2024 Bulls Offseason Thread

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I don’t follow the NBA like the rest of you. They acquired a man averaging less than four points a game and 2 second round draft picks. I know they made a lot of really bad trades, but this is actually considered good?

BNB

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Oakland Raiders
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I don’t follow the NBA like the rest of you. They acquired a man averaging less than four points a game and 2 second round draft picks. I know they made a lot of really bad trades, but this is actually considered good?

With DeMar being a free agent, he could have went elsewhere, and we would not have gotten back anything in return. So think of this as more of us getting back something instead of nothing.

Also, while 2nd round picks are generally worthless in the NBA, in recent years, teams have started to value them more. When you look at some guys that have come out of the 2nd round, like Nikola Jokic, Jalen Brunson, Draymond Green, an others, it's created more value for team, and that could benefit us in the future when looking to make a trade.

And since we're rebuilding, not taking back a huge contract for multiple years was important.

So the fact that we got a couple of picks and a cheap contract back is considered an okay trade.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
With DeMar being a free agent, he could have went elsewhere, and we would not have gotten back anything in return. So think of this as more of us getting back something instead of nothing.

Also, while 2nd round picks are generally worthless in the NBA, in recent years, teams have started to value them more. When you look at some guys that have come out of the 2nd round, like Nikola Jokic, Jalen Brunson, Draymond Green, an others, it's created more value for team, and that could benefit us in the future when looking to make a trade.

And since we're rebuilding, not taking back a huge contract for multiple years was important.

So the fact that we got a couple of picks and a cheap contract back is considered an okay trade.
And the ultimate Reinsdorf goal is the Bulls are 9.7 million under the luxury tax now.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
The should have traded him last year but the whole we are trying to win a play in game. Spurs made out great. Pick swaps are the new gold in the NBA. I dont see a good fit in Sacramento with Derozan but thats just me

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
The should have traded him last year but the whole we are trying to win a play in game. Spurs made out great. Pick swaps are the new gold in the NBA. I dont see a good fit in Sacramento with Derozan but thats just me
theres not really a good fit for Demar on any team in 2024 NBA basketball. he doesnt really help a team win important games with his ISO ball heavy 2 point midrange shots. its how you lose in todays NBA

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
theres not really a good fit for Demar on any team in 2024 NBA basketball. he doesnt really help a team win important games with his ISO ball heavy 2 point midrange shots. its how you lose in todays NBA
I agree. The Kings lack shooting and I dont know how you space Sabonis and Fox on the pick and roll with him.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Problem is Fox is a ball-dominant player and so is Demar. Demar simply only raises their offensive floor but Sacramento’s biggest weakness is only going to get worse, and that’s their defense. Bulls should have just ate Barnes’s contract and netted that first round pick swap in 2031. They could have dangled that pick along with LaVine to move him.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Jalen Smiths advance stats improve every year. Meh, who knows. He does make the most of his play time.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Problem is Fox is a ball-dominant player and so is Demar. Demar simply only raises their offensive floor but Sacramento’s biggest weakness is only going to get worse, and that’s their defense. Bulls should have just ate Barnes’s contract and netted that first round pick swap in 2031. They could have dangled that pick along with LaVine to move him.
If the bulls use a first rounder to attach to Lavine just to trade him, I’ll never watch another bulls game again. That would just be so damn pathetic to give away a 1st just to move a high salary guy. ZL can still play at a pretty high level

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I've missed a lot of discussion while on vacation so without reading any threads (I'll get to it eventually probably) I'll just put my thoughts on things here lol

Caruso-Giddey trade - feels bad at first, but really it depends on how you feel about Giddey's ability and potential. Idk how they didn't get any sort of picks in this trade, that's baffling. I think Giddey is a solid player and while he does not posses any of Caruso's strengths, he is a young player with a lot to prove this year, could be better than some will think. Fix this dude's shot and it really opens up things...but how many times have we heard that story?

DeMar S&T - frankly I'm just glad they got something back for him. The real win is that without DeMar, Bulls should certainly be a bottom 10 team this year in a good draft and solid position to keep their pick. Hate to see DeMar go after the success he's had with us here, but clearly we weren't going anywhere with him so it was time. Coulda woulda shoulda on trading him earlier, that's been the case for every core player on the team except probably Coby White

Jalen Smith - underrated pickup here I think. Stretch 5 who can protect the rim...solid role player on paper and young as well.

PWill extension - they better give this kid the ball now with DeMar out, even more so if Zach does finally end up elsewhere. The potential for a value contract is there, but obviously Pat hasn't done anything to make us of CCS believe he deserved it. I will say though that this is like getting a 9M/year contract 10-12 years ago (contracts have basically doubled since then) so it's not like the worst deal on the planet, but man we have got to see something more than 9-10ppg from Pat this year.

Matas Buzelis - can't really complain about getting this type of potential at 11. His shooting in the GLeague sucked, but some scouts were saying that might be due to the Ignite's overall terrible play more than him not being able to extend his range to NBA distance or length. Time will tell of course. If his shot goes back to being 40%+ from 3, we got a steal. Worst case we get a solid weak side rim protector who can do something offensively.

Last edited:

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
I've missed a lot of discussion while on vacation so without reading any threads (I'll get to it eventually probably) I'll just put my thoughts on things here lol

Caruso-Giddey trade - feels bad at first, but really it depends on how you feel about Giddey's ability and potential. Idk how they didn't get any sort of picks in this trade, that's baffling. I think Giddey is a solid player and while he does not posses any of Caruso's strengths, he is a young player with a lot to prove this year, could be better than some will think. Fix this dude's shot and it really opens up things...but how many times have we heard that story?

