2019 Free Agency/Trade Edition

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Seabroke does get a bad rap, buy he knows he has slowed down, he knows he cant keep up anymore, and he thinks he is putting himself in position where he does not end up having to chase.
No, the seabroke problem is all on Bowman. Why would anyone give out a contract, 1.3 million higher than one of the best defenders the franchise has ever had?

They say nobody would have turned down that deal, where I say, you got the deal, now pay it back by waiving the NMC.

I don't even grudge the contract. Seabrook did alot of dirty work for the Club. He fucking earned the contract and from a GM standpoint it was maybe stupid unless its something he can point to, or a promise that was made before the contract to fit extra guys for 2015..or whatever...

The fact is they rewarded their guy who had already earned it. As a fan I might think its stupid on the one hand, but on the other I am glad the dude got paid. It smells like a promise too because maybe the 1.3 million extra over Keith was justified by the year or two he went underpaid on the promise.

Its hard to believe he would be signed at the time of the contract...but then again alot of things are done after a cup win...where the club is like "Whatever" because they are on the pinnacle.

On the pinnacle its ok to reward your own. I imagine the core of a hockey team to be alot like rugby in how close they all are. From a physical man standpoint that guy is your leader...and the teammates needed him to get paid for what he did.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I just want Perlini to get official.

I think AA is safe until Dach is better at faceoffs than him. If Dach gets 9 ... that timeline could be extended. Once Dach is better at faceoffs than him you are looking at a roster slot as something of extreme value. Kucherev and Kubalik have shown the potential to increase that roster spot value as well....but if Dach could get to 35-40% faceoffs sooner than later I think you go ahead an pay some future wealth to open the spot and the salary...

The trade we can make involves like AA + (Murhpy/de Haan/Maata) or Crow mid season/ even Lehner...

Either way we could bring up a young defender(if one like Joker becomes ready), pay with a younger defender and fwd prospect and picks, and create an easy 6-12 million on a moments notice now.

Something tells me they will make a mini decision on AA after camp, or after the 9. If we keep AA all season and let him go rather than pay to remove, he fills a roster spot and we don't have to protect him...he also can win 35% faceoffs and gives us the center depth we need if we don't keep Dach?

I also believe they want to keep the vetaran defense to look at for at least the beginning if not to the trade deadline...

probably a plan to start Joker building more momentum in Rockford.

And maybe even the Lehner 1 year contract length was to make Lehner a free agent so they don't have to protect him when they have to protect Lehtenan or Nalimov or both somehow.

I think the team is in incredible shape and don't understand the pessimism.

All they really need is a loan on a top 6 2-way wing guy until they create their own (Kurashev, Barrett, Dach)...
and a better speed defender (Murphy) and maybe another young speed defender after they trade Murphy for a competent skater that can also play and isn't just show muscle...Murphy falls in the looks like tarzan plays like jane athlete profile for me...I don't care what anyone says...he isn't shit like Keith with his stick if he does get back anyway...and he doesn't move anybody anywhere anyway....whats the point of being fast?

And Kurashev is a center...so just fucking trade AA out of here.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
They have been trying to trade AA for over 2 years now, there are either no takers or they need to add prospects who will most probably never play here anyway and Stan wont do it.

As far as not grudging the seabroke contract, how can't you. Best players need to be the best paid players, so a robin to batman cant be making 1.3 million more than batman. I know Keith should not go thru life ever being able to not afford whatever he wants, but whether you are a salesman doing more business than a higher paid salesman, a ditch digger who always has the shovel in your hand compared to the guy in the back hoe, or the checkout girl at Walmart that gets twice the shoppers out of the store happy, human nature will always set in. There should have never been an instance where Keith was not top paid, but that is what Bowman created for a guy that has been down hill since he signed his name.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
They have been trying to trade AA for over 2 years now, there are either no takers or they need to add prospects who will most probably never play here anyway and Stan wont do it.

As far as not grudging the seabroke contract, how can't you. Best players need to be the best paid players, so a robin to batman cant be making 1.3 million more than batman. I know Keith should not go thru life ever being able to not afford whatever he wants, but whether you are a salesman doing more business than a higher paid salesman, a ditch digger who always has the shovel in your hand compared to the guy in the back hoe, or the checkout girl at Walmart that gets twice the shoppers out of the store happy, human nature will always set in. There should have never been an instance where Keith was not top paid, but that is what Bowman created for a guy that has been down hill since he signed his name.

