2015 Spring Training Thread

Bear Pride

Bears Gonna Shock the World!
Liked Posts:
I like Schwarber a lot with his bat but it legit means nothing. Spring training means very little.

I think you miss the point. Of course ST means nothing. But sometimes, things like this are a sign of things to come. And as you look back on great players and their starts, that's when you realize sometimes it does matter.

All it means now is that it is a possible start to a great career. It's all about romanticizing the moment, but I suppose everything is black and white to you as a metric guy. The point is that these are the types of things that great players do.

#staytuned
#havefaith

Bear Pride

Liked Posts:
Meanwhile, Lester strikes out 3 and looks sharp in his first outing.

Jon Lester pitches 2 sharp innings

MESA, Ariz. -- In front of the largest spring training crowd ever, new Chicago Cubs pitcher Jon Lester threw as advertised on Friday, facing the minimum in his two-inning debut in a Cubs uniform.

Lester got ahead of all but one Cincinnati Reds batter while striking out three in front of 15,331. He gave up one hit, a broken-bat single to Chris Dominguez in the second inning, which was quickly erased by a double-play ball. Lester threw so efficiently he wrapped up his day with a few more tosses in the bullpen..........

[+] Enlarge

Joe Camporeale/USA TODAY SportsJon Lester dazzled in his
first spring start for the Cubs, facing the minimum against the Reds.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Yu Darvish facing Tommy John surgery, possibly.

I think Edwin Jackson would fit perfectly there.

And by "fit perfectly", I mean only that Cub fans would love for it to happen. :)

C'mon, Rangers. We'll even give you Olt back.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
I think you miss the point. Of course ST means nothing. But sometimes, things like this are a sign of things to come. And as you look back on great players and their starts, that's when you realize sometimes it does matter.

All it means now is that it is a possible start to a great career. It's all about romanticizing the moment, but I suppose everything is black and white to you as a metric guy. The point is that these are the types of things that great players do.

#staytuned
#havefaith

St stats are meaningless.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
St stats are meaningless.

Yep. I remember when jay fox batted like .400 and hit 8 bombs in spring. He was in Japan two years later. Schwarber is a good spec but it means absolutely nothing of things to come. If it comes, it won't be because of a homerun in his first spring training

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bear Pride

Liked Posts:
Yep. I remember when jay fox batted like .400 and hit 8 bombs in spring. He was in Japan two years later. Schwarber is a good spec but it means absolutely nothing of things to come. If it comes, it won't be because of a homerun in his first spring training

Once again, you just don't have the personality to understand the point that was made. Have fun preaching all your stats to someone else cuz quite honestly, you bore the fuck out of me!

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Once again, you just don't have the personality to understand the point that was made. Have fun preaching all your stats to someone else cuz quite honestly, you bore the fuck out of me!

No, you are over emotional and this post shows it. Whats funny is I am not a Sabers guy at all. I understand Sabers and realize how they help in evaluating. It seems like you do not and think everyone that does is a saber geek. I suggest calming down and stop being so emotional over every post. Schwarber grand slam means absolutely nothing. Evaluate him during his actual season. You are the same guy that didnt want Lester over 1 start. You are over emotional.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
So.........If Kris Bryant goes 20-35 with 9 HR's and Javy Baez goes 4-38 with 27 SO's, the stats are meaningless? :thinking:

Yes, Its spring training. Its like saying a pre season football game matters. It doesnt. Now, you arent really comparing apples to apples. You are talking two stud prospects with unlimited potential. Would you say Kris Bryant is trash if he struck out at a 40% clip in spring training? I bet you wouldnt because spring training means nothing.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:

Read something on cubs den IIRC that suggested some within the cubs think he's as good as Bryant. Whether or not that's accurate we obviously don't know. But if it's true that's pretty lofty praise.

