I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
I mean if we really wanted it LaVine gets you #3+Simons. Maybe a little more.
#3 and simons would be a worthwhile consideration

Axl Rose

and I knew the silence of the world
Liked Posts:
It's destiny that we get Scoot and he wears #26.

:bullstroll:

Axl Rose

Liked Posts:
It’s a no brainer. POR wouldn’t though
It's pretty obvious that they want Siakam i mean they are all but publicly begging the Raptors at this point. However if Raps were to balk i do think Blazers would seriously consider doing that deal. I could see them being real interested in Jaylen Brown too though.

Lowkey if i were the Blazers im cashing in on Lillard and taking my chances on Scoot being a Morant/Rose.

Last edited:

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
It’s a no brainer. POR wouldn’t though
Logic dictates that if it's a good deal for the Bulls...probably a negative chance the other side is even considering it

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
No surprise here. Not really a good market for Vuc out there right now and no real upgrades available on the market for AK to explore. Plus the whole dynamic of "losing the trade" if you just dump him and put another Drummond level replacement on the roster...no way AK wasn't going to at least try to bring him back.

Hopefully they get a good short term team friendly deal

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
No surprise here. Not really a good market for Vuc out there right now and no real upgrades available on the market for AK to explore. Plus the whole dynamic of "losing the trade" if you just dump him and put another Drummond level replacement on the roster...no way AK wasn't going to at least try to bring him back.

Hopefully they get a good short term team friendly deal
Carter, Wagner and whatever Orlando gets at #11 for Vucevic....?

I do agree letting an asset walk for nothing is never smart business (unless the player is just irreparably toxic). If he signs a short-term deal around his prior AAV, that isn't a death sentence. It would still be a tradable contract moving forward. The bigger indictment would be to not try and unload LaVine. The trade kicker in his deal will make it interesting. He's just isn't a winning player. Somebody could be enticed by the scoring and the usage, who knows?

Their primary goal this offseason needs to be to regain some flexibility and rebuild draft assets. We're still going to owe a pick to San Antonio for DeMar, I believe. And we're likely not going to get that Portland pick conveyed anytime soon.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Carter, Wagner and whatever Orlando gets at #11 for Vucevic....?

I do agree letting an asset walk for nothing is never smart business (unless the player is just irreparably toxic). If he signs a short-term deal around his prior AAV, that isn't a death sentence. It would still be a tradable contract moving forward. The bigger indictment would be to not try and unload LaVine. The trade kicker in his deal will make it interesting. He's just isn't a winning player. Somebody could be enticed by the scoring and the usage, who knows?

Their primary goal this offseason needs to be to regain some flexibility and rebuild draft assets. We're still going to owe a pick to San Antonio for DeMar, I believe. And we're likely not going to get that Portland pick conveyed anytime soon.
It's just another case of Murphy's law. AK took a gamble, and it just didn't work. Arguably, Vuc himself hasn't even been that bad, but the overall roster construction just didn't pan out. Ironically there have been even worse trades since then. Magic drafted well in Wagner, if they do so again at 11 you just gotta credit them for it. They could've just as easily drafted Ziaire Williams or someone like that in 2021 and then maybe it wouldn't look as bad.

Of course the first issue is building around Lavine as a franchise player, he is not that, but there's really only 10 or so players who are truly worth that title in the league, so that's not really his fault. Bulls could take a Sixers esque approach and tank until they draft a franchise level talent, but recent history is against them with that approach (ie the post Jimmy era Bulls couldn't ever win the lotto). They're paying for the wrong talent, but there hasn't really been a way to get that top tier talent in AK's tenure. They committed to attempting to be relevant, they succeeded for about 4 months and then everything exploded in the worst way.

The earliest that pick to the Spurs can convey is 2025 as they have lost their 2023 pick to the Magic. In theory if the Bulls did a full on tank for 5 years, they can keep that pick as it is top 10 protected in 2025 then top 8 protected for the next 2 years, turning into a 2028 2nd rounder at that point. Similarly the Portland pick is lotto protected until 2028. Bulls have both their picks in 2026 and their 1st in 2024 no matter what (I suppose they can trade that 2026 2nd, but usually 2nds are irrelevant for this franchise, they won't draft a Ginobili or something). So effectively, if the Bulls were to shift towards rebuilding in the draft, they can tank starting next season until 2028 and at the very least they'd keep their picks should they fall in pick 8 or higher.

Such a course will never happen though, even if AK committed to it, I'm sure he'd be out by 2026 even with whatever mystery extension he got if profits dip due to the tank. Jerry isn't going to want to be so irrelevant for 5+ years. Even after the dynasty it took them only 5 years to become relevant again.

Axl Rose

Liked Posts:
I believe there is a standing offer of the 23rd pick from Portland for their lotto protected pick back.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
In a perfect world, Ime would be coaching the Bulls next season, (Actually in a perfect world those accusations are never made against Adrian Griffin and he's going into year 3 as HC) but since we are fans of a Chicago franchise we're not allowed to have nice things. So we'll have Billy D for at least another season. Which is fine, he's a good coach. I don't happen to think he's an NBA championship coach.

I don't think there is anyone currently on the roster, Medium-3 included, that is going to bring back the draft capital that you desperately need. So light a candle, say a prayer, sacrifice a goat, or whatever it is that you do and maybe the Bulls hit that 8% chance.

tl;dr: The word of the offseason is: "bleak."

Correct. This new front office is a colossal failure. Zero draft picks, awful roster and a starting PG who might retire because his dipshit dad got him to wear some shoes that fucked up his health.

Trade DeRozan for a bag of chips if you can. Tank as best as you can in 2023.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Apparently DJJ has declined his player option so in theory between that and the cap being a little higher than projected, Bulls have the potential to actually have the full MLE at their disposal without going over the tax (assuming they re-sign their other FAs such as Vuc, Coby, Ayo and those numbers aren't absurd)

Doesn't move the needle at all, but nice to know in theory they can throw the full MLE at someone instead of lowballing because they're up against the tax threshold if they offer the full amount

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
Apparently DJJ has declined his player option so in theory between that and the cap being a little higher than projected, Bulls have the potential to actually have the full MLE at their disposal without going over the tax (assuming they re-sign their other FAs such as Vuc, Coby, Ayo and those numbers aren't absurd)

Doesn't move the needle at all, but nice to know in theory they can throw the full MLE at someone instead of lowballing because they're up against the tax threshold if they offer the full amount

Why re-sign Ayo? Not sure what he really offers that the Bulls need

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Why re-sign Ayo? Not sure what he really offers that the Bulls need
I mean I don't really care either way as his deal will probably be on the cheaper side, but knowing AK and the importance of "continuity" I wouldn't be surprised to see it happen. There's not really any FA that will really help the Bulls in a significant way.

Also just pointing out a scenario where the Bulls can still add a player at the full MLE after re-signing pretty much all their players, a scenario which was previously not possible based on the projections of still having DJJ's contract and the salary cap being ~3M lower than it actually ended up being.