10/12: NLDS Game 3: St. Louis Cardinals (1) at (1) Chicago Cubs 5:07PM TBS

Bear Pride

Bears Gonna Shock the World!
Liked Posts:
Ill give it to the cubs though, they have a hell of a team this year and Arrieta is an aminal on the mound. Regardless though, I am not okay with the cubs being good and i think they should suck again because what am i going to do when my team has a bad season. I used to always say "at least were better than the cubs"

Brett is that you?

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
But we do have to win THIS series before we can worry about the LCS. But yeah, let's try Hammel and yank him during any trouble and hope our pen and offense keep it up.

I still agree with SilenceS on this one. At some point you have to trust your staff behind your top 2 guys. Also, even if Hammel loses you have set it up so you're facing Lester vs not their best pitcher.

On a side note, can we give Fowler some props? Guy took a lot of heat early on in the year and post all-star break has been great including these games in the playoffs. He's 6 for 17 if my math is right in the playoffs with 2 HRs, 5 runs and 3 RBis.

Bear Pride

Liked Posts:
Man these thread are getting weird. I miss april when everyone thought the team was terrible and most people got along.

I remember everyone calling me 'emotional', and crazy for saying the Cubs were going to be great. Go figure?

Bear Pride

Liked Posts:
That so called ace held us in check in game one. We hardly hit it pass 2nd base even. What we have going is this time we are at home, though 2 or 3 runs probably aren't gonna win us the game. We are gonna need to put up runs kind like we did tonight. I think we can. I'm hoping at least.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk

It wasn't so much Lackey, imo, as the Cubs over celebrating the win against the Bucs and plain not being prepared for game 1. I think pitching Lackey early is playing right into the Cubs hands. :yep:

Bear Pride

Liked Posts:
I still agree with SilenceS on this one. At some point you have to trust your staff behind your top 2 guys. Also, even if Hammel loses you have set it up so you're facing Lester vs not their best pitcher.

On a side note, can we give Fowler some props? Guy took a lot of heat early on in the year and post all-star break has been great including these games in the playoffs. He's 6 for 17 if my math is right in the playoffs with 2 HRs, 5 runs and 3 RBis.

I agree Beck. Fowler's welcome back next year in my book. I guess it'll come down to the contract stuff, but he's done well enough to come back, imo. He's 29 and might settle for a reasonable contract since the Cubs are stacked.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:

Everything both you guys have said on Lester is right. It is playing percentages and you don't go with your guy on short rest when you have a lead in the series. Also there is no guarantee they win today whether it's Jon Lester or whoever. The key is hitting Lackey. If all that doesn't convince you let's just ask this; in game 5 in St. Louis who would you rather have on the mound Jon Lester, Jason Hammel or Kyle Hendricks on short rest? Yeah, easy choice. If the bats stay hot Hammel will be fine tonight.

Agree on Fowler. The guy has been a huge part of this team and its continued through the playoffs. You got him for Luis Valbuena, a guy who had no place on the team, and Dan Strailey. Win.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Lackey's era is almost twice as high on the road vs home--his strikeouts decrease by nearly 10% with his walks up 5%. Cubs have to do a better job working the pitch count against him. Wind will be blowing about 10mph out to Left Field/3rd base line

He did go 7IP with 0 ER against us at Wrigley on July 6th

Just have the umps check the bill of his cap early in the game. He touched the right side of the bill before every pitch Friday.

FrankieLyrical

South Side Chicagoan
Liked Posts:
I was out in shitty ass Cambridge, Wisconsin yesterday for work. Didn't miss a second of the game! #WeAreGood

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Just have the umps check the bill of his cap early in the game. He touched the right side of the bill before every pitch Friday.

Yah. I thought that was odd. That was brought up by a few people on the Twitter-verse and it wasn't typical of him to do that.

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

seriously. even my WIFE was commenting on him and his pre-pitch routine. wth.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

I wouldn't doubt it a bit. The Cards are starting to build a nice reputation in the vein of the New England Patriots. That said, Lackey hasn't been what anyone would call a "good" pitcher for 7 or 8 years. He's a middle of the rotation guy at best, so why is he the pitcher of choice for the Cardinals? He's got the catcher that frames better than anyone and a group of easily duped umpires that buy into it..... and/or .....maybe he is loading em up.

Bigfoot

CCS Enforcer
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Hell of a game yesterday was watching with my kids, and they kept asking why I was jumping around after every HR. I laughed and said waited my whole life for the Cubs to field a team like this. Have a way to go still, but damn is it fun to watch.

Chief Walking Stick

Heeeh heeeeh he said POLES
Donator
Liked Posts:
Hell of a game yesterday was watching with my kids, and they kept asking why I was jumping around after every HR. I laughed and said waited my whole life for the Cubs to field a team like this. Have a way to go still, but damn is it fun to watch.

Damn spoiled little bigfoot brats you have!

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
I remember everyone calling me 'emotional', and crazy for saying the Cubs were going to be great. Go figure?

Absolute kudos to you for the prediction. You've gotten it right so far. You can't say it wasn't emotional and kind of crazy to make that pick though can you? There was no logic to support it and there was a lot of baseball history, particularly of the play of rookies, suggesting that the team was a year away. I am in no means faulting you for jumping up and down that your prediction is coming true, anyone would rightly do the same, but your prediction was based on heart not logic and stats so you also have to understand why people doubted you.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Absolute kudos to you for the prediction. You've gotten it right so far. You can't say it wasn't emotional and kind of crazy to make that pick though can you? There was no logic to support it and there was a lot of baseball history, particularly of the play of rookies, suggesting that the team was a year away. I am in no means faulting you for jumping up and down that your prediction is coming true, anyone would rightly do the same, but your prediction was based on heart not logic and stats so you also have to understand why people doubted you.

I bet a 100 dollars that the Cubs would win it all before the season. I guess I called them doing this as well. :dealwithit:

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I bet a 100 dollars that the Cubs would win it all before the season. I guess I called them doing this as well. :dealwithit:
Who'd you bet with?