2013 Draft Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Cubs are still percentage points ahead of SD for the #1 pick and still hold the tiebreaker due to previous season records. Colorado also sucks. If the Cubs are going to suck I wish the other teams wouldn't suck quite as much :D

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Padres!!!! :woot:

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
One of the few teams with worse starting pitching than us...

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Rockies and Cubs tied...Cubs have tiebreaker.

Padres trying their best to stay a game back of the Cubs.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Of course the Rockies would get pwned to stay tied with the Cubs...they have some time to make up those six runs though :D

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Huh, while I wasn't paying attention the Astros decided to suck again and the Cubs are just barely behind Houston now.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Rox lost, Stros lost, Pads losing.

And ya, Houston caught down to us just about, that's what us sweeping them will do... and no Lee now.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Padres have a bit of a cushion but the Rockies and Astros are too close for comfort :lol:

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
BaseballAmerica.com: Draft: Draft Database

So the Cubs have Almora at #6, slot recommendation is $3.25MM. Currently $276200 under budget, which means if they don't want to pay a tax they can give Almora $3526200. The total pool the Cubs have is $7933900, which means they can spend up to $396695 more without forfeiting a draft pick, but would have to pay MLB a $297521.25 overage tax. Almora can therefore earn up to $3922895 if the Cubs feel like paying the overage tax.

I think Almora signs for $3.5MM because the Cubs are probably going to play hardball and say that he's not worth giving up an extra $700K, and Almora is going to take it and like it.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
BaseballAmerica.com: Draft: Draft Database

So the Cubs have Almora at #6, slot recommendation is $3.25MM. Currently $276200 under budget, which means if they don't want to pay a tax they can give Almora $3526200. The total pool the Cubs have is $7933900, which means they can spend up to $396695 more without forfeiting a draft pick, but would have to pay MLB a $297521.25 overage tax. Almora can therefore earn up to $3922895 if the Cubs feel like paying the overage tax.

I think Almora signs for $3.5MM because the Cubs are probably going to play hardball and say that he's not worth giving up an extra $700K, and Almora is going to take it and like it.

The Cubs were something like 500k under the pool and I think they have another 400 or 500K they can go over that before forfeiting draft picks. I wonder if the plan is to take that extra cash to get guys like Tomscha and Wiseman if Almora balks at signing for close to slot.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Cubs were something like 500k under the pool and I think they have another 400 or 500K they can go over that before forfeiting draft picks. I wonder if the plan is to take that extra cash to get guys like Tomscha and Wiseman if Almora balks at signing for close to slot.

I think if Almora doesn't sign they lose the $3.25MM for sure and the 5% overage goes down to whatever it would be based on the lower pool amount. So it's to the Cubs' best interest to sign him just so they CAN spend that money.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think if Almora doesn't sign they lose the $3.25MM for sure and the 5% overage goes down to whatever it would be based on the lower pool amount. So it's to the Cubs' best interest to sign him just so they CAN spend that money.

You are right that the overage goes down. I forgot about that, and I am sure the plan is to sign Almora. I am just wondering if Wiseman was just a contigency plan since it is clear the Cubs knew the amount it would take to sign him.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
You are right that the overage goes down. I forgot about that, and I am sure the plan is to sign Almora. I am just wondering if Wiseman was just a contigency plan since it is clear the Cubs knew the amount it would take to sign him.

Which round was Wiseman again?

I think the max non-penalty bonus for guys past the 10th round is $100K and anything over still counts against the pool so it's not like they can spend that much anyway, with or without Almora.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Which round was Wiseman again?

I think the max non-penalty bonus for guys past the 10th round is $100K and anything over still counts against the pool so it's not like they can spend that much anyway, with or without Almora.

Right it counts against the pool, but the Cubs are under slot with what they have signed so far and even though the amount they can go over would be count nearly in half they would have a fair chunk of change to go overslot on guys outside of the 10 rounds. I guess I am just trying to guess what their backup plan if Almora does the unlikely and goes to college.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Right it counts against the pool, but the Cubs are under slot with what they have signed so far and even though the amount they can go over would be count nearly in half they would have a fair chunk of change to go overslot on guys outside of the 10 rounds. I guess I am just trying to guess what their backup plan if Almora does the unlikely and goes to college.

I don't think there's that much of a plan. They'll probably just save the money, pocket the #7 pick for next year and sign that kid instead with their increased pool amount. A bit of a mystery whether they go with the "shortchange kids with no alternatives" plan or the Astros' "let's sign a bunch of first-round worthy talent with smart budget management" plan.

Status
Not open for further replies.