It's not 100% cut-and-dried like that.

Keith's deal was signed under completely different CBA rules--when players tended to eschew high per-year cap dollars in exchange for long-terms stability and overall payment, and in addition, when their front-loaded contracts were getting down the pennies, they could take the option of retiring without leaving money on the table--before recapture was a thing.

Ergo, it's an apples-to-oranges comparison. You're looking at 72M over the course of 13 years--full NMC throughout, with a initial cap% of 9.75 and an initial raw salary of 8M back in 2011 for Keith.

Contrast to Seabrook, His deal is 55M over 8 years, with an initial cap% of 9.63, and an initial raw salary of 9M in 2017. His NMC turns limited in the last 2 years of his deal.

If Keith's deal was under the current CBA rules, chances are his actual cap hit would have been closer to 8M. Since the cap really has never gone down if he would have signed later, chances are it would be even higher (just like if Seabs signed earlier it would have been lower). Plus Seabs could be traded to a hockey graveyard the last 2 years of his deal--Keith? Not without his consent--barring a compliance buy-out of course.

To make a more direct comparison: Seabs previous deal was 29M in 2012: Basically 5 years, 5.9AAV, 9.76% in the 1st year, 7M raw salary, and from no clauses, to 3 years of a M-NTC, to a full NMC. If Seabs' was as-worth it as Keith, surely his deal signed around the same as Keith's within the same CBA rules would have been more lucrative especially given that the cap% is close enough to be the same.

But his current one, yeah. something on it should have been lessened: Cap dollars, time, or even the strength of his NMC. Something should have been less restrictive. Keith you can't really complain about because even for years like 2018 where he was a liability it's completely offset by him making a fraction of his worth--like in 2013. Can't really say that about Seabs' current deal.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

AA is not completely untradeable, its really a matter of whether Kurashev or Dach have surpassed him...or it isn't worth it, just let his year expire and don't overpay to move it especially as a rostered player you don't need to "protect" next draft.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
AA is not completely untradeable, its really a matter of whether Kurashev or Dach have surpassed him...or it isn't worth it, just let his year expire and don't overpay to move it especially as a rostered player you don't need to "protect" next draft.
The other thing to remember about AA is that up until 9 days ago, he still had a L-NTC/NMC. So while @anotheridiot could be 100% correct in that we can't get jack or shit for him, the flipside is that within the restrictions of his clauses we probably couldn't have moved him to a team that would be willing to take him and thus makes him look as untradeable as Seabrook.

I think we'll see through this summer and the ensuing season based on his play vs. everyone else who could take over his slot.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
The other thing to remember about AA is that up until 9 days ago, he still had a L-NTC/NMC. So while @anotheridiot could be 100% correct in that we can't get jack or shit for him, the flipside is that within the restrictions of his clauses we probably couldn't have moved him to a team that would be willing to take him and thus makes him look as untradeable as Seabrook.

I think we'll see through this summer and the ensuing season based on his play vs. everyone else who could take over his slot.

I was just going to post that about AA. Something I didn’t know until watching this. Guess it’s no secret we want to shed a few players

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
When AA played well on offense, it was with Kane and Panarin, two guys who could possess the puck long enough for AA to get to the net. If its dump and chase, AA never gets there. So I dont think his slot is actually as a second or third line center, its getting someone willing to camp in front of the net. When he got down to 30-35% on faceoffs, that puck possession was even less.
Shaw will go there, Caggula will go there, will that be enough or will Shaw and Caggs be the same guy for the 12 dressed forwards and only one play?

I really dont get the Hawks system, because there seem to be skaters at the front of the net, but when the puck goes behind the goal, they go and chase it, usually putting 2-3 skaters against 3 or 4 defenders and nobody in front of the net.

I am probably wrong, but it sure seems like leaving the net is part of the hawk system instead of other teams that just keep a guy there or replace the guy chasing behind. That is the majority of what I usually see, three skaters behind the goal, two defenders at the blue line, 55 feet of ice with no blackhawks.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
And with that, Joker out, Nylander in.

Not a fan of this move, but what can you do? Good luck in Buffalo, Joker.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
yeah, thats the state of our franchise, keep moving the highly touted picks and start with someone else's players.

Looking on the list of elite prospects for the hawks, I saw Joker drop down to like 8. So they definitely dont think he will be the NHL guy they expected. Glad he is getting a shot.

