2015 Spring Training Thread

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
3 days until we see some Spring Training ball. I know its just Spring Training but its better then what we have right now. MLB renewed my package without me being aware but o well, at least I get to see more spring training game.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
3 days until we see some Spring Training ball. I know its just Spring Training but its better then what we have right now. MLB renewed my package without me being aware but o well, at least I get to see more spring training game.

Agreed. Enough speculation. Ready for some play, even if it is ST.

Zvbxrpl

Liked Posts:
Cubs twitter showing Soler showed up to camp at 240 lbs, up 25 lbs from last year.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
That worries me. He already was a big kid now he is bigger. He has had leg trouble. Maybe he will be stronger at this weight but he needs to keep some of his speed. We will see

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Hendricks, 25, was impressive last season, posting a 7-2 record and 2.46 ERA in 13 starts with the Cubs. He totaled 102 2/3 innings at Triple-A Iowa and another 80 1/3 innings in the big leagues. His goal this season is to reach 200 innings.

“That’s one of the biggest goals I have for myself is consistency, No. 1, but then eating up innings,” he said. “That’s something I pride myself on is staying in ballgames and giving my team a chance to win. I think with the number I threw last year, 200 shouldn’t be out of the question for me.”
http://muskat.mlblogs.com/2015/03/03/33-hendricks-aiming-for-200/

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
MESA, Ariz. -- Chicago Cubs centerfield prospect Albert Almora almost bristles at the question: What happened last year?

After hitting .270 with 69 strikeouts and just 14 walks split between Single-A and Double-A last season, the former No. 1 pick of the Cubs dropped out of the top 100 in ESPN.com’s prospect rankings. But Almora doesn’t feel like it was a lost year.
http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/cubs/post/_/id/28972/time-for-albert-almora-to-use-what-hes-learned

I didn't know whether to put this one in the ST thread or the prospect thread. It will be interesting to follow whether or not he does get his pitch and walks more, too.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Rizzo to bat second tom. Maddon is saying not to read into lineups during ST but I had this theory about Rizzo in the 2 hole. Im just excted to see some ball tom.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Rizzo to bat second tom. Maddon is saying not to read into lineups during ST but I had this theory about Rizzo in the 2 hole. Im just excted to see some ball tom.

I don't really see what it accomplishes. If that's what he ends up doing for the season you're probably talking Soler 3rd and Castro 4th. It's honestly not even a case of that many more PAs. Last season the 2nd hitters for the cubs had 731 PAs to the 715 3rd position hit. So, 16 PAs over an entire season is hardly reasoning to go rather unorthodox. I think you'd be far better of with Rizzo, Soler, Castro as 3-5. Maybe when Bryant is called up you reevaluate but I think you'd just assume hit Castro second as opposed to 4th. He's clearly an atypical #4 hitter.

Additionally, I'm not entirely convinced by the idea of "protection" but if you are the type that buys into such things you're kind of wasting Rizzo by batting him after Fowler who's never need it. Given how Maddon played Zobrist and the obvious comparisons that are already thrown out about Alcantara I still think he makes the most sense there. My biased feelings toward him aside, they also batted Baez there last season. I personally wouldn't bat him there again but they've done it in the past. Another option would be to bat Soler there. That would give you Fowler(switch), Soler(right), Rizzo(left) mix and would again give "protection." Soler has, at least in the minors, a stellar walk rate and pretty much gives you the same qualities Rizzo does. That'd still leave you with a rather weird Castro as a 4 hitter.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
Either Rizzo or Soler at the two hole makes sense. But Soler seems to have a lot more power, so putting him third is ideal. You want the two guys who can see the most pitches in the 1 and 2 holes as they get the most at bats and drive up pitch counts early.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Does Soler have "a lot more power" than Rizzo?

Rizzo was leading the NL in HR when he got hurt last year.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
Does Soler have "a lot more power" than Rizzo?

Rizzo was leading the NL in HR when he got hurt last year.

I am being speculative, but I think Soler's power ceiling is a lot higher.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
I am being speculative, but I think Soler's power ceiling is a lot higher.

Soler's power potential is probably a bit higher than Rizzo's, especially with the added muscle this year, but I think you call both of them in the 30-35 HR range as a general rule with Rizzo maybe a bit ahead as of now just from experience.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't really see what it accomplishes. If that's what he ends up doing for the season you're probably talking Soler 3rd and Castro 4th. It's honestly not even a case of that many more PAs. Last season the 2nd hitters for the cubs had 731 PAs to the 715 3rd position hit. So, 16 PAs over an entire season is hardly reasoning to go rather unorthodox. I think you'd be far better of with Rizzo, Soler, Castro as 3-5. Maybe when Bryant is called up you reevaluate but I think you'd just assume hit Castro second as opposed to 4th. He's clearly an atypical #4 hitter.

