2015 cubs in season trades

CSF77

Liked Posts:
• Left-hander Clayton Richard gave up three hits over seven scoreless innings for Triple-A Iowa on Tuesday, and was expected to be added to the Cubs' roster and fill the fifth starter spot in the rotation. The Cubs have been rumored to be looking for a fifth starter by Friday's non-waiver Trade Deadline.

"I know our guys are hunkered down in the war room going over the different options," Maddon said of the front office. "We have options regarding the fifth starter in-house. We'll see how it plays out."

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I still think they will hold the deck.

Baez has a high end potential. They are better off letting him prove his value on the major league roster.

Also Ramirez pulled a oblique. Not surprising. Bad luck year.

If Richard can bet some quality games for the rest of the season and they keep Schwarber in LF it bodes well looking ahead. Every game Schwarber has caught the starter gets lit up. They need to make that switch. The staff holds more value than the production out of the catcher.

Now if they can get Baez on the team and providing days off vs Herrera in the line up I'll be happy

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
You don't worry about a kid in A ball even if he is advanced. If Torres needs to be included for the betterment of the team, he will be.

Exactly, and they are hoping to convert Ian Happ to 2B this winter. If it works and he makes it up that's your man in 2017.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Torres is going to be a 2B in the majors. The Cubs need to keep him.

I wouldn't be so quick to move him to 2B. Reports I've read on cubs den on is defense have been quite decent at SS. Granted if Russell eventually moves to SS you may prefer him there but you only move people off positions when you have to.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I wouldn't be so quick to move him to 2B. Reports I've read on cubs den on is defense have been quite decent at SS. Granted if Russell eventually moves to SS you may prefer him there but you only move people off positions when you have to.

Every thing I have ever read said he would be moved off eventually. Of course, you would not do it now or even in the near future but I have always read that scouts believe he is second baseman.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Every thing I have ever read said he would be moved off eventually. Of course, you would not do it now or even in the near future but I have always read that scouts believe he is second baseman.

From what I've read that seemed to be the consensus but the thing is you never know with 16-17 year olds(which he would likely have been when most of these reports were being written). Just as a devil's advocate point here, MLB.com gives him grades of Run: 50 | Arm: 60 | Field: 50. They gave Russell Run: 55 | Arm: 60 | Field: 55. Now I know you're not as convinced as some that Russell is a long term SS because he could get bigger and lose mobility. But a lot of people view Russell as a plus defender. Torres might not end up Ozzie Smith out there but I'm guessing he'd be at least Castro level maybe a bit better from what I've lately been reading.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
6:36pm: The Mets and Brewers have indeed had recent talks regarding Gomez, according to FOX’s Ken Rosenthal and Jon Morosi (Twitter link), but no deal appears close at this time. The Mets are still looking at other hitters as well, per the FOX Sports duo.

6:31pm: The Mets have asked the Brewers about Carlos Gomez in recent talks with Milwaukee, reports Mike Puma of the New York Post (via Twitter). “The Mets want him,” says Puma.

6:10pm: The Mets are “very close to pulling off a big trade,” Marc Carig of Newsday reports on Twitter. There is momentum towards a deal for a “big bat,” Andy Martino of the New York Daily News tweets. Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com first connected New York to the chase for a “big bat” earlier today. Adam Rubin of ESPN.com tweeted that the team was working on a fan-pleasing trade.

This is where it gets interesting for the cubs given the Mets are chasing the last WC too.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Also in ref to torres it took me a bit to find it(thought it was on cubs den but was actually bleacher nation)

TL1961

Liked Posts:
As for criticism of Theo, it's nice to see his team is still in it, and building.

The other two teams that "won the offseason", miami and SD, are dumping salary and starting over

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
More on that mets trade

7:20pm: ESPN’s Jerry Crasnick tweets that the Brewers have been asking the Mets for one of the team’s “top four” starters (referring to Matt Harvey, Noah Syndergaard, Jacob deGrom and Steven Matz). He adds that it might be tough to finalize the deal without Milwaukee dropping its asking price.

Rosenthal tweets that one scenario which has been discussed would send Wheeler and Flores to Milwaukee.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:

It'll be interesting to see who they gave up.

dreadpirateroberts

Liked Posts:
John Arguello (@CubsDen): Have heard Cubs still talking with San Diego and deal could get big. Astros seem to be big competitor, though.

John Arguello (@CubsDen): Interest in Cubs side still seems to be Ross and Kimbrel. We all heard earlier that the Padres like Javy. Don't know much else from there.

Interesting.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Those who kept saying why deal for hamels or give up prospects for price now... wait til off season for FA

Those FA are being dealt and most likely extended with new team.

Hamels about to be dealt to Rangers, Price to Dodgers ( you know they will extend )

PickSix

Liked Posts:
Those who kept saying why deal for hamels or give up prospects for price now... wait til off season for FA

Hamels about to be dealt to Rangers, Price to Dodgers ( you know they will extend )

Why would Hamels need to be extended?

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:

What benefit does that give to Price? If they offer him 7 years/$210 mil he'll know he's leaving money on the table. He's going to test the market some estimates have the price going up to $230 million.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
What benefit does that give to Price? If they offer him 7 years/$210 mil he'll know he's leaving money on the table. He's going to test the market some estimates have the price going up to $230 million.
Seriously. . Who else besides the Dodgers will be able to pony up 30 mil per for him and who wouldn't wanna pitch for dodgers now?

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Seriously. . Who else besides the Dodgers will be able to pony up 30 mil per for him and who wouldn't wanna pitch for dodgers now?

The Cubs, Yankees, Red Sox as well as the Dodgers will be in on Price. If the top money is in LA he'll sign there. Makes zero sense to extend first. How does he know the market until it sets itself?