under control for 2 more years.

Batting order
2B Castro
RF Soler
3B/CF Bryant
1B Rizzo
LF Schwarber
CF/3B Baez
SS Russell
C Montero
pitcher

Backups: C Ross, infielders La Stella, Herrera, outfielders Coughlan, Szczur

Pitching rotation
Arrieta
FA addition
Lester
Hammel
Hendricks

Bullpen
Rondon
Strop
Grimm
Richard
Cahill
Edwards

Then, during season you can evaluate the development of younger players, for example pitchers Turner, Johnson, Williams (as candidates for #4/#5 rotation spot or bullpen), outfielder McKinney and catcher Contreras.

And in the end, if Hammel and Hendricks do not meet the expectations, you can always pull the trigger and use the stacked farm (Almora, Torres, Happ, etc.) to acquire another TOR pitcher.

I like that lineup/batting order a lot.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Well, gentlemen. In my version of the English language, when a person states they would like to "add at least one" that means they aren't looking for just one starting pitcher. One is the bare minimum.

Couple ways to take that. I mean I can see what you're getting at but I can also read that as we would "like" to add at least one pitcher. That's different than saying "we are going to" add at least one pitcher. Also, I would add that my comments on adding more than one pitcher were that sure it would be nice to improve over say Hammel but that the logistics don't appear at least in my opinion to be there. I did in fact mention the possibility of adding someone at next years deadline or adding Johnson midseason.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Until he solves the fact that he doesn't change speeds a ton (his sinker/fastball are almost identical speeds) and that he doesn't change eye level means he's not going to be a guy who gets through the third time of the lineup. So while his "numbers" are great, that has two costs on the team

1. No matter how well/poorly he pitches, the bullpen is going to pitch 3-4 innings every game
2. He's a guy who's going to struggle against the elite teams in this league who have depth to their lineups

I have no problem saying Hendricks should be in the rotation but all this talk about how good he is because of his FIP or other stats does not include the whole picture of how Joe manages him. It's not comparable to say Hendricks and Zimmerman are close due to numbers.

Having problems finding where I read this but apparently Maddon had such a short leash on Hendricks because hitters BA were climbing at an alarming rate that matched his times through the order....topping off at .324 the third time through. Was he just tiring early or was it something else? Other than changing your game plan mid-stream, I'm not sure how you would fix this.