Additionally, I'm not entirely convinced by the idea of "protection" but if you are the type that buys into such things you're kind of wasting Rizzo by batting him after Fowler who's never need it. Given how Maddon played Zobrist and the obvious comparisons that are already thrown out about Alcantara I still think he makes the most sense there. My biased feelings toward him aside, they also batted Baez there last season. I personally wouldn't bat him there again but they've done it in the past. Another option would be to bat Soler there. That would give you Fowler(switch), Soler(right), Rizzo(left) mix and would again give "protection." Soler has, at least in the minors, a stellar walk rate and pretty much gives you the same qualities Rizzo does. That'd still leave you with a rather weird Castro as a 4 hitter.

It's far from a full-blown trend, but an interesting little blip has appeared in some Major League lineups in the first week of the season. And even if it doesn't catch on in a big way, clubs might be wise to pay attention.

The Yankees and the Twins have both experimented with batting their best hitter second. It's nontraditional, but it's smart. While neither Robinson Cano nor Joe Mauer fits the prototype of the No. 2 hitter -- a speedy, slappy bat-handler -- they're both well-suited to the actual demands of the job.

The No. 2 hitter, according to the great "The Book: Playing the Percentages in Baseball," is one of the most essential spots in the lineup. It comes up with about as many RBI chances as the No. 3 spot, but obviously comes up more often. Thus, while historically the idea is that you should bat your best hitter third, in fact he should hit second or fourth (where there are even more chances to drive in runs but of course fewer plate appearances).

Neither manager, Joe Girardi nor Ron Gardenhire, made a big deal of the move, and in each case it's not likely to remain in place for long. But there's some real sense to both decisions. Cano and Mauer are both all-around hitters who can get on base for the men behind them and drive in the guys in front of them. And the one worry about batting a star hitter second in the National League, that he's only two spots behind the pitcher, doesn't apply in the American League.

"I want [Mauer] to bat first, second and third, but I can only bat him in one place, so we chose second," Gardenhire said.

Gardenhire pointed to an old philosophy that Tony La Russa was fond of: having power early in the lineup to get a pitcher's attention. La Russa often referred to having "damage" in the two-spot, a place where he put hitters such as Jim Edmonds and Larry Walker. Those hitters, of course, were both also high-OBP men, as are Cano and Mauer.

Girardi also noted that moving Cano to second, with Kevin Youkilis third, breaks up a run of left-handed hitters in the Yankees order.

"It's just to try to not make it so easy on the other team," he said.

While the fundamentals, getting on base and hitting for power, are most important, a secondary consideration for a good No. 2 hitter is avoiding the double play. It's assumed that your leadoff man is going to be getting on base at a pretty good clip, and that the batters in the 3-4-5 spots are the sorts who might turn those baserunners into runs. So a hitter who has a proclivity to hit into twin-killings is a bad fit for the two-hole.

That's actually one area where Cano and Mauer fall a bit short. They both hit into their share of double plays, though neither is an extreme DP threat. It helps that they're both left-handed, making it a smidge easier to get to first base in time.

In the end, both Mauer and Cano will likely be hitting third (or perhaps fourth) before too terribly long. But it's not as odd as some people might think to have them hitting in the No. 2 spot for at least a little while.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/43974688/matthew-leach

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Cubs open the Cactus League season with split squad games Thursday. Here are the lineups:

Cubs vs. Athletics in Mesa:
Fowler CF
Rizzo 1B
Castro SS
Montero C
Baez 2B
Coghlan LF
Olt 3B
Sweeney DH
Lake RF

T. Wood P

Other pitchers on schedule: Britton, Bueno, Ramirez, Carter, Roach, Germen.

Cubs vs. Giants in Scottsdale:
La Stella 2B
Denorfia LF
Alcantara CF
Soler RF
Castillo C
Bryant 3B
Schwarber DH
Valaika 1B
Russell SS

Turner P

Other pitchers on schedule: Ortiz, Cervenka, Black, Parker, De Leon, Johnson

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
The No. 2 hitter, according to the great "The Book: Playing the Percentages in Baseball," is one of the most essential spots in the lineup. It comes up with about as many RBI chances as the No. 3 spot, but obviously comes up more often..

You've talked about this before. I get the concept but given where their current line up is i'd suggest it's premature. Like I said, when Bryant comes up maybe you reevaluate though if you go with typical thinking of breaking up R/L matchups given that Fowler switch hits it makes a lot of sense to put a righty in front of Rizzo hitting 3rd besides the other things I've mentioned. Also, I think the concept you're angling at here works better with a high average hitter vs someone who's good(but not amazing) average with a high walk rate which again is sort of more up Castro's alley presently.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
You've talked about this before. I get the concept but given where their current line up is i'd suggest it's premature. Like I said, when Bryant comes up maybe you reevaluate though if you go with typical thinking of breaking up R/L matchups given that Fowler switch hits it makes a lot of sense to put a righty in front of Rizzo hitting 3rd besides the other things I've mentioned. Also, I think the concept you're angling at here works better with a high average hitter vs someone who's good(but not amazing) average with a high walk rate which again is sort of more up Castro's alley presently.

This isnt my concept. This is the concept of Tom Tango and two other baseball sabermetric guys that are held in the same regard as Bill James.