10/12: NLDS Game 3: St. Louis Cardinals (1) at (1) Chicago Cubs 5:07PM TBS

Bear Pride

Bears Gonna Shock the World!
Liked Posts:
Absolute kudos to you for the prediction. You've gotten it right so far. You can't say it wasn't emotional and kind of crazy to make that pick though can you? There was no logic to support it and there was a lot of baseball history, particularly of the play of rookies, suggesting that the team was a year away. I am in no means faulting you for jumping up and down that your prediction is coming true, anyone would rightly do the same, but your prediction was based on heart not logic and stats so you also have to understand why people doubted you.

Well, not to argue too much about the past, but I presented much more than a gut feeling and heart. Starting with Maddon who I believed would coach the rookies up quickly. I even stated he was worth 5 more wins and I was laughed at.

I stated many times that the Cubs pitching was going to be better than all the Sox fans were saying. All I heard was how good the Sox staff was. I explained many times that I've played on young teams before, and sometimes, young teams don't realize they are not supposed to be this good.

I felt we had the right mix of young talent and coaching for this to be true. All I heard was your 'logic' and that the young players were not going to pan out. There was a lot more than some Heart and emotion that made me think the Cubs were going to be great this year.

Bear Pride

Liked Posts:
I bet a 100 dollars that the Cubs would win it all before the season. I guess I called them doing this as well. :dealwithit:

Me too. It was the best odds you'll get on the Cubs again, that's for sure.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Well, not to argue too much about the past, but I presented much more than a gut feeling and heart. Starting with Maddon who I believed would coach the rookies up quickly. I even stated he was worth 5 more wins and I was laughed at.

I stated many times that the Cubs pitching was going to be better than all the Sox fans were saying. All I heard was how good the Sox staff was. I explained many times that I've played on young teams before, and sometimes, young teams don't realize they are not supposed to be this good.

I felt we had the right mix of young talent and coaching for this to be true. All I heard was your 'logic' and that the young players were not going to pan out. There was a lot more than some Heart and emotion that made me think the Cubs were going to be great this year.

I really don't want to argue either but everything you just pointed out were feelings you had. The stats didn't back them up. The numbers said no team had ever made the postseason with this many rookies, the numbers didn't come close to predicting the kind of season Arrieta had and there is no stat that effectively measure the impact of a manager. When I'm predicting something I look at what the numbers tell me and sometimes that doesn't work. I had the Nationals winning 105 games with the best pitching staff ever assembled. Whoops. So listen, as I said, I applaud your pick but you're even admitting you went with your gut. Sometimes that works because numbers sometimes tell lies. That was all I'm saying.

Bear Pride

Liked Posts:
I really don't want to argue either but everything you just pointed out were feelings you had. The stats didn't back them up. The numbers said no team had ever made the postseason with this many rookies, the numbers didn't come close to predicting the kind of season Arrieta had and there is no stat that effectively measure the impact of a manager. When I'm predicting something I look at what the numbers tell me and sometimes that doesn't work. I had the Nationals winning 105 games with the best pitching staff ever assembled. Whoops. So listen, as I said, I applaud your pick but you're even admitting you went with your gut. Sometimes that works because numbers sometimes tell lies. That was all I'm saying.

Yeah man, I get it, and I'm not mad at ya. However, this is one reason I'm not an 'all in' stats guy, and never will be. Imo, sometimes you have to look outside the stat box. Personally, I think Theo is a great example of both, which is another reason I liked the Cubs.

Yes, Theo is a big stats guy too, but his building of a 'hitter first' rebuild and character build are not stat lines. Heck, Ross wouldn't be here if true. There are a lot of non stat things the Cubs have done, imo.

Anyhow, I'm not arguing. Your post does bring into light for me that it is not all stats in this game. There are a ton of successful people in this World that had a gut feeling, and went against the grain.

One thing for sure... it's nice reflecting on this awesome rebuild by the Cubs, and it's pure enjoyment to see them playing so well. The kicker.... they're still a young team!

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Yeah man, I get it, and I'm not mad at ya. However, this is one reason I'm not an 'all in' stats guy, and never will be. Imo, sometimes you have to look outside the stat box. Personally, I think Theo is a great example of both, which is another reason I liked the Cubs.

Yes, Theo is a big stats guy too, but his building of a 'hitter first' rebuild and character build are not stat lines. Heck, Ross wouldn't be here if true. There are a lot of non stat things the Cubs have done, imo.

Anyhow, I'm not arguing. Your post does bring into light for me that it is not all stats in this game. There are a ton of successful people in this World that had a gut feeling, and went against the grain.

One thing for sure... it's nice reflecting on this awesome rebuild by the Cubs, and it's pure enjoyment to see them playing so well. The kicker.... they're still a young team!

I'm not all stats either, and one of my favorite things about this team is that while the base of everything they do is statistical they value things like character and psychology. I like that they want to believe in the kids they bring into the system and they let their manager do whatever it takes to motivate his charges. One thing we can all agree on is that this has been the most fun Cubs season in a long, long time. Probably ever.

Chief Walking Stick

Heeeh heeeeh he said POLES
Donator
Liked Posts:
Scary thing is, there are still tons of future studs in the farm system.

Going to need to mortgage some of those guys for starting pitching, though.

Bear Pride

Liked Posts:
I'm not all stats either, and one of my favorite things about this team is that while the base of everything they do is statistical they value things like character and psychology. I like that they want to believe in the kids they bring into the system and they let their manager do whatever it takes to motivate his charges. One thing we can all agree on is that this has been the most fun Cubs season in a long, long time. Probably ever.

Agreed man. Here's a video link saying something like I was trying to say about Theo.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:13877581

Enjoy the game man.

GO CUBS!!!

Bear Pride

Liked Posts:
Scary thing is, there are still tons of future studs in the farm system.

Going to need to mortgage some of those guys for starting pitching, though.

Exactly, some haven't realized this yet. There is another wave of young talent to come up yet. The Cubs have another top SS prospect yet, and a switch hitting 3rd baseman that some think could emerge next year. They just signed that Cuban CF as well who's 2 years away. I believe a pitcher or two could emerge as well yet.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Exactly, some haven't realized this yet. There is another wave of young talent to come up yet. The Cubs have another top SS prospect yet, and a switch hitting 3rd baseman that some think could emerge next year. They just signed that Cuban CF as well who's 2 years away. I believe a pitcher or two could emerge as well yet.

Gleyber Torres looks like the real deal at SS at 18. Eloy Jimenez is also 18 and his tools suggest a player very much like Jorge Soler. Willson Contreras looks poised to play with and eventually replace Montero at C and there are many, many others. Waves and waves of talent.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Edit: Whoops wrong thread thought this was game 4.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:

Only thing I'd add to this is that while they do indeed have a lot of talent, none of it at the moment is Bryant/Russell/Baez/Schwarber level talent and I think that's important to distinguish because of expectations. All of those players were top 10 talents when called up and most of the talent in the system presently is more Soler level or lower. Torres very likely could end up a top 10 talent if he continues and others could progress as well but I don't really want people assuming there's another 2 or 3 Bryant/Schwarber level players in the system presently.

Bear Pride

Liked Posts:
Only thing I'd add to this is that while they do indeed have a lot of talent, none of it at the moment is Bryant/Russell/Baez/Schwarber level talent and I think that's important to distinguish because of expectations. All of those players were top 10 talents when called up and most of the talent in the system presently is more Soler level or lower. Torres very likely could end up a top 10 talent if he continues and others could progress as well but I don't really want people assuming there's another 2 or 3 Bryant/Schwarber level players in the system presently.

Yeah, that why I said another wave........