At least we only have to see him twice a year, and not like Lord Byram in Colorado.

Guess Nylander was the 8th over all in 2016, so another top pick that has yet to pan out.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
We don't need Joker guys, we have Seabrook.... duh

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
It's time for Stan to go.

"Bowman should hope so. With this trade, he now has dealt all of the Hawks’ first-round picks from 2011 through 2017. They include Mark McNeill, Phillip Danault, Teuvo Teravainen, Ryan Hartman, Schmaltz and now Jokiharju."

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:

"Bowman should hope so. With this trade, he now has dealt all of the Hawks’ first-round picks from 2011 through 2017. They include Mark McNeill, Phillip Danault, Teuvo Teravainen, Ryan Hartman, Schmaltz and now Jokiharju."

Yeah, its commitment to your choices. Teuvo hurt the most out of the list so far, but maybe its time to change some of these scouts making these choices if they are just getting trade chips and not players that can help your team. I hope Dach works out, but when Byram is a day 1 starter and difference maker in Colorado and Dach is playing in some other country, its gonna hurt.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

Unfortunately I think Stan's gambit this offseason will work, and he'll be on for awhile.

We know his neck is in the noose and a failure this season means he's promoted to jizzmopper at the local peepshow booth. However, with loading up like he did I think he's guaranteed just enough of an increase on paper to make the playoffs and maybe even make the 2nd round. That should be just enough to save his hide this season and maybe get an extension.

But with this move it's obvious he's gambling the future for a long shot now. After this season the cap belt gets tighter and Keith, Seabs, and to a lesser extent Toews and Kane get older, and so far none of his acquisitions are true top guys. Even though I had Joker pegged as a Hjammer-type 2nd pair anchor, he and Debrincat are/were the closest to being the next guys--and maybe Dach. How much longer can the 'hawks kick that can down the road?

Plus, Mitchell's still a ?. Boqvist and Beaudin still need to hit and hit well. Joker was a good piece of insurance that Stan traded out thinking it will be Strome (and not Pisani) all over again.

On one hand, I think making the playoffs should help--and I don't really see us missing unless the floor completely falls out. On the other hand, I think Stan's shortsightedness might doom the 'hawks to mediocrity for awhile--especially if Boqvist and Beaudin are parlayed into gamble trades as well.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
I have never understood this clarification, he's not getting traded in the central, why the fuck not? I would love him to be an albatross for a division rival. What better place for him. I can understand that if it means also sending a good young asset but if you go bad contact and draft picks for slightly less bad contract then who cares whre he goes. I would send Seabrook to St Louis or Nashville in a heartbeat if I could.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Plus, Mitchell's still a ?. Boqvist and Beaudin still need to hit and hit well. Joker was a good piece of insurance that Stan traded out thinking it will be Strome (and not Pisani) all over again.

Hit as far as play well right, its never a prerequisite for hawk defenders to hit.

I dont think we will ever see Bovquist or Beaudin in a hawks sweater. I dont think Byram would have made this team as it stands now.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:

This guy is usually money on trades going down

Asminov now that his nmc expired and we paid out his signing bonus for the year attractive to teams

Perlini being restricted fa and the abundance of forwards is also being shopped

He thinks we are looking mostly to free up cap so probably looking for prospects/draft picks not sure what we could land

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:

This guy is usually money on trades going down

Asminov now that his nmc expired and we paid out his signing bonus for the year attractive to teams

Perlini being restricted fa and the abundance of forwards is also being shopped

He thinks we are looking mostly to free up cap so probably looking for prospects/draft picks not sure what we could land
He didn't give any information that isn't already known and what prediction he did give was based off someone else's information. That was a complete waste of time but thanks for posting anyway.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
yeah, no new information.

What is the deal with the restricted free agent in Perlini anyway. Do they only have to give him a qualifying offer if he is not signed by december? He is then being paid, what 3/4ths of the money? It makes more sense in other sports where they have to at least give them the offer before free agency starts, but as of now, anyone can sign Perlini to a contract and the hawks just simply have to sign him for that or allow him to leave. Right now they are looking to trade him. If someone wants him, they can just sign him for 2 million, the hawks cant afford that, so he will go anyway. I mean, they added about 10 million to goalie and d man, added 3.9 with Shaw,

There is no big dollars that are going to be involved so I am not even sure about compensation.