Edit: apparently someone already mentioned this and i didn't read far enough back.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Yes, Its spring training. Its like saying a pre season football game matters. It doesnt. Now, you arent really comparing apples to apples. You are talking two stud prospects with unlimited potential. Would you say Kris Bryant is trash if he struck out at a 40% clip in spring training? I bet you wouldn't because spring training means nothing.
To the guys on the bubble/in position battles pre-season football does matter just as Spring Training matters to figure out who that fifth starter will be when breaking camp, etc. To suggest Spring Training matters not at all makes zero sense. In the case of Schwarber it doesn't matter much. They aren't going to change the track he is on simply because of what he does in ST.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
To the guys on the bubble/in position battles pre-season football does matter just as Spring Training matters to figure out who that fifth starter will be when breaking camp, etc. To suggest Spring Training matters not at all makes zero sense. In the case of Schwarber it doesn't matter much. They aren't going to change the track he is on simply because of what he does in ST.

100% agree

People were going all over the place with it. I was talking being good in spring training means absolutely nothing come the season. It isnt a jump start to anything. If the prospect would fail or succeed, it would have absolutely nothing to do with hitting a homer in spring training. Is this more clear?

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
100% agree

People were going all over the place with it. I was talking being good in spring training means absolutely nothing come the season. It isnt a jump start to anything. If the prospect would fail or succeed, it would have absolutely nothing to do with hitting a homer in spring training. Is this more clear?

I understand what you are saying, but Spring training just like pre-season football, is evaluating talent and deciding who goes forward, who gets cut, who starts etc...

If it meant nothing, the 25 man roster would already be established.

That is why you hear all of the time how a person made the team out of Spring training, just like Javy Baez for example could easily not make the team because of a poor Spring training.

Now, to say wins and losses are meaningless in Spring training? That I agree with.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Read something on cubs den IIRC that suggested some within the cubs think he's as good as Bryant. Whether or not that's accurate we obviously don't know. But if it's true that's pretty lofty praise.

Edit: apparently someone already mentioned this and i didn't read far enough back.

I dont see near the power potential. I see 30ish power in Schwarber. I see 50ish in Bryant or high 40's some years. I think Schwarber will strike out less. I wouldnt call him Bryant IMO, but his bat is really good. He needs to keep his weight in check and the Cubs def. need another power lefty.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I understand what you are saying, but Spring training just like pre-season football, is evaluating talent and deciding who goes forward, who gets cut, who starts etc...

If it meant nothing, the 25 man roster would already be established.

That is why you hear all of the time how a person made the team out of Spring training, just like Javy Baez for example could easily not make the team because of a poor Spring training.

Now, to say wins and losses are meaningless in Spring training? That I agree with.

The roster is 95% made before the season starts. I said I agree that its for those last 3 or so spots. My OP was that hitting a homer in spring training means nothing to a career.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Early prediction:

BP: Rondon, Ramirez, Strop, Grimm, Motte, Coke, Wada

Rotation: Lester, Arrieta, Hammel, Hendricks, Wood
(Jackson gone)

OF: Fowler, Soler, (Coghlan/Denorfia)
IF: Olt, Castro, Baez, Rizzo
Catcher: Montenero, Ross

MI: Alcantara, La Stella

24 total. Now they could retain Jackson or Castillo but I don't see them carrying 2 players just trying to build up some trade value. Olt I'm predicting to break out this year. I'll leave it at that.

I'm just waiting for that major injury in S/T where the Cubs can get a sell off. Hunter already went down so anything can happen.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
The roster is 95% made before the season starts. I said I agree that its for those last 3 or so spots. My OP was that hitting a homer in spring training means nothing to a career.
No, but it is pretty cool to not only have it be the first ST AB on his birthday. ST doesn't mean a whole lot. Agreed. Those who are anointed can do as they need. Those who are behind one of the anointed could light it up in ST and still not get a serious look from the organization.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
100% agree

Well, that makes a little more sense. The earlier posts saying ST means absolutely nothing made no sense to me.

Some players are on the team regardless of their ST - Rizzo, Lester, etc.
Some players are starting in minors regardless of their ST - Schwarber, Almora, etc.

ST means a LOT to many players in between.