DeMar S&T - frankly I'm just glad they got something back for him. The real win is that without DeMar, Bulls should certainly be a bottom 10 team this year in a good draft and solid position to keep their pick. Hate to see DeMar go after the success he's had with us here, but clearly we weren't going anywhere with him so it was time. Coulda woulda shoulda on trading him earlier, that's been the case for every core player on the team except probably Coby White

Jalen Smith - underrated pickup here I think. Stretch 5 who can protect the rim...solid role player on paper and young as well.

PWill extension - they better give this kid the ball now with DeMar out, even more so if Zach does finally end up elsewhere. The potential for a value contract is there, but obviously Pat hasn't done anything to make us of CCS believe he deserved it. I will say though that this is like getting a 9M/year contract 10-12 years ago (contracts have basically doubled since then) so it's not like the worst deal on the planet, but man we have got to see something more than 9-10ppg from Pat this year.

Matas Buzelis - can't really complain about getting this type of potential at 11. His shooting in the GLeague sucked, but some scouts were saying that might be due to the Ignite's overall terrible play more than him not being able to extend his range to NBA distance or length. Time will tell of course. If his shot goes back to being 40%+ from 3, we got a steal. Worst case we get a solid weak side rim protector who can do something offensively.
Not much to catch up on after a low t mentally ill mod started race baiting and deleting posts. Good to see a rational normal mod wanting to discuss ball back!

Chief Walking Stick

Heeeh heeeeh he said POLES
Donator
Liked Posts:
Not much to catch up on after a low t mentally ill mod started race baiting and deleting posts. Good to see a rational normal mod wanting to discuss ball back!
With my photographic hunnybrane memory, I vividly recall Game 5 of the 1997 NBA Finals between the Chicago Bulls and the Utah Jazz. The series was tied 2-2, and the game took place at the Delta Center in Salt Lake City. Michael Jordan, visibly unwell from what was initially thought to be the flu but later suggested as food poisoning from a bad pizza, played with extraordinary determination. Despite his weak and dehydrated state, Jordan scored 17 points by halftime, showcasing remarkable resilience and skill.

As the game progressed, Jordan's legendary status was cemented. In the second half, he scored 38 points in total, including 15 in the fourth quarter, and hit a crucial three-pointer with 25 seconds left, leading the Bulls to a 90-88 victory. The image of Scottie Pippen helping an exhausted Jordan off the court after the final buzzer is etched in my mind. This game wasn't just a win; it was a testament to Jordan's unmatched mental toughness and competitive spirit. The Bulls went on to win Game 6 and clinch their fifth NBA championship, with Jordan named Finals MVP. The "Flu Game" remains one of the most iconic moments in sports history, a vivid memory of Jordan's relentless drive and greatness.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
With my photographic hunnybrane memory, I vividly recall Game 5 of the 1997 NBA Finals between the Chicago Bulls and the Utah Jazz. The series was tied 2-2, and the game took place at the Delta Center in Salt Lake City. Michael Jordan, visibly unwell from what was initially thought to be the flu but later suggested as food poisoning from a bad pizza, played with extraordinary determination. Despite his weak and dehydrated state, Jordan scored 17 points by halftime, showcasing remarkable resilience and skill.

As the game progressed, Jordan's legendary status was cemented. In the second half, he scored 38 points in total, including 15 in the fourth quarter, and hit a crucial three-pointer with 25 seconds left, leading the Bulls to a 90-88 victory. The image of Scottie Pippen helping an exhausted Jordan off the court after the final buzzer is etched in my mind. This game wasn't just a win; it was a testament to Jordan's unmatched mental toughness and competitive spirit. The Bulls went on to win Game 6 and clinch their fifth NBA championship, with Jordan named Finals MVP. The "Flu Game" remains one of the most iconic moments in sports history, a vivid memory of Jordan's relentless drive and greatness.
Fuckin a man!

cameronkrazie86

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Atlanta Braves
  1. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Vegas Golden Knights
  1. Duke Blue Devils
  2. Nebraska Cornhuskers

Elite memory, wow. I feel like I'm transported back to 1997 and watching it live all over again. Magical post!

BNB

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Oakland Raiders
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Has anyone been watching the summer league? How's our boy Matas looking?
The box score for his last game looks sexy. 28 points, hit 4 outta 8 threes, 45.5% overall from the field.

The first game looked rough on paper.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
The box score for his last game looks sexy. 28 points, hit 4 outta 8 threes, 45.5% overall from the field.

That first game was rough shooting for him. On offense he seems to be more aggressive, which has been my main criticism of PWill.

Reactions: BNB

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

Matas shooting has been a little inconsistent so far (bad, good, bad through 3 games from 3), but the entire SL team isn't really shooting well either. So that could just be a function of shot quality or just overall team struggles. He looks good defensively (at least in highlights, haven't watched any full possessions yet) and on paper if you just take out the bad shooting percentages, he's doing solid. Could rebound more, but it seems like Sanogo and Phillips are handling most of that, plus if you factor in that he's functioning as a weak side help defender/rim protector, probably harder for him to grab defensive boards all the time because he's probably forcing the miss

Reactions: BNB

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
It's going to take him years. Summer League for someone who came out of the G-League is taking away that opportunity from other players who need the NBA rules adjustment.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
It's going to take him years. Summer League for someone who came out of the G-League is taking away that opportunity from other players who need the NBA rules adjustment.
If the US could just use FIBA rules in HS and college we wouldn't really have this problem of adjusting to rules (except 3 in the key and goaltending, probably)